Future 120g build, hard decisions ahead

python73

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a drilled 120g in my garage that is a good cleaning away from becoming a display in my basement. The real dilemma is what it becomes.

Scenario 1 - FOwLR (couple tangs, couple angels, bangaiis, maybe clowns)
Scenario 2 - Planted FW (congo tetras and clown loaches)
Scenario 3 - Reef (species tank, leaning towards millipora)

I have a lot of free space for this with possibilities of remote sump(s) and such. I can even wall off the space if I find out the tank heat raises the basement temp too much, which would allow me to vent. Had a real problem with this in my last house, which directly led to me leaving the hobby. But this basement is walk out with access to the ceiling as needed.

The freshwater is tempting for all the gear I wont have to buy and operate... FW filtration is easy peasy and the only gadget might be a CO2 setup. And I can just steal one of Adam's beer tanks for that. :) Everything is cheaper and I haven't really done more than dabble in FW setups. Bonus PGH has a giant FW club that is supposed to be fantastic.

Though now that I think about it, if I had a saltwater 120g I could pipe one of the overflows into my 55g and make that a DSB + sea grass display. Maybe put bangaiis in there, or even some cool seahorses after it was crawling with bugs. How killer would that be? Free nutrient control with an awesome biotope situation.

ARGH!

OP
OP
P

python73

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really wanted to empty and clean my 120 yesterday in the warm spell... really failed at doing so. :( Also need to build a better stand before setting it up anyway, and my garage looks like France after the war. Yay winter!

OP
OP
P

python73

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ALSO need to con Adam into building me some acrylic overflows and sump(s). Then suck him back into the hobby with me, screaming and kicking.

OP
OP
P

python73

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None as such. Florida trip looming, which could be good or bad. I'll be digging around in tidal rocks for crabs (bait) and will be likely to come across hermits and snails and other cool critters. Also have a good chance of finding live uprooted sea grass, which I'm fairly certain can be collected and also is the main ingredient in the setup I'm considering. So if I happen into a big score of sea grass I might be forced to move up my schedule.

At the same time I had a dinner date with a certain hobby celeb that leaned into me on the planted FW tank thing. Current thinking is a two tank setup side by side; one planted FW and one planted SW.

I'll post an update after I get back from the sunshine state.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love some seagrass!!! Seriously let me know if you can score some turtle grass.

OP
OP
P

python73

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The place we stayed two trips ago had a dead end street with a bulkhead. All along that wall was the most gorgeous grape caulerpa I've ever seen... but 2 feet away and for the next 100+ yards was a manatee_entangling thick as all getout turtle grass bed. I could have harvested the field limit (2 gallons) for all 4 of us and it would have laughed. And that's just one spot in hundreds of miles of shoreline.

That said, I do intend to do some harvesting. And I'll have at least two SW licenses, so limit really won't be an issue. PM me your address, and assuming everything works out I can try to priority mail you a bag of the stuff. If a couple locals have some success with it we could spread it around the club. And that's always a good thing.

OP
OP
P

python73

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not saying no to that, but I hate to disappoint you if things go wrong. So if collection is easy peasy and I can get some for you I will, just can't promise it.

OP
OP
P

python73

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a personal seagrass training session last night. Turns out proper collecting of these grasses is a bit of a crapshoot. Not getting them, but getting the correct bits that will survive and grow in our tanks. Second gotcha is that they really require a DEEP sandbed. And I'm not talking deep... but DEEP. Like 12" is a decent start. If you've ever had seasgrass live for 6-9 months and then just die for no reason, that's why. Well, one reason why.

Great info to have before I set up a tank for this. Since it will alter my tank choice.

OP
OP
P

python73

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seagrass update... that didn't happen. Water down here is low 60s and not for the casual collector.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 16 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 46 82.1%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.4%
Back