Frozen food leftovers

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning Reefers!

Question, when I make my cup of frozen food and add my garlic. I let it sit out for a bit to thaw. Then I add to my tank but if I notice my fish not eating as much I stop and I will place the food in the refrigerator for the next day..

Is this an OK practice? How long until the thawed out food go bad?

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning Reefers!

Question, when I make my cup of frozen food and add my garlic. I let it sit out for a bit to thaw. Then I add to my tank but if I notice my fish not eating as much I stop and I will place the food in the refrigerator for the next day..

Is this an OK practice? How long until the thawed out food go bad?

I would re-freeze it if leaving overnight. If it passes the smell test then you can use it again.

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will thaw out food (Mysis and Rod's) and let it sit for the good part of the day, feeding intermittently all day long. I have to admit I have also let it sit all night by mistake. I have still put it in my tank without any issues. The fish gobble it up as does the coral. If it gets too funky... smellwise... I will toss it.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will thaw out food (Mysis and Rod's) and let it sit for the good part of the day, feeding intermittently all day long. I have to admit I have also let it sit all night by mistake. I have still put it in my tank without any issues. The fish gobble it up as does the coral. If it gets too funky... smellwise... I will toss it.

Cool. If I have left overs I will put it in the refrigerator. I wonder if the same rule applies like human food. If you unfreeze something you should never re-freeze it..

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just toss it in your coffee like a flavored creamer. Cold its ok in fridge. Warm for longer than 1 hour I toss it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back