fu manchu lionfish tank mates

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those guys grow quite small, could they live with large gobies, clownfish, royal grammas, longnose hawkfish, anthias, and cardinal fish? If not, are there smaller lionfish besides them? Thanks
enchanted kingdom fish GIF by BBC America

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you didn't start them out too big, yes. The fu is very difficult fish even if cared for properly.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always wondered this myself because the fu was one of the first saltwater fish I was introduced to. I have not seen one for sale in years. The fuzzy loin fish or dwarf lion fish would also be cool to see in a reef

J Fornshell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would also like to know what kind of tankmates the fu manchu has, im thinking of putting one with my snowflake eel reef tank

Orion1885

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those guys grow quite small, could they live with large gobies, clownfish, royal grammas, longnose hawkfish, anthias, and cardinal fish? If not, are there smaller lionfish besides them? Thanks
enchanted kingdom fish GIF by BBC America
I wouldnt trust a dwarf lion species with any fish I wouldnt be willing to lose. I had a fu man chu eat a nice size six line wrasse when I owned one

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Fu Manchu Lionfish and Snowfloke eel about 10 years ago on my first FOWLR tank. Anything that can fit in that lionfish’s mouth will be ate! It ate a fairly large sized maroon clownfish I had. I kept it with Triggerfish & Yellow Tang.

I was a super NOOB but that Fu Manchu was one of the prettiest dang fish I’ve ever owned and I’ve had lots of fish since then!

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a Fu Manchu work with other dwarf lionfish? I know the other dwarf lions can get along with each other fine, I’m just wondering if the Fu Manchu being smaller than the others would get it eaten.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can live happily with all the other lions, they are not so small to eaten. A fu will eat fish in the sixline/damsel size range and smaller, as long as sized appropriately larger species will not be threatened. The fu is likely the most difficult lion to care for, and rarely live long if live foods are not included in their diet. If you click my name and "find all threads" you can find tons of info on their care.

1643430669835.png

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can live happily with all the other lions, they are not so small to eaten. A fu will eat fish in the sixline/damsel size range and smaller, as long as sized appropriately larger species will not be threatened. The fu is likely the most difficult lion to care for, and rarely live long if live foods are not included in their diet. If you click my name and "find all threads" you can find tons of info on their care.

1643430669835.png
Thank you! One probably ridiculous follow-up question: I know anglers are generally recommended to be kept in species tanks, but could Fu Manchus or other appropriately sized dwarfs be kept in a tank with anglers? Because I love look of anglerfish, but I know they’re not exactly super active/interesting fish to watch most of the time.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! One probably ridiculous follow-up question: I know anglers are generally recommended to be kept in species tanks, but could Fu Manchus or other appropriately sized dwarfs be kept in a tank with anglers? Because I love look of anglerfish, but I know they’re not exactly super active/interesting fish to watch most of the time.

The wartskin angler is compatible with the dwarf lions, appropriately sized. Lions will eat what can fit in their mouths and anglers can eat fish equal to their own size. I wouldn't recommend any of the larger anglers. The marble mouth is one that doesn't get that large and with care could also work.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back