Full System Reef Aquarium Controllers: What's got control in 2022?

Full System Reef Aquarium Controllers: What's got control in 2022?

• GHL Profilux

Votes: 33 6.7%
  • Neptune Apex

Votes: 206 42.0%
  • Coralvue Hydros

Votes: 49 10.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 19 3.9%
  • No Full System Controller

Votes: 184 37.5%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This week we're going to be discussing controllers of all types! But today more specifically I would like to see what everyone is currently using as their Full System Reef Aquarium Controller! Maybe even tell us why your using it, what you love about etc? So let's talk about it!

What aquarium controller are you currently using to control your saltwater reef aquarium? (please don't flame other brands)

control.jpg

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use GHL - but I’m not impressed by it and wouldn’t recommend it.

Right now I’m not impressed by any of the offerings of full system controllers in the market.

MasterTronic is amazing but it’s not a full system controller. If Focustronic came out with something I would be interested.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use GHL - but I’m not impressed by it and wouldn’t recommend it.

Right now I’m not impressed by any of the offerings of full system controllers in the market.

MasterTronic is amazing but it’s not a full system controller. If Focustronic came out with something I would be interested.
Are you aware that the Mastertronic and Alkatronic will interface with the Hydros via wifi. So you can use their inputs to control things on the Hydros if I understand correctly. I have the Hydros but do not have a Mastertroinc or Alkatronic.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently use the Hydros. I have 9 controllers in a collective which means they share their inputs and outputs so it acts as if it is a single controller. I use it for the standard things such as return pump, lights, heater, cooling, skimmer, ATO, AWC and leak detection. I also control my RODi and automatically refill my DI storage container and my Mix tank from the RODI. I also have automatic transfer from mix tank to fresh salt water storage if mix tank is ready to use. I moved from the DA Archon controller to the Hydros system. I did it over time starting about year and half ago. At one time I was passing signals between the Hydros and Archon using relays. I have not found anything that I was doing on the Archon I cannot do with the Hydros with the exception of measuring salinity, but the salinity readings on the Archon would drift anyways so it was not very dependable so I do not really miss it. As far as my tank it will be ok for several hours without a controller. That was proven when we had rolling blackout over a year ago and some were for over 4 hours at a time. Basically we had power 50% of the time for almost a week. The tank survived ok. I do have battery backups for my MP10 flow pumps which is the most important thing to keep the tank going.

Last edited:

The Farmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a full apex, but everything has a secondary controller, heater lights pumps skimmer I have never really relied on any controller we all know electronics fail. Even in the medical industry. That being said there isn’t a single best controller , pick one that works for you and the simplest one you can use to your knowledge

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
do not have any of these mentioned controllers. i really wish i could fit any of them into my budget, but little by little i hope to obtain these in the future

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a DIY controller with 3x PH probes (1 x tank + 2x CaRx), CaRx solenoid 12v control, 1x leak probe, 2x temp probes, 2x power sockets/relays for heaters and 2x power sockets/relays for CaRx pumps.

I also have a controller for a DIY light fixture... and a controller for Alkalinity monitor.. and.. - ahh no I decomissioned that one.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Neptune Apex in conjunction with Control4 Home Automation. ( https://www.control4.com/ )
C4 Controls Kessil Lighting Schedule, Moving RODI and Salt Water through out the system, overflow emergency shutoff on the display tank, low and high sump level, Kalk Top Off 3 gallons per day during lights off period. Food mode for return pumps and auto UV on off depending on stage of return pump. Programming with C$ is endless and 100 % bullet proof. C4 has never failed me in 10+ years. At 6000 gph it doesn't take long to flood the house. The overflow protection is priceless for me.

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just don't have that type of room on my 200XL. I have a few smart plugs and the other half of the equipment have functional apps.

Smartplug for anything without an app...return pump, 2x Tunze PH, fuge light(Tunze)
Kamoer for my dosers
ReefBeat for the tank system itself (including lights)

codenfx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Kasa to control most equipments and Kamoer doser, everything else is on manual. Wish I can do Apex or Hydros but space is tight.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use light timers for lights, and another light timer for top-off / kalk.

Ceti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Neptune Apex in conjunction with Control4 Home Automation. ( https://www.control4.com/ )
C4 Controls Kessil Lighting Schedule, Moving RODI and Salt Water through out the system, overflow emergency shutoff on the display tank, low and high sump level, Kalk Top Off 3 gallons per day during lights off period. Food mode for return pumps and auto UV on off depending on stage of return pump. Programming with C$ is endless and 100 % bullet proof. C4 has never failed me in 10+ years. At 6000 gph it doesn't take long to flood the house. The overflow protection is priceless for me.

I had no idea. I just completed a major reno job on our home theater. It is controlled by C4, including lights, shades, etc. I also run Apex. How do I get it to play with C4, but the more relevant question is what will C4 add above and beyond using the Apex app?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back