Fulltang's long journey to a custom 3 gallon jar

fulltang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to preface this by saying that I'm a DIYer at heart and I enjoy that process. I'm sure that much of what you see here could have been avoided by going with a small AIO tank, but I wanted to do something different. We'll see if this backfires as it's my first reef tank, but fingers crossed!

Around 3 years ago I was ready to set up my first tank - a Fluval Evo 13.5. I was nearly ready to add water, auto water change configured, custom stand build, etc, but had to move shortly thereafter. My new place was going to be much smaller, meaning no place to put the stand I had built for the 13.5g tank.

Fast forward a year.. having already been considering a jar, not only for the interesting aesthetics, but also the potential to rip clean and just generally less water to deal with. I decided to go for that instead as my new place had a little snack bar, perfect for such a tank!

I ended up purchasing a Reefsmart light (intended for use with the Anchor Hocking 2g jar), and again was just about ready to add water. This was at the same time as the PG&E power shutoffs in Northern CA, which seriously put me off from setting up an aquarium of any kind. I told myself that if by the next year there had been no PG&E outages for a extended periods of time, I'd pick it back up.

ah1.jpg
cb1.jpg

During this period of de motivation, I decided to implement a reef-pi and Kasa power strip in place of the Inkbird setup. Said to myself, might as well monitor temperature swings in my jar as my home insulation isn't the best. Sure enough, my little 10w heater wasn't keeping up in the coldest months and indoor ambient temps would get over 82 during the summer. This further demotivated me as I don't have central AC.

pi.jpg
PXL_20220313_001714714.jpg

After staring at the Anchor Hocking jar for literally a year I just could not get past the lack of clarity. I delved deep into Google trying to find a clearer alternative that would work with the Reefsmart light, no such luck. I came across a single mention of the extra large snack jar available at CB2 in a post over at nano-reef as a potential candidate. From the product photos it looked crystal clear, and slightly larger in diameter. Despite some lines visible from production and few other imperfections, the clarity was night and day in comparison to the Anchor Hocking in person.

I resolved the diameter issue by designing a simple 3d printed reducer ring. I'm not very happy with the finish of the ring even after smoothing it out and painting it, so I'll likely to another version that will also extend down past the water line.

PXL_20211214_025052519.jpg
PXL_20220218_195817970.jpg

Now to address the heating and flow. After extensive research, I decided to use a canister filter for both flow and heat, with no intention of using it for filtration (although I have that option, probably just carbon).

I found the Oase Thermo 100 canister filter which has an option to install a heater directly into the canister itself - perfect! I liked this as it would clean up the display and would allow me to use a higher wattage heater. Ordered the Thermo 100 and quickly realized that the flow was way too much for such a small jar, its physical size would also make the whole setup very ugly.

I stumbled on a post in the freshwater community stating that the smaller Oase 60 (and it's much cheaper clone the ZooMed 10) uses the exact same blanking panel as the Thermo 100! Meaning you can use Oase's heater conversion kit intended for the non Thermo 100, as long as you can find a heater identical in diameter to the Oase and short enough to fit in the smaller canister. Bam, problem solved.. well, almost.

I am a paranoid person by nature, so the idea of using a canister filter sketched me out with their leak potential. After some brain storming I decided that a kitchen container to house the filter would kill 2 birds with 1 stone - leaks and aesthetics. Another step towards leak prevention/containment is ensuring all plumbing connections are made inside of the container. I hated how the stock hosing looked, so I ordered some acrylic tubing intended for PC cooling and bent up some custom lily pipes. Finally, I added a very simple leak sensor on the outside of the filter's container connected to the reef-pi.

I was able to fit a 50w heater in the ZooMed, and the flow looked good enough for me. After running it through its paces, my water temps stayed pinned at 77 despite ambient air temperatures of 58 during the morning (for science!)

filter.jpg
PXL_20220312_015916273.jpg

I haven't had many hot days to address over temp issues, but I did add a small USB driven fan on a Kasa smart plug, controlled by my reef-pi. I did some short tests and it looks like it does drop the temp by a few degrees, which may be enough. This is something I'm still not confident on, so I'll have to adjust on the fly. I also ordered some 25c phase change material to throw under the tank as a test.

