frozen food storing

Alcasrac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi all.
i know is bit silly question, but can i store frozen food in the fridge just keep it cool until i feed again on same day, so max 12hours? or just throw away?

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi all.
i know is bit silly question, but can i store frozen food in the fridge just keep it cool until i feed again on same day, so max 12hours? or just throw away?
I keep mine in a little jar in the fridge and use it for multiple days. One cube of mysis and cyclops each will last my 20 gallon reef 3-4 days. Just don't forget about it because the smell is horrendous if you find it after a couple of weeks ;Vomit

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not. While it's probably okay for 12hrs I just wouldn't take the risk. Would you store frozen human food that did not require defrosting in the fridge for 12hrs then eat it?

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not. While it's probably okay for 12hrs I just wouldn't take the risk. Would you store frozen human food that did not require defrosting in the fridge for 12hrs then eat it?

Yes, absolutely. If you take a steak out of the freezer, it can easily spend a week probably more in the fridge before use, no issues....

Scotty Buttons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I store a small container that has a little bit of tank water and 1 or 2 cubes of frozen food thawed in it in my fridge for usually 3-4 days at a time. I've had some in my fridge for 5-6 days with no problem, If it starts to smell bad then I wouldn't use it.

OP
OP
A

Alcasrac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool thanks.
normally i just use 12ml syringe take in 2 half cubes and suck up tank water from sump. wait until melt away and just give them. the extra go to the fridge. cool so not a problem.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to the New York State Dept. Of Health, this is exactly how your supposed to thaw frozen food, and the only acceptable way according to them.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi all.
Maybe I’m misunderstanding, but it seems that there are two scenarios here: (1) if I take frozen meat/fish food and defrost/“slack” it in the refrigerator then how long will it keep? (2) if I take meat/fish food and completely thaw it (in water, in this case) then put it in the refrigerator, how long will it keep? There are a lot of variables, but in a rough generality, IMHO situation #1 may be a week or so, whereas situation #2 may be a matter of hours. Obviously there are multiple perspectives so be safe and take care of your fish well!

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make 3-4 days worth at a time but the key to keeping the food fresh is to dethaw in the fridge vs. letting it fully dethaw at room temperature and then refrigerating. Takes about 24 hours to dethaw in the fridge so you need to prep a day ahead. If it never leaves the fridge there is no issue.

reelredfisah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also store a mix in the fridge. Cause I will mix about 3 or 4 diff cubes in a little RODI water. I will use it to feed during the week.

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are you guys going on about??? fish regularly eat rotting stuff in the ocean.

i use a small glass yogurt jar and thaw a cube of mysis and brine shrimp in RODI and a pinch of pellet food to soften up. it lasts my 14G at least 4 days. doesn't smell bad at all unless I forget to put it in the fridge and definitely isn't harming anything... some of you guys are wayyyy to careful on this stuff lol.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back