FROZEN (Food) Auto Feeder (3 Tank) *DIY*

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I post most of my Gizmo's and Project on my Threads....

However this might inspire someone (to make something similar)...
IF in need of Auto Feeding (when you have fish like mine, who won't eat Pellets), and My Copperbands won't eat anything but Frozen (So they starve with my Ehiem, Pellet, Flake Feeders)

This idea I came up with since I go away sometimes for a few days. Max a Week.

So this will work, and it will work on all my 3 Tanks

My original Plan was to get my mini fridge moved close to my Tanks, but then I found a Old DC powered Coolatron we never use, since too small. Drilling hole is a fridge isn't as easy as drilling Cooler. Safer too.

I'm basically re-using a Old DIY Doser, That I'm Replacing with a New Smart Doser.

2020-07-09_AquaNutriFrozenFeeder-1.jpg

So THe OLD Doser is being re-used and turned into a Vacation Frozen Feeder. (with a little creativity)

Pictures say it all....I can explain more if anyone is interested.

2020-07-09_AquaNutriFrozenFeeder-3.jpg

Simple re-use of exiting features in the DIY DOSER:

- The Coolatron Cooler (too Small for vacations) will be keep things cool on DC Power
- The Magenetic Stirred Run by the Doser will now Stirr up the Frozen Food Soup (Recipie=RoWater+cubes).
---------> The Stirrer is Made from a Computer Fan, Couple of Magnets, and one of those Flask Magnets for stirring.
- And The Doser will send Frozen, Cool Soup to the 3 Tanks (while I'm away)

Now I can go away and not have to have Reef Buddies or Family enter house to feed.

I tested it, and if you chill the water, add cubes while still frozen, they melt slowly, and the Stir up get's food to the dosing tubes.
The Cooler keep the food at nice Cool Temp, so food stay fresh in the Chilled RO Water, just like a fridge.
But not too cold so things Freeze (2.9 Degree C above Zero Freezing point)

2020-07-09_FrozenFeederCoolatronTemp.jpg

I use a flask to get enough Water into it, so it can send food via water to Tank (Cooler is in middle of tanks)
Might find a bigger jar that will fit into coolatron for more water (larger capacity, more time away feeding)

For The Regular Reach Tanks, I run tube into area of a Power Head.

2020-07-09_FrozenFeederPowerHead.jpg

Even my Upstairs Tank get's fed since I send food via dosing tube to Return Pump Area.

2020-07-09_FrozenFeederReturnPumpArea.jpg

Might even load it up once a week and Not have to feed the Tanks while at home.

FISH WILL LOVE IT :) :) Corals TOO!! :) :) :)

Last edited:

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad ***!!! I’ve been thinking about doing something similar for a while now. It’s cool to see something like it come together. Pretty cool man

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad ***!!! I’ve been thinking about doing something similar for a while now. It’s cool to see something like it come together. Pretty cool man
Thanks.

Yeah. It's a simple thing, but I stalled for ages when thinking about Damaging a Mini Fridge.
Label on back with the new Refrigerant say (EXPLOSIVE GAS). You gotta know where you drill and not hit a line.

When I found the OLD Cooltron, and a AC/DC Adapter, it was easy peasy.

I saw at Walmart Super Mini Coolatrons. You can get one of those for a Single Tank Setup.
Something like this one.
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/coca-c...0tWf7LdcrjB4B0wQEwcaAomGEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ONe more thing.....(Reverseing the dosing to return food back to Cooler)

Since My DIY doser can pump in both directions, I have to calibrate things for distance to make it work even better.

I can reverse the pumps and return the liquid frozen food back to the Coolatron Container.
That way the food in the dosing lines doesn't get warm from Room Temp sitting till next feeding.

Sure the Lines will still have to be cleaned every once in a while, but I haven't tested that.
Maybe not so bad. Since each feeding will flush most of the frozen food out.

I also don't stirr continously.
I stirr just before Dosing.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is great!!

jhall2242

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool! I think I might try a Pee Wee’s Playhouse trick and have an ice maker full of cubes dispense into a hand that launches them across the room into the tank. LOL

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome...thanks @WallyB for sharing this.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool! I think I might try a Pee Wee’s Playhouse trick and have an ice maker full of cubes dispense into a hand that launches them across the room into the tank. LOL
Well, thanks for the Idea. It might work for a Flask Refiller (in the Coolatron) LOL
This was just a prototype (before a rushed Cottage trip).
Making improvements for the Final Permament Design.

But for the Pee Wee machine, you'll need one of these......
...... that I just picked up (To start making Custom Frozen Remixed food for the Feeder).

2020-07-10_FrozenFoodTray.jpg

I've been looking for one of these for a while, and just found one at the LFS.
Small size cubes. Soft and flexible to pop them out.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HERE IS A PRE-VIEW of the Final WORKING (FROZEN AUTO FEEDER) .

NOT The Final Video
...... THE FISHY VIDEO (CLICK "PLAY" AND SEE)

More Details to come.....

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty neat

Serious question. Before you leave for a week and if you feed the fish like pigs beforehand isn't a fish ok without food for seven days because they can forage for pods and whatever else they take a liking to when getting hungry?

I guess seven days would be the max tho for very healthy fish in a diverse tank with lots of food around like algae and pods... anything longer I would worry.

In my case I always seem to be lucky enough to have someone around to feed but I do easily skip 1 or 2 days when I have to.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty neat

Serious question. Before you leave for a week and if you feed the fish like pigs beforehand isn't a fish ok without food for seven days because they can forage for pods and whatever else they take a liking to when getting hungry?

I guess seven days would be the max tho for very healthy fish in a diverse tank with lots of food around like algae and pods...
Well yes in most cases.
and I do add Pellet/Flake Feeder to each of my 4 tanks. When I go away.

But 3 Tanks have Copperband Butterflies, who won't eat anything except frozen.
They peck around (Eat Aptasia and Live Critter). No more Aptasia Left, and I'm a Nice to my Fish (when away).
Covid just made it tougher to have neighbour come over to feed.

However this works so good, it will be run every day for All 4 Tanks. Not just for Vacations.
I just Drop in a cube or two once a day or every few days. It feeds 4 times a day. On Time. Smaller portions. Less waste.
I'll be free to do other stuff.
It feeds all 4 Tanks from the single feeder.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back