Fudsey's 135.4 Box of Water

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am really sorry Keith, it is a real bummer.
Have you check if there are electrical strays in your tank? Or perhaps a bad crab or shrimp? Peppermint shrimps can turn bad.

If there is a friendly LFS near you, they could host your corals while you find the culprit, if not maybe a fellow reefer?

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@PanchoG no stray current as I would feel that. My hand is in the tank daily for feeding. I could have got them out if I did it long ago. I believe if I even try to move them the stress would just do them in. Stuff happens..... that's all there is to it.

I've been low dosing iodine every day since I got the ICP test back and they just seem to be hanging on by a thread. I should get a test kit for it and check to see where it is to be sure.

U

User1

View Badges
@PanchoG no stray current as I would feel that. My hand is in the tank daily for feeding. I could have got them out if I did it long ago. I believe if I even try to move them the stress would just do them in. Stuff happens..... that's all there is to it.

I've been low dosing iodine every day since I got the ICP test back and they just seem to be hanging on by a thread. I should get a test kit for it and check to see where it is to be sure.

What ICP test did you go with? I use ATI's and from time to time it will report low iodine and provides a recommended dose. Oddly enough my results from last week reported low iodine. Test results before came out ok. So I believe when I dose it seems to be ok.

I normally do not dose it so tend to play it safe since I'm ignorant :)

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea colors (iodine etc) can dose by calcium use if that’s helpful till you get a test kit
Mixed Reef & SPS Dominant systems - Dosing by calcium (coral growth) demand
Calculate the daily or weekly dose of each supplement according to the dosage of Red Sea’s FoundationTM supplements or to a known uptake of calcium. (Add 1ml of Color supplement for every 20ppm of Calcium added per 100 liters (25 gal) of aquarium water or for every 2g of calcium uptake.)

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saf1 I used ATI and my last one from them did also show low iodine. At that time I bought some and dosed it the recommended doses. This time I just have continued dosing it.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got a Red Sea Ive never used. I can drop it in the mail this week/weekend if you want it?

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got a Red Sea Ive never used. I can drop it in the mail this week/weekend if you want it?
Yes please and thank you:)

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

To me, this is what R2R is all about. Well, that and dishing out sarcasm and busting chops!

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fudsy good to hear things have slowed. I recall my Iodine was in the toilet when things went south, the fuge and less frequent water changes is what I blame.
I'm surprised there is not much discussion about it with the current fuge craze.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fudsy good to hear things have slowed. I recall my Iodine was in the toilet when things went south, the fuge and less frequent water changes is what I blame.
I'm surprised there is not much discussion about it with the current fuge craze.

your fuge was causing issues? I shut mine down a couple months ago and I swear my tank seems to be doing better.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I discovered fuges are like having a planted tank tied into a salt tank. If you got the time and more time they are probably worth it. You still need to do weekly water changes to replenish elements stripped from the tank or do monthly icp and then add all the stuff back in you stripped, and clean the funk out of the sump and dont forget the stump killer, you got to mix some of that and dose and test. Then clean and test your display if you have time. :eek:
Simon has the ticket in the twins.
I wounder why BRS has removed theirs from the 360 and NONE of their show tanks have a fuge #walkthetalk
If you really want to know how I feel about fuges just ask :p

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you’re dosing Iodine now Fuds but I wonder if dosing something like Brightwell’s Chaeto Grow or Replenish wouldn’t also be a good idea? I can say that even running Triton and dosing their 4 part I still have to do a weekly maintenance dose of Iron, Iodine, Molybdenum and Brightwell Replenish (Which has a few elements in it I can’t currently remember) to keep up with everything my Fuge sucks out.

Your corals need some of that stuff just as much as the chaeto does. Food for thought I‘d say.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your corals need some of that stuff just as much as the chaeto does. Food for thought I‘d say.
Exactly my point, if you have time to chase mother nature than fuges are the way to go :rolleyes: BTW I always thought algae
scrubbers were the least sexy piece of equipment, now I find them attractive. :p

SORRY fuds for venting on your thread

Last edited:

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear you're making some progress on this issue.. glad you didn't throw in the towel because your tank looks great, regardless of the loss you've been having.

Does gha strip iodine? Now I'm all worried that my soon to be giant gha scrubber will leave me in fuds situation.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awaiting my icp anxiously to give u some results from rpm blue with redsea 4 part colors program. I am using the ratio ray mentioned based on PPM Ca absorption rates of the reef.

All I have done in the last 4-5 weeks is top off 3 gallons of fresh mixed when the SG dropped to .024. I just sped the return pump up a bit and added the 3g until I hit the mark in the sump.

When I get some results I'll let u know so at least see how the levels compare. Hahg tough bud. Its gonna bounce back soon. Cheers.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 20 51.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 22 56.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • None.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.7%
Back