DSC_0104.JPG
Daddy likes! Beautiful piece

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bet would be on the rising Nitrates, I think you said they’ve shot up pretty high not super fast but in the grand scheme a relatively a short period. I’d run a cup or two of carbon for a week then cut that in half for another week or two.

Maybe a couple of larger than normal water changes over the course of 7-10 days. Ive had hammers do the same thing and just slowly drop a head every couple weeks. Never pinned down an exact cause but new water and carbon may put a dent into whatever the cause is.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly the same with mine (as your photo in post 2539) but I suspect my filefish. I took it out yesterday - the coral he/she picked looks better but the torch still have problems. All my euphyllia have been a little "down" - today (with exception of my torch) they looks better - more expanded. I have reacted to my ICP report and have dose according to recommendations. @Sallstrom will kick my *** because I as always does more than one thing at the same time, hence - it is difficult to isolate the real reason. At this website you can calculate your salinity with help of the ICP tests. My show up to be around 36 psu (36 per mille). I have adjust this. I also discover that the Triton DOC test can be very helpful. It shows up that I probably had a huge imbalance between inorganic nitrogen and organic nitrogen as proteins/amino acids. I skim very dry and after this I change to a more wet skimming.

One question - do you have any cyanobacteria mats for the moment - the same question to @Katrina71 and @Lowell Lemon . A long shot :)

Sincerely Lasse
No cyanobacteria mats at all but probably low N K P levels. No fish in the tank just snails and hermit crabs. I am way over due for a water change using natural sea water from Petco. Just finished a successful battle with Valonia (bubble algae) using Vibrant. so probably nutrient low right now.

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today's tank job was to clean out the sulfur denitrator and fire it back up. Man do I hate that smell.... Was nasty to say the least, but it's done and running. Maybe now the NO3 will start to drop.... maybe....

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today's tank job was to clean out the sulfur denitrator and fire it back up. Man do I hate that smell.... Was nasty to say the least, but it's done and running. Maybe now the NO3 will start to drop.... maybe....
Interested to see how long before it shows results. I haven’t seen huge results from the denitrate reactor I’m running but I may not be as regimented as needed feeding it vodka and playing with the flow weekly.

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested to see how long before it shows results. I haven’t seen huge results from the denitrate reactor I’m running but I may not be as regimented as needed feeding it vodka and playing with the flow weekly.
I have used it before on my FOWLR tank and it lowered my nitrates from over 160 to 20 but it take 2-3 weeks before you see 0 effluent.

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still with us ;) I got some Mastick and he loves it. I have seen him eating some LRS RF but will go right at the mastick once I put it in the tank. Clown has even lightened up on him and me. I actually hand fed her tonight. Surprised the crap out of me :)

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran out of ROX and needed to change out the reactor. I had to put GFO in on it's own, never done it that way. The MJ1200 pump has very little power to keep it tumbling though. Kinda strange. I think I might need to pull the whole setup and clean the pump and tubes of sponges. I am really thinking about setting up a manifold with the extra Eflux 3170 I have to run all the reactors off of.

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still with us ;) I got some Mastick and he loves it. I have seen him eating some LRS RF but will go right at the mastick once I put it in the tank. Clown has even lightened up on him and me. I actually hand fed her tonight. Surprised the crap out of me :)
I am so jealous now !

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It come as a powder and I do 1/2 tsp to 1 ml tank water and mix it. It makes a paste you can then stick to the glass.

FWIW:
TSM Corals loves that stuff, too.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 81 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back