Fast forward to Thursday of last week, my 3lbs of the Australian live rock from Unique Corals arrived and it's currently curing in a 5 gallon bucket!

PXL_20220310_194901309.jpg
PXL_20220310_231912894.jpg

My rock is in quite a few smaller pieces, so I'll have to figure out what I want to do for an aquascape. I ordered a few sealed magnets from KJ's, so I might actually create a few live rock shelves. Still unsure what I want to do in regards to stocking, but definitely coral and inverts only, I'm thinking a RFA centerpiece with sexy shrimp would be awesome.

PXL_20220307_201609512.jpg
PXL_20220306_093515889.jpg

I'm stoked with how it's coming out thus far, need to do a bit more cable management, but it'll be viewable from almost 360 degrees which I don't thing I could have achieved with a traditional tank.

Finally, I just want to thank @brandon429 for constantly fielding my questions and guiding me and so many others, I probably would have given up without his help.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fulltang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all! Quick updates, my brother printed an rfg for me which increased my flow almost too much, might have to modify it with a larger bore, and also I need to order him some clear filament!

PXL_20220316_044719311.jpg

Going to work on a scape this weekend, Saturday will be 10 days of curing for my rock and 8 full water changes. I have some magnets on the way, thinking I'll turn a piece of rock into a floating shelf because I have a bit more than I'd like for the floor.

PXL_20220315_065629051.jpg

Starting to think about livestock now as well, been researching corals and vendors heavily. Definitely going fishless in this tank for the duration.

This may be a bad idea, but people rave about how hardy RFAs are even in comparison to corals, and I know I 100% want one eventually. Another bonus is that I don't need to worry about coral pests, so I'm thinking it would be a really cool way to add something incredibly beautiful and fun right away with less concern about missing a pest after re-plugging and dipping. Ultras are also pretty cheap! What do you guys think?

I'm also putting together a little reef cleaners order. I'm thinking:

2-3 x sexy shrimp (hopefully homing in the RFA)
4 x Florida cerith
4 x dwarf cerith

Any thoughts on that? Is that too much for a fresh tank despite the live rock?

I should mention that I'm not in a rush, just getting a general plan together.

Last edited:

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a tang! ;) no but a nano fish would be so cool in there, maybe.....I like the floating rock idea, are you opposed to breaking the rock down into smaller pieces and making a smaller formation out of it? Either way great start I love the filter option your doing i think thats great!

OP
OP
F

fulltang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a tang! ;) no but a nano fish would be so cool in there, maybe.....I like the floating rock idea, are you opposed to breaking the rock down into smaller pieces and making a smaller formation out of it? Either way great start I love the filter option your doing i think thats great!

Hah, I really need to wrap my head around quarantining coral before I even think about a fish. Very daunting, thus the desire for an RFA.

I'm not necessarily opposed to it, but I really would hate to break this big ancient looking rock up. All of the other pieces are fairly small, so I might break those up and see what I can do! Honestly I really just need to get this stuff in the tank and see how it looks with the magnification effect from the curved glass. I'll tell you one thing though, sexy shrimp are gonna look gigantor from certain angles

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hah, I really need to wrap my head around quarantining coral before I even think about a fish. Very daunting, thus the desire for an RFA.

I'm not necessarily opposed to it, but I really would hate to break this big ancient looking rock up. All of the other pieces are fairly small, so I might break those up and see what I can do! Honestly I really just need to get this stuff in the tank and see how it looks with the magnification effect from the curved glass. I'll tell you one thing though, sexy shrimp are gonna look gigantor from certain angles
They are gunna be sexy for sure!

Yeah thats a good plan for the rock and right now its natural looking so it would change that breaking it up.

I'm interested whatever you do and will be watching for more pictures

OP
OP
F

fulltang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just put the first bit of my live rock in my jar. Managed to stack a few pieces and created a small arch!

Waiting on some algae id on the other pieces: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/live-rock-algae-id.900176/

I'm planning on adding one branching piece on the right to create more of a cove, and then magnetizing the other branching piece for some verticality. Doing everything I can do create an interesting scape without breaking the rock up.

No orange filter yet so this is under whites, but kinda cool how it looks entirely different based on what angle you're viewing from! Please ignore the dangling temp sensor, I have all my wires ripped apart right now.

