Frozen Foods: How do you prepare and feed?

Frozen Foods: How do you prepare and feed?

• thaw, Rinse, Strain, with RO/DI water then feed

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • thaw in RO/DI water then dump in tank

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • thaw in tank water then dump in tank

Votes: 15 62.5%
  • drop frozen into tank

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to know how everyone prepared the frozen foods they feed their fish. I have seen that some people rinse them in RO/DI water,strain them and then feed. Some mix in a cup of RO/DI water to thaw then just dump into the tank. Some mix in a cup of tank water to thaw then dump into the tank. Then there are some that just throw the cubes in the tank and let melt. I normally just mix with RO/DI water and then dump into the tank. I have read that you should rinse with RO/DI water then strain it to remove any impurities and such.
I was just curious how everyone else did it. Let me know your thoughts or if there is another way I am missing.

Thanks

Paul

cloakerpoked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well there's the way I used to do it before I started paying more attn....thaw in tap water then toss it in :squigglemouth:

Spiderwoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of the options!

I thaw mine in vitamin and some other extracts (depends on what I'm feeding) or fresh garlic juice. I don't add any water into that and definitely don't dump everything into the tank. No need for too much excess nutrients to get in there. I use SS tweezers to grab food from the cup and then place that in front of a powerhead to distribute to the tank. I usually have all my fish schooling in front of the tank waiting for me to start the feeding.

buck50bmg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wash PE Mysis in tank water 2-3 times. Its really oily so it needs more cleaning.

I know that you are suspossed to thaw in tank water, since its the same or close to the osmotic pressure of the mysis, otherwise you could rupture the mysis bodies and not get the good stuff into your fish.

Spiderwoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny story from yesterday. I took a piece of Rod's Food from the freezer and put it in my feeding cup, took it upstairs to my office where I have my RSM nano and frag tank and thought I'd let it thaw out and then feed the tanks.
Later in the day I'm wondering what the heck is that stink near my table. Later in the evening I found the cup and had not fed the tanks :)

vetteman

licking zoa's
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny story from yesterday. I took a piece of Rod's Food from the freezer and put it in my feeding cup, took it upstairs to my office where I have my RSM nano and frag tank and thought I'd let it thaw out and then feed the tanks.
Later in the day I'm wondering what the heck is that stink near my table. Later in the evening I found the cup and had not fed the tanks :)

That's what happens when we get old.... my wife usually finds the cups first..

miatawnt2b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make my own food from the grocery store. I use frozen raw shrimp, raw scallops, raw smelt, romaine, broccoli. Throw it into a blender until mush. Freeze into sticks. Then I cut off a piece, thaw in tank water and dump.
-J

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i use a specimen cup..I thaw out 3-4 cubs at a time so it last me 2-3days.
I melt it in tank water..then dump in a brine net..pour ro water over it..fill the cup back with water and put the rinsed off food in..then I just use my syringe and suck out what i need to feed that tank..then I dont have to constantly cut up cubes and melt them

Kimberly63

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my baby onyx clowns were smaller - about 1/4" - I would thaw rotifers and mash up a little flake in with it and feed them.

Now they are about 1/2", I thaw a mixture of daphnia, cyclopeeze, and baby brine in a lil tank water and target feed them. I feed them very small amounts at a time but several times a day. Whatever is left floating (they are truely pigs, so not much is left), I let my corals feed on. I do 30% water changes to make sure my parameters don't get out of wack.

One cube would last me a week or so.

What type of strainer do you guys use?

OP
OP
Paul_N

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kimberly, great info! I have not had the opportunity to look at it from the perspective of raising babies.

I do not use a strainer but will be starting. I know I have read that some people get the plastic coffee filters that you can re-use forever.

cherokee_dude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what happens when we get old.... my wife usually finds the cups first..
haha...
I forgot my cup of thawed goo (Mysis, Krill, Brine and Cyclopeez) in my canopy under halides and never got back to the second feeding.

I'll let you imagine the response from my wife :tongue:

I thaw cubes in a cup with TW, then it's a dump and done.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back