Full Aquarium Controllers for New Reefers or Not

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it more valuable to newer reefers to jump in with a FULL aquarium controller from the start, or take the first few years to be more engaged with their chemistry and pets (fish, coral, inverts)?

This question is geared towards reefers with 5 or more years of successful reef keeping.
Assuming timers, temperature controllers and products with their own apps as aquarium requirements for all new reefers.

OP
OP
R

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a perfect response. The hobby would benefit if the first questions would be about care for live stock Vs “what should i buy?”

And if the question is what should I buy, the answer should be Julian Sprungs book.

Upvote 0

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For newcomers I'd say no. I think you should learn how to do everything without a controller before owning one. If someone relies on a controller from day one and never learns how to do it without the controller, what happens when the controller fails?

Upvote 0

chrisgold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it more valuable to newer reefers to jump in with a FULL aquarium controller from the start, or take the first few years to be more engaged with their chemistry and pets (fish, coral, inverts)?

This question is geared towards reefers with 5 or more years of successful reef keeping.
Assuming timers, temperature controllers and products with their own apps as aquarium requirements for all new reefers.
I Want to know the same thing Mate

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For newcomers I'd say no. I think you should learn how to do everything without a controller before owning one. If someone relies on a controller from day one and never learns how to do it without the controller, what happens when the controller fails?

Amen. In reefing, everything fails.

Upvote 0

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have plenty of expendable income sure, it will help any level of hobbiest. if you're working with any sort of budget i would stay away. Most dont last 1 year in the hobby and end up selling everything. So i would atleast hold off until you know youre in it for the long haul

Upvote 0

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of the ones currently available are "FULL". They don't do nitrate and phosphate, they don't have image recognition to search for something that looks wrong, they can't pick up stuff that has fallen down.

I'd go without one and see which features you would actually appreciate before you go all in on maybe the wrong one that didn't give you the features you would want

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of the ones currently available are "FULL". They don't do nitrate and phosphate, they don't have image recognition to search for something that looks wrong, they can't pick up stuff that has fallen down.

I'd go without one and see which features you would actually appreciate before you go all in on maybe the wrong one that didn't give you the features you would want

You know what i mean by full controller. Neptune, GHL, Coralvue, etc

Upvote 0

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune Apex, GHL or CoralVue are the full function controllers that are most popular.
If you're a techy and are comfortable learning how to set it up, you will be thankful that you have one to monitor things and control different aspects of your setup.
If you're just looking for testing, Neptune Trident or the Mastertronic are good choices. You have to have an Apex to run the Trident though... Not sure on the Mastertronic. I'm a Neptune guy...
Regardless, as others have said, if you have the $$, it's worth it. I personally wouldn't go without it...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The question isnt lets nitpick about what controller does what compared to the other. Its about someone throwing up a tank for the first time and weather its beneficial to use a controller from the rip or focus on the tank instead of a phone app

Upvote 0

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they can be beneficial provided they are viewed as a safety net (turning of heaters when they fail, etc) and way of monitoring things rather than something that will run your tank for you

Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 132 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back