PXL_20220319_233421647.jpg
PXL_20220319_233440323.jpg
PXL_20220319_233505555.jpg
PXL_20220319_233517010.jpg
PXL_20220319_233532433.jpg
PXL_20220319_234823993.jpg

A lot leftover that I need to figure out what to do with

PXL_20220319_233611901.jpg

OP
OP
F

fulltang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whew long day of work today. I'm fairly confident my rock has Cladophoropsis wwhich is a big time bummer, but comes with the territory of live rock. I inspected the rock and rasped off what I could and hit it the spots with 35% peroxide. Interesting side effects, wherever the peroxide came in contact with that red growth/macro algae turned literally day glo orange under actinic light. Can't photograph it well because I don't have a filter, but trust it is bright! I don't think it's anything to worry about, but quite interesting none the less.

PXL_20220320_234752521.jpg

PXL_20220320_223851823.jpg

PXL_20220321_053140547.jpg

After years I finally have everything cable managed and cleaned up better than I had envisioned (ignore the sloppy paint job on the inside of the box ).

Had to solder in some longer wires for the leak sensor in order to route the reef-pi into the control box.

PXL_20220321_052338956.jpg

PXL_20220321_052352730.jpg

PXL_20220321_052416674.jpg

I made the call to cut the big branching piece with a hacksaw so as to provide me with flat spots to super glue on magnets. It worked better than I could have hoped and really did well to add an element of verticality to the tank. They should support frags I think, but I'll probably have to upgrade the magnets eventually. I'll upload some photos when my water clears up from my water change!

Also broke up the lacrosse ball size chunk into rubble to use for frags eventually, it'll fit in much better than plugs I think. My tank is a little bit more rock heavy than I envisioned, but if it comes down to it all of the pieces on the sandbed are small enough to hide in the canister filter.

Next up is ordering a CUC. I sent photos and dimensions to John at reef cleaners and he recommended this crew:

5 Dwarf Ceriths
4 Florida Ceriths
4 Virgin Nerites

Will likely place the order tomorrow.

OP
OP
F

fulltang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this! you could probably get away with a yellow clown goby in there which would look amazing!

I'm not sure if I would feel good about that one considering I'm already questioning if it's right to put an RFA in there .

Magnetized another chunk for use as a frag shelf. Was playing around with them and realized that I can move them side by side, creating 1 or 2 larger shelves! Another benefit is that I can create shade on the main rock depending on where I position those shelves.

Close to ordering the a CUC. It feels great to see the rock coming to life, there's a population of pods absolutely exploding.

PXL_20220324_063350131.jpg

PXL_20220324_074133117.jpg
PXL_20220324_074146031.jpg
PXL_20220324_074002019.jpg
PXL_20220323_014910608.jpg

OP
OP
F

fulltang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change day! 6 days since the last. Parameters (taken just before wc):

Salinity: 1.026
Ph: 7.8
Alk: 8.3 -> 8.45
Nitrate: .5 -> 3
Phosphate: .07 -> .16

Relatively big phosphate jump, but there have been big changes visually to the rock this week. Basically jumped to life with the pod explosion, visible coralline recoloration (I think) and some brownish algae growth.

PXL_20220327_001342704.jpg

PXL_20220327_001412452.jpg

Running some carbon and a small piece of filter floss in the cannister.

I'm also playing with this phase change insulation material that I got from Reef and Fins. Really curious if it will do anything, and if it does I'll figure out a better way to conceal it.

PXL_20220326_235841464.jpg

PXL_20220326_235925932.jpg

PXL_20220326_235939495.jpg

https://reefandfins.com/online-store/ols/products/pcm-sheet-for-temperature-stabilization

OP
OP
F

fulltang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update!

Just been cruising along with 2 RFAs and dealing with some GHA, manual removal on water change day using a stiff brush.

PXL_20220425_232000661.jpg

PXL_20220403_042007503~2.jpg

I have been thinking about moving to the lifegard 3.8 again for a few reasons. Obvious advantages with the AIO for reduced failure points and ease of maintenance over the canister, and I also really want a blue tuxedo urchin for my cleanup crew and nothing else. While similar water capacity, I think the peninsula form factor would be more comfortable for an urchin.

Do you guys think my jar is enough for a single small blue tuxedo?

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back