Frozen vs live? What do you prefer?

Red Sea Prophet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well R2R family,
God bless on this Tuesday morning. I have great news!!!! for those following me or who have peeked at my threads. Today I attempted to feed Waldo my barbed scorpionfish frozen food. After I thawed out appropriately I used a kebab wooded stick to place thawed out mahi mahi he loved it!!!! and ate twice. It has only been a couple days since feeding ghost shrimps. I don’t like feeding live fish but when he arrived I gave him two I would not do that again. I love fishes to much and why give live fish if there is plenty frozen available. I guess it’s a personal choice. Anyways, I wanted to share the good news that my first scorp is on frozen mahi-mahi. I am still waiting on my shipment of my other two scorps the fuzzy dwarf lion and leaf fish. I hope they wean to frozen as quickly as Waldo lol.
take care family,
Red Sea Prophet

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most predators fed a dead diet do not live a long life. There are many kinds of nutrients in a whole fish as compared to a lump of fish muscle.
My Lions get live fish and shrimp every day and my other fish get live worms to go with their frozen food.

Upvote 0

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most predators fed a dead diet do not live a long life. There are many kinds of nutrients in a whole fish as compared to
a lump of fish muscle.
This is exactly what I was referring to in my post. Well said Ned!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Red Sea Prophet

Red Sea Prophet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your depriving a predator what they are put on this planet to do.... Predate.

Seems kind of cruel to me.

if feeding live foods doesn't sit well with you, maybe you shouldn't be keeping predators?
You misunderstood I don’t mind it just trying to give a choice and variety. I do feed ghost shrimp which is live. Maybe I was not clear. I rather give frozen fish and live ghost.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Red Sea Prophet

Red Sea Prophet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most predators fed a dead diet do not live a long life. There are many kinds of nutrients in a whole fish as compared to a lump of fish muscle.
My Lions get live fish and shrimp every day and my other fish get live worms to go with their frozen food.
I will take that into consideration cause I love my fish and I have been in the hobby and know the deal. Thank you will accept your advice

Upvote 0

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tiny fuzzy dwarf lions seem to prefer small live shrimp over anything else until they grow a bit. To get mine to eat at first I had to put the shrimp within 2 inches of his face.
Now he is an accomplished hunter.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Red Sea Prophet

Red Sea Prophet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said it’s my first predator and I was observing what he prefer. I was just saying that he accepted frozen but I have been giving him blue damsels since I got him with ghost. Today I attempted the frozen fish and he enjoyed it. I will give a variety of meals and hopefully he will be with me for a long time.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Red Sea Prophet

Red Sea Prophet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tiny fuzzy dwarf lions seem to prefer small live shrimp over anything else until they grow a bit. To get mine to eat at first I had to put the shrimp within 2 inches of his face.
Now he is an accomplished hunter.

When they get here I will try to see what he prefers live included.

Upvote 0

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To keep predators look up thiaminase. Avoid foods that have it.

I have 3 lions and none of the look at dead food. If I kill a shrimp getting it to the tank they will not look at it because it doesnt move. I feed other fish in the tank frozen and give the eels chunky foods so they have the opportunity to eat it.
They never have.

Upvote 0

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well R2R family,
God bless on this Tuesday morning. I have great news!!!! for those following me or who have peeked at my threads. Today I attempted to feed Waldo my barbed scorpionfish frozen food. After I thawed out appropriately I used a kebab wooded stick to place thawed out mahi mahi he loved it!!!! and ate twice. It has only been a couple days since feeding ghost shrimps. I don’t like feeding live fish but when he arrived I gave him two I would not do that again. I love fishes to much and why give live fish if there is plenty frozen available. I guess it’s a personal choice. Anyways, I wanted to share the good news that my first scorp is on frozen mahi-mahi. I am still waiting on my shipment of my other two scorps the fuzzy dwarf lion and leaf fish. I hope they wean to frozen as quickly as Waldo lol.
take care family,
Red Sea Prophet
God bless you as well. Congrats on your feeding success. You know, if there’s are “Christian pet……it’s a fish! :)

Upvote 0

jmanrow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said it’s my first predator and I was observing what he prefer. I was just saying that he accepted frozen but I have been giving him blue damsels since I got him with ghost. Today I attempted the frozen fish and he enjoyed it. I will give a variety of meals and hopefully he will be with me for a long time.
If you're feeding your predators frozen fish or shrimp, be sure it is the salt water variety. Freshwater fish do not contain the necessary highly unsaturated fatty acids that are needed. I also agree that soaking the food for 5 minutes in Selcon will benefit your fish greatly. Feeder goldfish are the worst thing to feed marine fish. I have seen many lions and puffers waste away on a diet of feeder goldfish.

Upvote 0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back