Fudsey

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Bud ! ! !

Just wish I knew why calcium has dropped so significantly. ATI says you should dose everything 1,2 & 3 in equal parts but it's not even close..... 1 is 116 ml, 2 is 36 ml and 3 is 30. Alk is 8.3, Ca is just over 500 and Mg is 1480(as of last sunday).

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So much easier than manually dosing. I just don't know why my calcium usage is dropping but alk is going up.....
I think it just depends what’s happening in the system with corals etc.

I’m dosing more Alkalinity than I ever have at 225ml/day of Red Sea foundation B, but calcium usage has fallen and I dose about 10ml/day. Obviously the ml’s depends how strong the solution is of course, but for weeks I was battling to keep alkalinity up with constant increases until is stabilised

I wouldn’t be concerned about Magnesium at that level, I’ve been there many times and it just seems to be a ‘facilitator’ for the chemical bonds/reactions in the system

I just test every Sunday and adjust as necessary

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it just depends what’s happening in the system with corals etc.

I’m dosing more Alkalinity than I ever have at 225ml/day of Red Sea foundation B, but calcium usage has fallen and I dose about 10ml/day. Obviously the ml’s depends how strong the solution is of course, but for weeks I was battling to keep alkalinity up with constant increases until is stabilised

I wouldn’t be concerned about Magnesium at that level, I’ve been there many times and it just seems to be a ‘facilitator’ for the chemical bonds/reactions in the system

I just test every Sunday and adjust as necessary
Thanks Shaun ! !

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keith, I had my 2 part going same for a while, but eventually brought the Calcium down to about half the Alkalinity. It bothered my OCD, but that is what the testing demanded. I will note over time, I found my Alkalinity testing seemed more accurate than Calcium as well. The Calcium range seemed wider. Both were Hanna.

Just to be complete, I have not been dosing at all since my tank crash in early summer. I am about to resume the process with new frags added.

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium is slowly coming down. Sunday's parameters were getting better and alk was perfect.

dkH - 8.51
Salinity - 1.026
pH - 8.2
Mg - 1480
Ca - >500 (But looking better than before and today's (Tue) was 500 or just over)
NO3 - ~50 (still high and waiting for denitrator to start taking off)
PO4 - .095 (Little high but acceptable for now. Will replace GFO tomorrow)

Everything looks OK except Hammer. We'll see. I've had it for almost 2 years and it will bite to see it completely gone. But, I will get a replacement locally for it and will not place it in the same spot.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium is slowly coming down. Sunday's parameters were getting better and alk was perfect.

dkH - 8.51
Salinity - 1.026
pH - 8.2
Mg - 1480
Ca - >500 (But looking better than before and today's (Tue) was 500 or just over)

Everything looks OK except Hammer. We'll see. I've had it for almost 2 years and it will bite to see it completely gone. But, I will get a replacement locally for it and will not place it in the same spot.
Go, go little Hammer!

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

dkH - 8.51
Salinity - 1.026
pH - 8.2
Mg - 1480

I hope the hammer makes it. I also run on high nitrates, now at 20 ppm but hit 60 ppm for a while.

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soph isn't doing so well..... :( not sure about her and we are not happy with our vet. Not going to go into it but she is holding steady right now.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soph isn't doing so well..... :( not sure about her and we are not happy with our vet. Not going to go into it but she is holding steady right now.
Alright, I understand. Big hugs for you and Lori. Sigh. Crapola.

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't seen the bergs from you since I dropped them in and order is going to have to wait till I can get a friday off. This month has been crappy as everyone else has taken Fridays or a full week. Makes me have to go on the road everyday and that wears on me. I am getting to the point of really hating to drive. People are stupid and don't realize how bad they drive while playing with their phones. I see it multiple times a day and actually gotten into the habit of pulling next to them and pulling the air horn. Sometimes it's funny as crap :)

CBB is doing great and loves her Masstick. I see her picking on the rocks and sand as well. I'm not positive but I do believe the aips might be dwindling.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't seen the bergs from you since I dropped them in and order is going to have to wait till I can get a friday off. This month has been crappy as everyone else has taken Fridays or a full week. Makes me have to go on the road everyday and that wears on me. I am getting to the point of really hating to drive. People are stupid and don't realize how bad they drive while playing with their phones. I see it multiple times a day and actually gotten into the habit of pulling next to them and pulling the air horn. Sometimes it's funny as crap :)

CBB is doing great and loves her Masstick. I see her picking on the rocks and sand as well. I'm not positive but I do believe the aips might be dwindling.

Wasnt sure how to emoji reply that one. Thumbs up on the CB still eating well etc...

I hear ya, it's frustrating to do all the time. My older brother got his CDL last year and he used to love driving. Now he dislikes it too.

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I pulled the hammer and cut off the dead heads. It is looking like polyp bailout. 1 head is bailing and part of it dropped off when I picked it up. I went to cut the 1st head off and the whole colony actually split in 1/2.... I glued it a little closer to the front of the rock it was on. We'll see what the future holds for it...

Today's parameters:

PO4 - .046
dkH - 8.57
Ca - 500
Mg - 1450
pH - 8.2
NO3 - 50 still.... still waiting on the sulfur denitrator to take off.
Everything else is right in line. Ca continues to improve and Mg is dropping. I lowered the dose on both to see what tomorrow brings.

Day479.jpg

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I pulled the hammer and cut off the dead heads. It is looking like polyp bailout. 1 head is bailing and part of it dropped off when I picked it up. I went to cut the 1st head off and the whole colony actually split in 1/2.... I glued it a little closer to the front of the rock it was on. We'll see what the future holds for it...

Today's parameters:

PO4 - .046
dkH - 8.57
Ca - 500
Mg - 1450
pH - 8.2
NO3 - 50 still.... still waiting on the sulfur denitrator to take off.
Everything else is right in line. Ca continues to improve and Mg is dropping. I lowered the dose on both to see what tomorrow brings.

Day479.jpg
I miss my chair next to it.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back