Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great. :)

Thanks Simon ! ! ! :)

Wow it really has filled in quickly and nicely! Hope you wake up to a lucky anemone!

Thanks CM ! ! ! It didn't happen last night and I got a good look at the foot when lights were out. The foot is a lot bigger then it was at @jsak1976's but I am still unsure. I was going to do as @Amoo suggested and take a pic but forgot to charge my phone. I going to turn off the pump and take a one later when it's charged and see what I can see.

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today's parameters

Sal - 1.0245
dkH - 7.67
PO4 - .031
Ca - 440
Mg - 1440
pH - 8.2
NO3 - <1

Dosed some NeoNitro to bring up the NO3 but everything else seems to be right in line to where it's been.
Funny thing, the pH in this tank never varies, it's always 8.2. I have tested a different times of the day but never at night. I really should test it early one morning and see if changes.

Tang is looking great and the fuzziness that was on his side and around his mouth is gone. Still won't stay still for a second and is all over the tank. Rest of the fish look really good, including snow white after going carpet surfing.

I moved the Trachys a little on Sat. morning to separate them so they aren't overlapping each other and they are both still po'd at me for doing it. We'll see how long they stay separated this time.... :)

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a couple pics, not good ones mind you...

1st one you can see the main mouth I believe. 2nd one looks like where it is splitting the mantle??

Nem7.jpg

Nem8.jpg

Not positive but looks kinda like it is. The 3 long tentacles center left keep blocking where I think a mouth is forming...

And a new FTS actually with fish visible... lol :)

Day146.jpg

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fudsey,
Gotta love your 2 spot and your 135.4 is grooving right along... ;Woot ;Woot

(lol)
I'm guessing... :confused: the Trachy challenge is over, and we're moving on to BTA's... ;Wacky

:)

Freddie

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fudsey,
Gotta love your 2 spot and your 135.4 is grooving right along... ;Woot ;Woot

(lol)
I'm guessing... :confused: the Trachy challenge is over, and we're moving on to BTA's... ;Wacky

:)

Freddie

Thanks Freddie ! ! !

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still looking like it's splitting to me. What makes it bubble or not? Flow? This is the spot it chose and I highly doubt I could make it move but look at the stretch in the tentacles and the twist in others. It is getting flow from the draw of pump that is above it and it ebbs and flows with the pump. @Amoo @FarmerTy

Nem9.jpg

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still looking like it's splitting to me. What makes it bubble or not? Flow? This is the spot it chose and I highly doubt I could make it move but look at the stretch in the tentacles and the twist in others. It is getting flow from the draw of pump that is above it and it ebbs and flows with the pump. @Amoo @FarmerTy

Nem9.jpg
If you figure out what makes them bubble let me know. Those things have a mind of their own. Ours will stretch at times, shrivel at times and bubble up in a picture perfect pose. Sitting here looking at the wife's tank as I type, 1/2 are stretching and 1/2 are bubbled. They are on all over the tank so I don't think it's due entirely on the flow.

Don't mind the tank, haven't cleaned it today.

IMG_20181023_155239.jpg

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. Clueless as to why they do what they do. Ive had splits less than an inch away from one another where one bubbled and one didnt.
Everytime i think i have an idea why they prove me wrong. My last guess was it was tied to my magnesium level... they lost bubbles and I found my Mag had dropped quite a bit, otherwise no changes. So i bumped mag back up and all they did was stick their middle tenacle up at me and laugh! I saw them laugh, I swear it!!

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody truly knows why a BTA bubbles or not.

Tagging for a split... :)

Me too ;);)

If you figure out what makes them bubble let me know. Those things have a mind of their own. Ours will stretch at times, shrivel at times and bubble up in a picture perfect pose. Sitting here looking at the wife's tank as I type, 1/2 are stretching and 1/2 are bubbled. They are on all over the tank so I don't think it's due entirely on the flow.

Don't mind the tank, haven't cleaned it today.

IMG_20181023_155239.jpg

Never judge dirty glass pics. Mine is constantly dirty and I clean it daily.... :)

Yep. Clueless as to why they do what they do. Ive had splits less than an inch away from one another where one bubbled and one didnt.
Everytime i think i have an idea why they prove me wrong. My last guess was it was tied to my magnesium level... they lost bubbles and I found my Mag had dropped quite a bit, otherwise no changes. So i bumped mag back up and all they did was stick their middle tenacle up at me and laugh! I saw them laugh, I swear it!!

My mag is over 1400 so I doubt that's it either :)

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nem9.jpg

I believe it does not just have to do with flow or light, but more the position of the anemone.
Mine was on top of a rock and never showed any sign of a bubble.
But when she moved to a tonga rock kind of stone where she could put her foot deep in the rock, the appearance changed a lot.
At night the anemone hides inside the rock and during daytime she comes out and bubbles all day long.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it does not just have to do with flow or light, but more the position of the anemone.
Mine was on top of a rock and never showed any sign of a bubble.
But when she moved to a tonga rock kind of stone where she could put her foot deep in the rock, the appearance changed a lot.
At night the anemone hides inside the rock and during daytime she comes out and bubbles all day long.

Interesting. Mine does similar, out of the rock all day with the foot stretched deeply into the rock. It has very thick bubbles. Then it pulls into the crevice and closes at night. During the day when the foot is stretched, it is about as long as the diameter of the open anemone (3-4”).

Here is the anemone in the morning just waking up, in the crevice (he is even deeper in the middle of the night, this was when UVs first started coming on)
F04D0538-E757-4199-9CD1-DED0BB3F6C2B.jpeg

Here he is stretched and coming out for the light
A4BFF935-52B9-4991-9F96-0B2EA1302281.jpeg

And a close up of the bubbles
ED93A1D8-2E1E-4B48-A24E-1D3988D80D8C.jpeg

Last edited:

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nem9.jpg
I've noticed higher light and lower flow gives them a higher chance of bubbling. Lower light and high, laminar flow causes them to elongate. Just personal observation... But like most, the mechanisms for bubbling or not are a mystery.

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info guys ! ! !

Got a new addition today. Went to LFS and he had this guy. I think he's kinda cool although I didn't realize he's venomous.... Gotta be careful with him I guess.

Blenny1.jpg

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Got a new addition today. Went to LFS and he had this guy. I think he's kinda cool although I didn't realize he's venomous.... Gotta be careful with him I guess.

Blenny1.jpg
I didn't even get to read your comment yet... Just saw the fish and thought... Venomous fangs! [emoji1]

Glad you realized that now! Don't go trying to tickle his belly now.

Last edited:

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Blenny1.jpg

How cool is that! Venomous? Everything seems to bite, cut or sting in this hobby! Thats why I love it! Now, What is it?

image000000_01.gif

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 34.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back