Status
Not open for further replies.

customcolor

The coRal nuT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i did some looking and found out that www.foxvalleyreef.com is avail and so is www.foxvalleyreefclub.com ...and you know what....if i ADD a domain to my account on fatcow.com it will be only $20 for 2 years! thats only $10 a year....i could set up eather one in a few weeks...

i know some people want to change our name but i thought about it...besides us already having fvrc roll off the lips easy....just look at wrs....they have threads on rc plus they have there own site...they both have the same name..

i have some forum software loaded to the server that runs my site on fatcow.com and i have ben working on it little here and there the past few days just tryng to set it up good befor we get the .com thing

just a peek...its not much yet but im still playing..

F.V.R.C beta site

jlinzmaier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow!! Very cool Dave (and cheap). Thanks for the hard work. If others agree to go this route I'll personally pay the $20 for the first two years if Dave and others are willing to create the site.

Not sure what decision has been made on the name. I know there is a bit of controversy over keeping the name as FVRC, but the website name availability sure is convenient to make the formal club name FVRC.

I can't wait to get to our own site!!

Thanks Dave.

Jeremy

OP
OP
customcolor

customcolor

The coRal nuT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah i looked for fvrc.com, newma.com, newmas.com and non of them avail so spelling it was the way i checked and BINGO!

most people on the poll listed earlyer last month staited that fvrc was the most popular but you know that is kinda still up in the air....but....having a .com avail comes in handy to have first befor picking a name i would think

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its under my impression Dave that we didn't want to use your hosting? From the few people I have talked too they wanted to go a different route and have the account completely seperate from one's own individual account. Not trying to be rude but this is what has been conveyed to me.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dave the site is looking good! If you need any assistance let me know. )

OP
OP
customcolor

customcolor

The coRal nuT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its under my impression Dave that we didn't want to use your hosting? From the few people I have talked too they wanted to go a different route and have the account completely seperate from one's own individual account. Not trying to be rude but this is what has been conveyed to me.
the dot com would be fvrc's property and can be transfered to any host later on in the future.....i was offering a start up solution on the cheep side with a dot com involved....the dot com that would not relate to my site at all...the one posted is a beta site that can be posted on if you want to.....only the billing would be on my solders and would be the only thing linking it to me....

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dave, not to dis your hard work, but we agreed to get together for a separate meeting on this issue. Also, we were not going to decide on a set name until people paid dues so actual members were making that decision. I didn't even have time to respond to the PM which is identical to what you posted here. The time and place for this is at the next meeting with anyone who wants to specifically talk about the site. It also came up that the domain and hosting are not expensive. I don't want to argue, but by making this public, it's the only way to get the point across if you can't wait until we get together...

OP
OP
customcolor

customcolor

The coRal nuT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats why i made this public also....i relized not one person them selfs make the final call....i just wanted to show that it is in the works and what it could look like....im not trying to take over any thing....just want to keep the ball rolling so that people are not just waiting for things to happen...

but dont you need to show something to get something....you know show a site being worked on to get members??? you cant get members to a site that is not there or a club with no name.

so when is the next meeting to just descuss the club name....but i did make a point....about keeping it the same...

OP
OP
customcolor

customcolor

The coRal nuT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and i know we didnt have very long to talk about certain things like this eather....

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read again what I wrote before and I hope I didn't come off too harsh. It's just that there's going to be a lot of opinions on this and we agreed to meet on it as opposed to going the forum route so all the options can be presented at the same time with the info.

OP
OP
customcolor

customcolor

The coRal nuT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know.....things could change....just trying to show what could be done so other people can view and look....options are better shown then hidden and just talked about.....i dont know.....its late...

atleast i know that fatcow can host a forum :)

nkelr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think u did a good job dave. i think its a great idea it go with for 2 years. its alot better than paying the $90 or whatever. then the dues wouldnt have to be so much to start and we might get more official members. i know if the cost was $15 a year id be more inclined to join then $35 a year. we would still have our own domain it would just be hosted by the same company that dave uses, but in no other way associated with dave.

NewMelee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the hard work and I think as far as it being a "rough draft" of the forum/site it looks great. With that being said, we did agree to post for another meeting specific to website debate. We first need to post the new bylaws when John gets them drafted so they can be made public. Then we move forward, I know everyone is really excited but we need exercise some patience to get this right..

Again, nice work, looks fantastic, but we need to get another meeting going to discuss the website. Along with all the issues involved.

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is why most of you agreed to wait to avoid issues like this. I agree there is more to do and needs to be discussed as a group. The name hasn't been officially voted on, the by-laws haven't been voted on etc. This is something that is going to take time and needs more than one individual to do. Need to remember this is a "new group" that needs input from the members not to mention we don't even know who the members are yet. It was under my impression the "website" wouldn't be started until we knew who the members were going to be.

Bri Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than the name (which may change if paid members choose) I think its great!

I understand how most feel that we should have paid members involved in the decision making, but so far we have made many decisions (by-laws) without paid members, are we going to re-write those too once we get paid members to vote? Once we are paid members, are we going to re-write the dues cost?

IMO there is alot to be done before we are an actual club, and just as much to do once we get real members.

One last thing, as I said before, since we are an internet based club, the club should be willing to actually pay somebody to keep our site and keep it nice. What else will the club be using the money for that EVERYBODY uses daily?

heliguy71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know this is off the subject kinda but down the road if we need t-shirts made my brother in-law can design and print what we want for a logo.just let me know when that time comes and i can help get something going.

thanks mike:bigsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back