Fudsey's 135.4 Box of Water

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was doing the same thing ...I found that it just started appearing over more of the rocks ...I really think you need too be aggressive in trying too remove as much as possible each day ...I also found that using the aquavac seemed too help more as opposed too siphoning...and have you thought about adding a power filter too your tank rather than letting it just go into the overflow and filter socks ...doing that at night and pulling the filter before the lights come back on ....I know your getting the pods and the bacteria ...but there's still a few things you can do in the meantime ...I know how hard it is too look at your tank when it's covered in dinos or cyno ....I even thought if I left it it would burn it's self out ....till I couldn't stand too look at my tank anymore....

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No not really, I blow it up so it gets in the water column and try to get it to go in the overflow. I do siphon up some but not enough to really make a dent in it.

I am assuming blowing it up in the water column won’t make it spread if some fall back down in other areas?
Maybe a silly questions but learning

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Crabby48 dinos are single cell organisms that band together making strands. I'm not sure if stirring them up would make them any worse though.... Good question :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pods and phyto received and look to be OK....

pods.jpg

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to put one of each in every other day and see how it goes. Already did one of each. I really don't want the corals eating it all so I did it while lights are on. Maybe give them a chance to get into the sand and rocks...

._Z_.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pods and phyto received and look to be OK....

pods.jpg

How do the numbers of pods look? I’m looking to place an order for some soon. Last vendor I used only had a dozen or so visible critters in the bag, so I want to try a new vendor. Hoping it will help with my fight against dinos too

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Fudsey , Like Jason said, is better to add it on the tank while the light are off turning the return pump off at least. I feed the Phyto on the tank and in the sump while I turn off the return pump and the skimmer.

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'm not trying to feed the corals with them. I want them in the rocks and sand. These pods are microscopic, you can't see anything except a green hue. It looks like the bags you get from Algagen. Couldn't see a pod without a microscope. All you see is dots. I want them to feed on the dinos and the phyto to out compete them.

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking so so. Not as bad as it did but not gone either. They are still present and are making some of the stuff miserable.

Got a question for anyone who might know. Do Foxface eat dinos? I see mine pecking at places where all I see is dinos (frag rack) and looks to be eating it. Is this even a possibility?

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking so so. Not as bad as it did but not gone either. They are still present and are making some of the stuff miserable.

Got a question for anyone who might know. Do Foxface eat dinos? I see mine pecking at places where all I see is dinos (frag rack) and looks to be eating it. Is this even a possibility?
That's interesting.... I thought it was more likely to be toxic than edible. Think it depends on the strain though.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries ...I'm gonna go get dinoX, I can't get them copepods and bacteria form Algae barn over here ...or not without paying a fortune for it ..:(

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back