Future Battle Royal? Burning Banana vs Freak Hair vs Fruity Pebbles vs Tubbs Stellata

reefd00d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm seeing my Fruity Pebbles Monti grow pretty good these days and was wondering if I'm going to have future issues.
I have a Burning Banana Stylo, Freak Hair Pavona, Fruity Pebbles Monti, and Tubbs Stellata Monti on one rock. Right now there is plenty of room for everyone and more, but eventually they all will start to encrust and grow towards the light.
I know the BB has small sweepers.
Should I move any? or leave it them be?
Should I add anything else one this rock?
Advice?

20210110_124152 2.jpg

Ravsta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be inclined to leave them where they are if they're doing well and encrusting.

I moved a very happy Monti who turned into a very unhappy one after it had encrusted. It's always a gamble for me just as is the original placement. If you end up with huge growth which starts to shade other corals then you could always frag them and put them elsewhere? And if you end up with big gaps, then you will have a happy trip down to your LFS to buy more :D

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to lol on the names of these corals.

3 different colored montipora's and a hairy pavona. <-- Actual names, not the made up names.

And the ridiculous name game continues.

To the OP, you have plenty of space between them. It will be a while till you have to deal with coral warfare. The monti's may grow together without an issue, the pavona can and will pack a wallop, as their tentacles can get up to 3" long. My hairy pavona can and does sting a stylo thats about 4" away from it.

OP
OP
reefd00d

reefd00d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be inclined to leave them where they are if they're doing well and encrusting.

I moved a very happy Monti who turned into a very unhappy one after it had encrusted. It's always a gamble for me just as is the original placement. If you end up with huge growth which starts to shade other corals then you could always frag them and put them elsewhere? And if you end up with big gaps, then you will have a happy trip down to your LFS to buy more :D
Yeah, I was just thinking about the future
The FP, I can't move. But the others are encrusting the epoxy right now, so it is possible.

OP
OP
reefd00d

reefd00d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

3 different colored montipora's and a hairy pavona. <-- Actual names, not the made up names.

To the OP, you have plenty of space between them. It will be a while till you have to deal with coral warfare. The monti's may grow together without an issue, the pavona can and will pack a wallop, as their tentacles can get up to 3" long. My hairy pavona can and does sting a stylo thats about 4" away from it.

I agree, some names are silly and make me lol. But how would you know what I'm talking about if I said a Stylocoeniella, Pavona, and two Montiporas? That would leave it open to a lot of options. And as you know, not all corals are the same, even of the same type.

I did not know about the pavona and sweepers. I have never seen any on this type. But maybe I haven't looked at the right time, or maybe there is no need for them to come out right now. Gotta research more about that now.

I just didn't want to leave them in this spot, let them grow, and then eventually one gets encrusted over. But I guess thats the pain of limited space in a small tank!

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

To be fair, that's a very nice, very distinctive stylo, if i was buying one i'd be mad if i was expecting this and getting a green or brown one.

Back