Fudsey's 135.4 Box of Water

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks that puts my mind at rest ...
I've just blown all my rocks off and aquavac the sand bed this is how my tank looks
20190113_171144.jpg

But it's still in some places

20190113_171402.jpg
It doesn’t look that bad from the pictures, but I wonder if you could play around with the direction of the Powerheads to point them more towards the affected areas. I have 5 ‘jets’ in my system so I created more flow towards the bottom of the tank as in my case it was mainly the sand and lower rocks that were affected

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn’t look that bad from the pictures, but I wonder if you could play around with the direction of the Powerheads to point them more towards the affected areas. I have 5 ‘jets’ in my system so I created more flow towards the bottom of the tank as in my case it was mainly the sand and lower rocks that were affected
Just done it after I read your post .!:D

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I would add is to keep an eye on any Alk dosing after the 2nd day. Ive noticed Alk consumption changed on day 2 so you may want to back off the dose to prevent a swing upwards.
Good advice I never considered that , thanks ..!!!

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks..like I said I'd just cleaned everything .. cant stand too see it like that ..but after a couple of hrs it's back...I've even shortened my lighting schedule by 2 hrs ...running max 8 hrs and that's from sun up too sun down ...

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about feeding the fish with a 3 day lights out ...????
Ive always just made sure to feed while there was still enough ambient light available to keep the fish from going to bed. This time of year thats pretty early.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about feeding the fish with a 3 day lights out ...????
Just carry on as normal but without the lights.

No need to starve the poor fish, and also the fish poop will help keep some nutrients in the system to feed the corals while their in ‘the nasty storm’ and can’t get energy from the sun. If your ultra low nutrient they will appreciate this as well.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just carry on as normal but without the lights.

No need to starve the poor fish, and also the fish poop will help keep some nutrients in the system to feed the corals while their in ‘the nasty storm’ and can’t get energy from the sun. If your ultra low nutrient they will appreciate this as well.
No3 50+ ppm po4 0.10....has been for last 6 months

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aha..!!! It doesn't say copepods eat dinos ...but they outcompete them for nutrients...that makes sense ...as for the ocean magik ...not sure if we get that over here in europe
It's not real magic, it's only live phytoplankton:) Four common species that I think you can find in Europe too.

One thing they say is that the phytoplankton will compete for nutrients. In a reef tank I'm not sure that'll work, due to all filtration. Our skimmer gets green after we add live phytoplankton to the tanks :)

About dinoflagellates I don't know any quick fixes. We got them when we started a coral propagation system a couple of years ago. We put in "live sand" and after that we got a bloom of dinos. We tried to treat the tank by keeping it dark for three days I think. It didn't help at all. After that I started to feed a lot, turned down the skimmer(it was unnecessary large) and added nitrate every day until there where about 5-10ppm NO3(this was a low nutrient system before). A couple of month later it was gone. Can't say for sure if it was the increased nutrients or something else that made them go away, but we haven't had them since.

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well just finished today's parameters....

PO4 - .046
NO3 - ~9
dkH - 7.56
Ca - 390
Mg - 1460
pH - 8.2
Salintiy - 1.025

Dinos are still present and really look no different today. Kinda makes me sad. I thought for sure there would be some improvement but doesn't look like it yet.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well just finished today's parameters....

PO4 - .046
NO3 - ~9
dkH - 7.56
Ca - 390
Mg - 1460
pH - 8.2
Salintiy - 1.025

Dinos are still present and really look no different today. Kinda makes me sad. I thought for sure there would be some improvement but doesn't look like it yet.
Gotta keep at it ....small wc's every day to remove as much as possible

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Fudsey, Hoping everything turns around soon, I used to have a ton of Live rock in a sump chamber and the pods loved it and flourished. I have to believe that fed the tank too.
About the Wise cracks in Katrinas thread..;Sorry;Sorry;Sorry

tenor.gif

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update on dinos and incoming phyto and pods.

Miscommunication between me and vendor on shipping put the delivery off till tomorrow. Hopefully with 2 day they will make it OK.

Dinos look a little better today but still present and covering my poor corals. Trachys are doing fine as are a few others. BTAs are not, I'm afraid they will not make it. I've tried feeding them some mysis but only 1 or 2 actually take it. The other 2 don't look so good but are still firmly footed. Zoas, gsp and gorg are closed up but still have flesh color.

Each day it looks different on the sand. and I am changing my socks every other day trying to catch some of it. o_Oo_O

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fudsey...are you physically removing it everyday either with an aquavac or turkey baister...or even just siphoning..???

No not really, I blow it up so it gets in the water column and try to get it to go in the overflow. I do siphon up some but not enough to really make a dent in it.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back