Frozen Shrimp with no Chemical Preservatives?

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for wild caught frozen shrimp with no chemical preservatives, I currently feed my sharks wild caught shrimp and calamari. The shrimp has a preservative (sodium bisulfite) and the calamari does not. I can't seem to find wild caught shrimp without chemical preservatives so any help with direction would be much appreciated.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get my shrimp from
a butcher shop, wild-caught and no preservatives..... I think you’re gonna have to work on local options. I live in the land of hipsters and crunchy hippies, which has its advantages

OP
OP
K

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get my shrimp from
a butcher shop, wild-caught and no preservatives..... I think you’re gonna have to work on local options. I live in the land of hipsters and crunchy hippies, which has its advantages
Actually I think wegmans has wild caught no preservatives. I'll have to go there and double check.

OP
OP
K

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get my shrimp from
Do you freeze your shrimp?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get my frozen shrimp from Walmart, here's the ingredients: shrimp, water, salt, sodium tripolyphosphate(to retain moisture). I'm kinda a snob so buying my shrimp from Walmart bugged me, but I had the same problem trying to find frozen shrimp without additives. While stpp is probably not that great, it's the safest route I've found. While finding a fresh alternative may be your only other option.

OP
OP
K

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get my frozen shrimp from Walmart, here's the ingredients: shrimp, water, salt, sodium tripolyphosphate(to retain moisture). I'm kinda a snob so buying my shrimp from Walmart bugged me, but I had the same problem trying to find frozen shrimp without additives. While stpp is probably not that great, it's the safest route I've found. While finding a fresh alternative may be your only other option.
Yes I have to look around, not much in my area.

Bhor217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had luck getting fresh seafood (shrimp, clams, etc) from the Asian markets in my area, I am located in Chicago and have the luck of being near 2. I would recommend checking one out if you are near one.

The cost is extremely consumer friendly, and many varieties are available.

I do freeze the seafood I buy from there, as I look at freezing fresh seafood with 0 preservatives as better than buying frozen seafood with preservatives.

ectoaesthetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can often find Patagonia pink shrimp with just salt. Trader Joe’s or a Kroger’s will often have them.

Armt350

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get my wild caught shrimp and clams from Wegmans and my local price chopper. Occasionally I have to specifically request the stuff at price chopper but they come within a few days.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 53 48.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 55.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.3%
Back