Furan-2 treatment

siniang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I'm going to start Furan-2 treatment for fin rot on my trigger fish.

It's currently 5:45pm where I'm at and I just did a 35% water change. Lights will go out around 6:30pm and the trigger does go to sleep.

Can I add the first dose of Furan-2 this evening or should I wait until tomorrow morning? Does the fish sleeping affect the med effect, e.g. making it harsher on the fish somehow?

I also added one dose of "Imagitarium Bacterical Infection Remedy" yesterday afternoon. It's supposed to be added every other day, but I will not reapply. I can't find any ingredients and obviously lost some amount due to the water change, but could there be adverse effects with the Furan-2?

Thank you!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
#reefsquad ,hang tight for expert advice ,on a limb here but poss run carbon overnight first,just and opinion,to clear out 1st med :)

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use any of the "herbal" remedies so I can't comment on Imagitarium product. I dose Nitrofuracin at 250-500 mg per 20 gallons of water every 48 hours (with water change before each dose) for 10 days. If it doesn't seem to improve it could be resistant and my next step would be to add/change to Kanamycin dosed 500-750 mg/20 gallons with the same dosing frequency/water changes as Nitrofuracin.

OP
OP
S

siniang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went ahead and started the Furan-2 yesterday evening. I just didn't feel comfortable, otherwise, particularly since I started seeing some white on his tail base (i.e. the body) and more white on his one pec fin. This morning there was also a white edge on his anal fin. His caudal fin looks just plainh crappy :(

I dose Nitrofuracin at 250-500 mg per 20 gallons of water every 48 hours (with water change before each dose) for 10 days.

That's different (and higher) than the recommendation from the product, correct? They say 85 mg per 10 gallon every 24h with 25% water change after 48h. Everywhere it says to absolutely not overdose? It's also two cycles instead of one?

I'm treating in my DT because I think it would be more stressful trying to catch him and transfer to a QT, while stress is what caused this to begin with. (and since there's only one other fish in the DT anyways)

What is the likelihood of this being a resistant strain? I have zero experience with fin rot (or other bacterial infections, for that matter).

---

Does anyone know, once I gave the Imagitarium product enough time to dissipate (48h including WC? 72h with 2 WC?), can I start adding Melafix while still dosing Furan? Or should I wait until I'm done with the Furan?

Besides keep treating with antibiotics and obviously watching water parameters, is there anything I can do to improve his chances? I will try to pic up some vitamines tomorrow, but no promises (Hawaii is so limited with what's available and I ran out of the vitamines I used to do a long time ago and didn't restock because they where thriving regardless) - can I give them while medicating?

Should I reduce food to not encourage ammonia spikes? Obviously continue feeding, but decreased daily amounts? Can I safely add Ammonia reducer if I see a spike?

I'm so terrified this will kill my triggerfish :(

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

siniang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have any corals I wouldn't recommend trying to treat a fish in the DT for this problem.

Fish-only tank :) No corals, no inverts. Probably live rock after 2+ years.

Thank you for the link. I'm really confused and worried. Will stick with the product treatment recommendations for now, but am so worried it may not be effective? Especially the mention about PH?

https://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumMedication2.html#nitro said:
*Not best used in saltwater display aquarium, better in hospital tank or bath with no carbonate based decor (corals, live rock, etc.)

Should I remove my rocks? I also have some artificial caves/decor.

OP
OP
S

siniang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, and this may seem like a dumb question, but how do I do the water change without touching the water? It says the components in Furan-2 are known cancerogenes.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, NEVER start a siphon by mouth and wear gloves, you should do that all of the time in any event, it's just safer.

OP
OP
S

siniang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long until the chemical dissipates from things that got in contact with treated water (light fixture, glass and wood lid, siphon....)? I used gloves for the water change but obviously had to touch things and they also got some spray even before. Just want to keep myself and also my cats safe (everything that is not in/on the tank is outside on the deck right now)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered a living room chair and it came with a huge warning, "contains chemicals known to cause cancer"...sigh. I found the MSDS (SDS) for this product. Remember though, they are talking about the pure powder, not the material as dosed and diluted in an aquarium. This is not like malachite green or trichlorfon that pose real dangers to humans, even when diluted in aquarium water.

Here is the info: https://apifishcare.com/pdfs/products-us/furan-2/api-furan-2-safety-data-sheet.pdf

Jay

Back