Fungia plate Coral with exposed skeletal ridges

marisp127

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for advice on my Fungia! I’ve had it for more than a year with plenty of growth and no problems. A few days ago I had to move her slightly in the tank (like a couple inches) and ever since then she’s been deteriorating fast. Parts of the skeletal ridge is showing and the tissue is shriveled. Parameters are all normal and stable just as they have been since I got it. All other corals, fish, and inverts are all fine. I feed it mysis once a week as well. Any ideas on the cause and/or remedies to help it survive?

Wasabiroot

FW Convert and now Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for advice on my Fungia! I’ve had it for more than a year with plenty of growth and no problems. A few days ago I had to move her slightly in the tank (like a couple inches) and ever since then she’s been deteriorating fast. Parts of the skeletal ridge is showing and the tissue is shriveled. Parameters are all normal and stable just as they have been since I got it. All other corals, fish, and inverts are all fine. I feed it mysis once a week as well. Any ideas on the cause and/or remedies to help it survive?
Can we see a picture? Sometimes fungia are moody; tight tissue isn't necessarily a bad sign unless the skeleton is showing. Could be irritation from sand, etc.

OP
OP
marisp127

marisp127

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E206E911-560D-4D5E-BFE9-C187D77BE071.jpeg

Here is a good picture.

Wasabiroot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm. Hard to say. I have noticed that Fungia do not like fluctuation in phosphates. The remaining tissue looks healthy, but the outlook on this coral is questionable. When they deteriorate, it's either extremely rapid or very slow. If it does recover, it will take a while. Keep it in low flow and maybe try directly feeding amino soaked food.

I'm wondering if some sand got in it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
marisp127

marisp127

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your help! It actually looks better today, only one of the skeletal ridges is visible. I’ll keep an eye on it and definitely feed the amino soaked food. It is very possible that sand got on it, my diamond goby was in the area sifting sand when I moved it so he might have dropped some right on top of her. ‍♀️

Wasabiroot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very possible. Worst case scenario you can move the fungia slightly off the sand and onto a low shelf or some rubble. In the wild they are found on rubble and even occasionally upside down, and this would help your goby avoid irritating it. Glad it's doing better.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back