FROZEN FOOD STORAGE..?

EW_Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is everyone storing their frozen foods?

-Do you leave them in the zip lock they came in?
-Do you break it down and store in containers?

Just curious how everyone is storing their frozen foods

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is everyone storing their frozen foods?

-Do you leave them in the zip lock they came in?
-Do you break it down and store in containers?

Just curious how everyone is storing their frozen foods

I usually leave them in the original packaging unless I need to split it up for some reason.

miPapareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually break off about a weeks worth piece out of the original packageand put it in a ziplock storage bag. I then break it into individual serving sizes. That way the main piece doesn’t thaw and refreeze, and I can keep the original bag in good shape until it’s all gone.

Also if I go out of town I make individual sandwich bags for each days worth of food. Helps the tank sitter not over feed.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the original ziplock they came in until I split the bag, then I place them in another ziplock.
Oh I hate it when the bag splits! It seems to do it almost immediately upon opening for me!

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what also happens to me. So searching for ideas on how people store it
I've just started buying it in frozen cubes... easy to thaw one cube and that feeds mine for 2 days.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also buy cubes. I also like the hikari that comes in individual sealed saucers.

Crimson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use two food groups:

Group A: I buy several types of frozen food (mysis, spirulina brine shrimp, copepods, PE Calanus) and place them all in a freezer zip lock bag. I then take out the food I will use for a week or two, thaw it in the fridge or running cold water. Mix it up add some Boyd Vitachem, seachem focus and garlic. I then re-refreeze in a smaller zip lock bag spreading it thin.

If in treatment mode I also add seachem metroplex to the above.

Group B: LRS reef frenzy nano. This I will just put in a freezer bag.

Freezer burn is never a good thing.

Last edited:

BigHildy53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use two food groups:

Group A: I buy several types of frozen food (mysis, spirulina brine shrimp, copepods, PE Calanus) and place them all in a freezer zip lock bag. I then take out the food I will use for a week or two, thaw it in the fridge or running cold water. Mix it up add some Boyd Vitachem, seachem focus and garlic. I then re-refreeze in a smaller zip lock bag spreading it thin.

If in treatment mode I also add seachem metroplex to the above.

Group B: LRS reef frenzy nano. This I will just put in a freezer bag.

Freezer burn is never a good thing.
Are you concerned about loss due to the thaw and refreeze? Or does thawing slowly in the fridge degate the concern?

Crimson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you concerned about loss due to the thaw and refreeze? Or does thawing slowly in the fridge degate the concern?

You can always refreeze raw food after thawing in a fridge that's under 42 degrees. Yes, technically some moisture is loss during the re-freezing process and this can affect taste, with some nutrients lost as well. However, it's a relatively small amount.

Never thaw any food over the counter (yes, especially human food). If you need to thaw food quickly then running it under cold water will work (not sitting in cold water either). The best and safest way to thaw food is in the fridge. The idea is to inhibit bacteria growth in the food. Which makes the fridge the first choice for thawing.

I only do the above to add some extra vitamins, garlic, treatment items and to combine different previous separated frozen foods together. The cubes are too big for my stock and would be wasted. Also, some of my fish think they are royalty and only eat what they want.

Neptune 2k

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making my own food I keep the frozen food in the ice tray and keep it covered in foil.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back