Fudsey's 135.4 Box of Water

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Fudsey, Man the tank has turned around and everything is looking good. How did you beat the dino's ? I had another breakout this week. the rock is just covered, did you scrub with a brush or what?

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Fudsey, Man the tank has turned around and everything is looking good. How did you beat the dino's ? I had another breakout this week. the rock is just covered, did you scrub with a brush or what?

Thanks ! ! ! I was blowing off the sand/rock with a turkey baster and changing filter socks very frequently. I raised my NO3 to 10 and PO4 to .05-.07 and I added Pods & Phyto to out compete the dinos. It took a few weeks but it beat them back.

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I finally got a decent pic of all the heads of these. Up to 7 now ;)

IMG_20190316_121556_1.jpg

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's just one of many I got going now..... Filefish is disinterested in them.... Peppermint shrimp couldn't care less.... Kalk paste just makes them multiply but I will still do it to make them disappear for a few days... No idea where to go. Wish I could go the berghia route but I just don't think they will survive and for the stupid cost they want for them, it's really not an option....

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's just one of many I got going now..... Filefish is disinterested in them.... Peppermint shrimp couldn't care less.... Kalk paste just makes them multiply but I will still do it to make them disappear for a few days... No idea where to go. Wish I could go the berghia route but I just don't think they will survive and for the stupid cost they want for them, it's really not an option....

Have you tried Copperband butterflies? Once acclimated, they decimate aptasia.

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried Copperband butterflies? Once acclimated, they decimate aptasia.

I think I might try it next, my LFS has one that has been there for a few weeks. I should have gotten it instead of the filefish.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you. Stupid money for them. I made the mistake of forgetting to turn off all flow in the 40B when using the laser. Population obviously exploded but now am considering an order to breed and sell locally.

Copperband might work well for you actually.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, filefish are hit or miss. Peppermint shrimp are the devil and never to be trusted. Berghia are just to darn expensive.
CBB just work.. the trick is getting a good one. If your LFS has one, make sure it eats at least mysis. The other thing I always tell people is look at the prospective fish face to face. If he is thin and tapering from the eyes up, he probably isn't a good choice. CBB's lose weight along their dorsal area first. Usually a tapered and thin fish is to far gone. Not impossible, but tough.
Feeding live blackworms, if you can get them in your area, will add weight quickly

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salty Underground used to have eBay listings for 20 1/4” Berghia for $100. Doesn’t look like it anymore. They destroyed the aiptasia in my old 20g. I tried to set up a tank to breeed them but couldn’t do it before they starved.

I think they would work for you since the wrasses sleep at night while the nudi eats.

They are extremely pricey though.

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salty Underground used to have eBay listings for 20 1/4” Berghia for $100. Doesn’t look like it anymore. They destroyed the aiptasia in my old 20g. I tried to set up a tank to breeed them but couldn’t do it before they starved.

I think they would work for you since the wrasses sleep at night while the nudi eats.

They are extremely pricey though.

Well there are 3-4 peppermints in there as well and they are nudi's arch nemesis from what I have read...

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I ended up getting 24 nudibranchs during a 1/2 off sale. Still not cheap.

No real activity the 1st couple weeks like they said. Then BAM! Everyday there would be less and less. Haven’t seen one in months now.

Never had a peppermint shrimp touch them.

Aiptasia X was like using miracle grow.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back