Fuge Help in Fiji Cube Sump

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys,

My Fiji Cube 20 sump has a small fuge section. Right now it just holds a few media bricks but id like to try growing some chaeto with a small light. The only issue is the fuge section spills right over into the return section. I dont see how the algae will stay in the fuge. Anybody know of a way to trap it into an area?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

My Fiji Cube 20 sump has a small fuge section. Right now it just holds a few media bricks but id like to try growing some chaeto with a small light. The only issue is the fuge section spills right over into the return section. I dont see how the algae will stay in the fuge. Anybody know of a way to trap it into an area?
Yea its not the best design IMO.
They sell a new style adjustable weir that has slots in it to keep the solids from passing through or over.
As soon as im done testing my system without a skimmer, im thinking of making the center compartment a large refugium and letting the small chamber either sit empty or figure something else out with it.... possibly just a seaweed trap before the return.

OP
OP
infinite0180

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea its not the best design IMO.
They sell a new style adjustable weir that has slots in it to keep the solids from passing through or over.
As soon as im done testing my system without a skimmer, im thinking of making the center compartment a large refugium and letting the small chamber either sit empty or figure something else out with it.... possibly just a seaweed trap before the return.
Yea its a bad design. Do you have a link to what your referring to?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea its a bad design. Do you have a link to what your referring to?
No they dont sell it alone i dont think.
You can email them to complain and they might send you one.
Its designed like this but blue.

Attachments

• images (3).jpeg
    images (3).jpeg
    4.5 KB · Views: 65

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cut a square of Lifegard Aquatics Black mesh the size of the opening and made a small slice on the bottom edge to slide over the wall to secure it in place.

OP
OP
infinite0180

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I cut a square of Lifegard Aquatics Black mesh the size of the opening and made a small slice on the bottom edge to slide over the wall to secure it in place.
I was thinking about something like that. Got a pic?

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do the same as cell with a filter pad cut as a baffle to act as a debris/bubble trap between the second chamber and return in the fiji cube sump. Mine actually just floats in front of the lip between the two chambers.

I also use a innovative marine fuge basket with a tunze 8821 led fuge light to grow chaeto in a dedicated small spot and it works well to save space. Def recommend the light for chaeto growth and using it with the basket and underwater helps to also block out some of the light spill to other parts of the sump. I do use a small pump to push flow through it which I think is very necessary in this setup. The only negative is that the light does stick out of the water as it is pretty tall when stood up
D427C7B6-59E7-4C33-A4E7-7BDA607F3833.jpeg

05989C7E-0002-4C6F-941D-5685CC10EF8E.jpeg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back