Frozen food - can it kill?

Futuretotm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question for the pros here.

Scenario: PE mysis shrimp frozen go bad for example in my LFS - Due to being thawed.

Remember that freezing will kill vibrio etc, however it’s endotoxins are not neutralized

Similarly in humans, eating an over cooked steak can give you food poisoning (if it was previously left at room temp)

So the question is, can frozen food kill?

#reefsquad

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a loaded question. There are certainly variables that can happen. From what I understand PE mysis are flash frozen to avoid any time to allow them to rot and allowing them retain shape, color, nutrients, etc. There certainly are scenarios where from distributer to LFS to home where they can be thawed (this has happened to me). A simple smell test may help in this case. Mysis don’t have a strong smell really so if they smell bad, I would throw out.

My question is: did something bad happen when using this product? I have seen many people blame frozen foods for fish deaths and many people say they use the same products with no problem. It’s easy to point the finger at one thing while not knowing or exploring other possibilities.

OP
OP
Futuretotm

Futuretotm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a loaded question. There are certainly variables that can happen. From what I understand PE mysis are flash frozen to avoid any time to allow them to rot and allowing them retain shape, color, nutrients, etc. There certainly are scenarios where from distributer to LFS to home where they can be thawed (this has happened to me). A simple smell test may help in this case. Mysis don’t have a strong smell really so if they smell bad, I would throw out.

My question is: did something bad happen when using this product? I have seen many people blame frozen foods for fish deaths and many people say they use the same products with no problem. It’s easy to point the finger at one thing while not knowing or exploring other possibilities.
No deaths. However, my corals seem to react adversely (close up) and there is a almost a mini-bacterial bloom
Again the above two could be from something else as well.

Back