Frozen food - Meeting on 12/7

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, I was on my evening medication when all that started in the first place. That was a contributing factor to the accident. I don't have a lot of pain now as long as I don't try to raise my arm or reach out with it. The worst part is sleeping. I have some opiods but I only take one at bedtime. I guess that helps but I can't really tell much difference. The doc at the ER said not to take my usual evening medications while I'm taking the med as I might go to sleep and never wake up.

TracyLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Y’all have a good time, I thought it best not to attend, yesterday I was down with a stomach bug & certainly didn’t want to share it. Hope to see you guys next time.

DirtMcGurt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a great time at the meeting yesterday and thanks again @Tomoko Schum for hosting and for the free food!

Can you tell me the name of that blenny we were talking about that you have in your tank. It eats several different types of algae and starts with an M. I think. I'm so bad with names that I already forgot...

OP
OP
Tomoko Schum

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a Molly Miller Blenny. Here's a write-up on it.

Molly Miller Blenny is a good algae eater.
I recall visiting Verdell one afternoon and surprised to see that her tank was free of algae that I saw a week or two before. She had thick mats of algae covering up many of her rocks, but they were all gone. So I asked her how she managed to clean up so well so quickly. She told me that it was her Molly Miller Blenny (Beaslbob always called it Martin Miller, though).

Molly Miller is also good at controlling Aiptasia.
I added one in my old tank in the hope of eradicating Aiptasia about four or five years ago. Before I got him, I tried Aiptasia eating file fish that someone in the club loaned me. He ate all aiptasia, but the aiptasia came back after I returned him to the owner (and not before cleaning up my nice radioactive green zoa colony overnight.) The Molly Miller Blenny ate all the Aiptasia, and I never saw any sprouting back. He must have been eating them as soon as they tried to come out again from the deep crevice of rocks.

Aquatic Cove only occasionally had them, but Pete at the Aquarium Shop got them in quickly for me. Pete had a few good suppliers and could get any fish that I asked quickly. The fish he got me was always very healthy, too. I wonder if Tony's Aquarium can get them easily. Sustainable Aquatics used to captive bred them. They may still do.

DirtMcGurt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like a fantastic little fish. I dont have very much algae but there is some and a couple aiptasia in my tank. I'll start looking into them now and see it I can keep one. I will definitely ask around once all the shops are fully operational again. Or check Tony's next time I'm in Guntersville. If all else fails I will look into Sustainable Aquatics.

OP
OP
Tomoko Schum

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you have any problem keeping one. Mine eats any food that fits in his mouth. He is usually the first one to come to the feeding station.

There are other fish, snails, and sea slugs that can control algae and aiptasia as you know. Molly Miller seems to be an all-in-one option.

DirtMcGurt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always liked the Blenny too. I lost a Starry blenny to velvet (I believe) and have missed having one perched on my rocks. So a Molly Miller seems like a perfect fit. I sent Tony's a message on Facebook asking about the blenny and saw where they announced opening "next week" on a post from Dec. 7th. So it should be opened this week. I'm waiting on a reply for a solid date but I'll let y'all know. Unless you already know lol.

GrumpyDaddy68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Tomoko, thanks a lot for hosting and thanks to everybody for all good suggestions and goodies.

I hope we can meet some other time in the near future.

Regards,

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back