Frustrated

Slapnuts65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi new to saltwater(be gentle)have a 123l fluval flex marine tank using media baskets with biohome marine media..started fishless cycle with dr tims one and only and ammonia been cycling for 4 week now 0 ammonia but nitrites are very high been high for 2 week and got reading for nitrates.photo not to good but a rough idea of what going on using api saltwater test kit but have brought salifert test kits for if and when cycle happens.

20210730_135605.jpg

Smprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to chime in quickly...IMHO, this is normal. Sometimes it just takes longer to complete the cycle. It will cycle through, just hang in there. I had a similar experience and started to worry, but all I can say is just give it more time.

OP
OP
S

Slapnuts65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to chime in quickly...IMHO, this is normal. Sometimes it just takes longer to complete the cycle. It will cycle through, just hang in there. I had a similar experience and started to worry, but all I can say is just give it more timedon't mind waiting was worried incase something I could do I'll just hang on.cheers.

Just wanted to chime in quickly...IMHO, this is normal. Sometimes it just takes longer to complete the cycle. It will cycle through, just hang in there. I had a similar experience and started to worry, but all I can say is just give it

Just wanted to chime in quickly...IMHO, this is normal. Sometimes it just takes longer to complete the cycle. It will cycle through, just hang in there. I had a similar experience and started to worry, but all I can say is just give it more time.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Forgot to put that bit using marco rock.
I don't know if you want to keep a sterile tank. But I personally find live rock, even if its 10% of the dead rock weight, it helps a ton with cycling an aquarium. I have never had issues with live rock, but tons with dead rock.

So, if you have a lfs who sells live rock, try to get a few lbs. Up to you.

OP
OP
S

Slapnuts65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if you want to keep a sterile tank. But I personally find live rock, even if its 10% of the dead rock weight, it helps a ton with cycling an aquarium. I have never had issues with live rock, but tons with dead rock.

So, if you have a lfs who sells live rock, try to get a few lbs. Up to you.
To be honest I wish I had gone live rock but read could cause problems so thought I'd go dry.would half dry half live rock work?

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To be honest I wish I had gone live rock but read could cause problems so thought I'd go dry.would half dry half live rock work?
Absolutely. It's what i did. Since live rock is out of the roof in price. But so worth it. The only issue with live rock is, pest removal. It's not as bad as most make it out to be.

Back