Fudsey's 135.4 Box of Water

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Fudsey I'm also dealing with the dreaded dinos in my tank ....nothing I do has effect ...they just come back twice as hard ...my tank is a high in nutrients..my no3 has been 50 + ppm for the last 6 months po4 sits around 0.06 -0.12 ...tried carbon dosing ...vodka...tank look like $¥!+..had everything from bubble algea then cyno ..then dinos ...got the cyno from. Dosing vibrant ...tank almost crashed after treating the cyno ...that went and dinos came in its place ....so I know how you feel bro ....I've also recently heard that copepods eat dinos ...not sure if this is true ....but then my dinos aren't stingy and bubbly ...more of a dusting ....

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also recently heard that copepods eat dinos ...not sure if this is true ....but then my dinos aren't stingy and bubbly ...more of a dusting ....

Hi @Jason mack I hope they do. I read that as well and figured I'd give it a try. My dinos don't have bubbles but are stringy. Almost like hairy brown gunk that breaks apart very easily. I know my NO3 is very low and PO4 is not. I have been dosing NO3 just to get some in there, PO4 I have to run GFO to keep it in check. The dinos also don't retract at night either.

When I first started this tank I had tons of pods everywhere. You could see them on the glass, rocks and on the sand. Now, I never see them. I'm sure my fish have put a hurt on them and this may be why the dinos have gotten to this point.

We'll see ;)

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Jason mack I hope they do. I read that as well and figured I'd give it a try. My dinos don't have bubbles but are stringy. Almost like hairy brown gunk that breaks apart very easily. I know my NO3 is very low and PO4 is not. I have been dosing NO3 just to get some in there, PO4 I have to run GFO to keep it in check. The dinos also don't retract at night either.

When I first started this tank I had tons of pods everywhere. You could see them on the glass, rocks and on the sand. Now, I never see them. I'm sure my fish have put a hurt on them and this may be why the dinos have gotten to this point.

We'll see ;)
I've always been feeding my tank pods I usually buy 3-4 bags every couple of weeks ...that's why I thought it strange when I heard it ..

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always been feeding my tank pods I usually buy 3-4 bags every couple of weeks ...that's why I thought it strange when I heard it ..

Which type of pods are you feeding?

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its just a phyto blend that they make. I'm sure you can find something you can get that will do something similar.

That video is hard to watch. Sorry to see what you are battling. Your's looks completely different than what I am battling. A lot of my zoas are closed up and look stressed and my euphillias are not happy either

cyano2.jpg

cyano3.jpg

cyano8.jpg

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

We'll see ;)
I know this was briefly mentioned, but when I had an issue with dinoflagellates I did a 3 day complete blackout, and increased water flow around the affected areas. When the lights came back on they had all gone and never came back. I believe this was also because of the increased water flow

If you haven’t tried it yet, it’s worth a go and it certainly worked for my system.

Infact the tank looked so spotless I decided I should do it once a year, but never did.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this was briefly mentioned, but when I had an issue with dinoflagellates I did a 3 day complete blackout, and increased water flow around the affected areas. When the lights came back on they had all gone and never came back. I believe this was also because of the increased water flow

If you haven’t tried it yet, it’s worth a go and it certainly worked for my system.

Infact the tank looked so spotless I decided I should do it once a year, but never did.
Thanks for the info ....I've not tried it yet ,ive always been reluctant because I have sps and I'd heard it could do more damage than good ..plus there's so many stories where the dinos just come back again ...there's over a 1000 strains of dinos ...I always thought dinos were in low nutrient systems only ....my tank has always been a high nutrient tank ...I've had dinos before and beat them with peroxide dosing ....this time peroxide has no effect ...and I was dosing so much it scared me so I stopped ....so will a 3 day blackout kill my sps ...I'm willing too try anything at the mo ....I've even been considering using dinoX ...but I'm scared of that as well

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info ....I've not tried it yet ,ive always been reluctant because I have sps and I'd heard it could do more damage than good ..plus there's so many stories where the dinos just come back again ...there's over a 1000 strains of dinos ...I always thought dinos werk I low nutrient systems only ....my tank has always been a high nutrient tank ...I've had dinos before and beat them with peroxide dosing ....this time peroxide has no effect ...and I was dosing so much it scared me so I stopped ....so will a 3 day blackout kill my sps ...I'm willing too try anything at the mo ....I've even been considering using dinoX ...but I'm scared of that as well

I have LPS/SPS and it didn’t make any difference to anything.

I actually purchased some Dino X but never used it as the blackout worked. I’m not talking tank wrap, I’m talking lights off, curtains drawn, doors shut so just keeping the room dark.

I do appreciate there are different strains, but I think it wasn’t just the blackout, I made changes to the water flow over the affected areas.

I would sum up a blackout as just like a tropical storm in the ocean and certainly it had no bad effects on my corals or tank in general at all. And I wouldn’t hesitate to do it again, even for general algae issues.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I actually purchased some Dino X but never used it as the blackout worked. I’m not talking tank wrap, I’m talking lights off, curtains drawn, doors shut so just keeping the room dark.

I do appreciate there are different strains, but I think it wasn’t just the blackout, I made changes to the water flow over the affected areas.

I would sum up a blackout as just like a tropical storm in the ocean and certainly it had no bad effects on my corals or tank in general at all. And I wouldn’t hesitate to do it again, even for general algae issues.
Thanks that puts my mind at rest ...
I've just blown all my rocks off and aquavac the sand bed this is how my tank looks
20190113_171144.jpg

But it's still in some places

20190113_171402.jpg

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The only thing I would add is to keep an eye on any Alk dosing after the 2nd day. Ive noticed Alk consumption changed on day 2 so you may want to back off the dose to prevent a swing upwards.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back