Fudsey's 135.4 Box of Water

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to dose it last night so I did it just now. Started with 8 ml and will do that for 3 days then test NO3 and see if there are any changes. :)
Ohh, so you are going to Try NoPox.
Can't wait to see the effect.
You do know once you start and get to spec dosing level you can't stop.
I've spoken to several vendors and they all say once you start the Effective method, you can't stop, without phasing it out.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to dose it last night so I did it just now. Started with 8 ml and will do that for 3 days then test NO3 and see if there are any changes. :)
Is it Red Sea Nopox or the home made version ?

It can take a while to kick in as well, so you may not get instant results and if you start to see white slime just back off a little. Basically increase the dose slowly (like 1ml/day extra every week) over a period of weeks until nitrate starts to fall.

Or if you can, increase flow to the slime affected area. When I’ve been at high doses, and I’m talking way above maximum recommend dose, the only place slime forms is in the sump. But if I make the surface ‘ripple’ it can’t form so I have a couple of hoses from a reactor/UVC that are just above the surface and ‘ripple’ the water.

I’ve used it in the S650 for around 3 1/2 years and it works and it’s just a matter of balancing it with your system.

I did find that no matter how much I dosed, because of my heavy biological load, it wouldn’t drop my nitrate below 15-20ppm which is fine. It just wouldn’t, and I was using around 34ml/day (max should have been 18) although I had spoken to Red Sea. So I just dropped it back down and currently dose 20ml/day and it’s no different

You may also notice a haze forming on your glass every 2 days or so.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it Red Sea Nopox or the home made version ?

It can take a while to kick in as well, so you may not get instant results and if you start to see white slime just back off a little. Basically increase the dose slowly (like 1ml/day extra every week) over a period of weeks until nitrate starts to fall.

Or if you can, increase flow to the slime affected area. When I’ve been at high doses, and I’m talking way above maximum recommend dose, the only place slime forms is in the sump. But if I make the surface ‘ripple’ it can’t form so I have a couple of hoses from a reactor/UVC that are just above the surface and ‘ripple’ the water.

I’ve used it in the S650 for around 3 1/2 years and it works and it’s just a matter of balancing it with your system.

I did find that no matter how much I dosed, because of my heavy biological load, it wouldn’t drop my nitrate below 15-20ppm which is fine. It just wouldn’t, and I was using around 34ml/day (max should have been 18) although I had spoken to Red Sea. So I just dropped it back down and currently dose 20ml/day and it’s no different

You may also notice a haze forming on your glass every 2 days or so.
Why are you using NoPox (even at 20ml) a day if it's not dropping your Nitrate below 15-20? Is it because nitrates would be higher if you didn't.

And what's the home made version? Some mix of vinegar and vodka?

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@WallyB Home made Randy Holmes-Farley recipe courtesy of @mta_morrow :)

NOPOX.jpg

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@WallyB Home made Randy Holmes-Farley recipe courtesy of @mta_morrow :)

NOPOX.jpg
Thanks @Fudsey and @mta_morrow,

I knew it had to be some proportional mix cocktail (Of Vinegar/Vodka)

Something to consider since years ago when my LPS Tank got all Fish wiped out with Velvet Disease, I had to go fallow for 40 days.

So during that wait, I removed all Corals, and did Randy's Vinegar Dosing Regime (NO Vinegar). Ramped up, Peaked, and Ramp down before starting the Tank Again. I also added a Pencil Urchin who scrubbed off all the Coraline off the rock to open up the pores.

After that re-start my tank went from Previously Algae/Cyano problems to no problems at all. Still doing good to this day.
Nitrate/PO4 went up afterwards, but they Cyano/GHA never came back.

I might consider this as an option on both my Tanks, after I see how yours does.

What's is the Ramp up dosing schedule for (Vinegar/Vodka)/GALLON? Is there a Table to share? (Like the Randy's Just Vinegar Schedule I used)

Are you planning on removing GFO once the treatment kicks in?

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you using NoPox (even at 20ml) a day if it's not dropping your Nitrate below 15-20? Is it because nitrates would be higher if you didn't.

Basically yes.

I just think I have so many fish, whenever I test there is always some nitrates in the water, that’s my theory anyway because it won’t budge.

However, I am restarting water changes which may help, but 20 is fine anyway

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically yes.

I just think I have so many fish, whenever I test there is always some nitrates in the water, that’s my theory anyway because it won’t budge.

However, I am restarting water changes which may help, but 20 is fine anyway
hmm. If 20 is fine, and I'm basically stable at around 25. Not sure if I need to start Vinegar, Vodka or both.

I actually Just started using Purigen, to see if it will take small bite out my Nitrates, and not have to get into Bacteria feeding.

If it works, then my P is around just under 0.1 (stable) after I started regular RhowaPhos Changes (small amount), and I'm happy with P stability/level after wobbling between 0.3-0.4 for the longest time.

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you already know, I went missing... and came back. Catching up all over the place. Happy to see your tank looking good!
Thank you ! !

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@siggy I upped the nopox dose to 16 ml today and will test NO3 tomorrow. We'll see then if anything is moving in the right direction.

Last edited:

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I do run a reactor that I actually need to harvest.
I may ask you to send me some........I would be happy to pay the postage. Can’t find any around here.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because of this when I trash macro’s it makes me sad. If I knew mine was clean I would ship some.
So......what would come with it? LOL!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back