G1/G2 MP40 driver is dying, can I replace with QD upgrade driver?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Coral Euphoria

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

My very old MP40 driver is done for. Not sure what generation it is, but I included a picture. Can I replace it with the QD drivers? In other words, hook up my old dryside to this driver?

The driver I want to use:

Thanks

20200903_134527.jpg

Last edited:

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Coral Euphoria

Coral Euphoria

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah ok, I see now how this chart is relevant to my situation. It's because on my pump, actually an mp40w, the dry side is the same as the MP40wES.

Thanks for your help!

Diagram MP40.jpg

Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is not necessary to upgrade the power supply, as the MP40ES or MP40WES are all 24VDC. As long your power supply is 24VDC you should be fine. When you look at the table or even on the description of the QD upgrade, they let you know what kind of upgrade you can do but they never mention about that a new 32VDC power supply is required.

Now if you want to take a full advantage of the QD driver + QD Drive Side + QD Wet side, then getting a 32VDC is the most logical step.

I did upgrade an WES to QD and is working perfectly fine with a 24VDC power supply, is not pushing 4500 GPH but still move a lot of water for my use.

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are you asking if you interchange 32v with 24v power supplies?

If so, it's not going to hurt the driver, the only thing you lose out on is performance. The ones powered by 24v just won't reach predicted speeds.
What if I put a 32v on the 24 volt driver? I actually have 6 MP40's they all look the same but one has a 24 volt power supply.

Last edited:

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think I upgraded the old White MP40W to the new Quiet Drive. Thats why it has the 24 volts but now I don't remember which one it was.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's sort of what I was getting from your question. The drivers are the same, so it doesn't make a difference which one has 24v applied to it.

Although, perhaps this will help identify which one was upgraded. When I got my WES drivers upgrades the one thing that stood out was that the new QD driver upgrade did NOT have a serial number associated with it, while all the QD vortechs that were purchased had a serial number sticker... perhaps you can identify the upgraded one that way.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Impressive that the old dryside still works. I finally retired my last one in 2019 ..... 2011 date on it if memory serves.

Ccarcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

My very old MP40 driver is done for. Not sure what generation it is, but I included a picture. Can I replace it with the QD drivers? In other words, hook up my old dryside to this driver?

Thanks

20200903_134527.jpg
Hi did you ever proceed with thisim in a similar position have same MP40w and driver and had to replace wetside today for mp40wqd but didn't realise it won't work with existing driver. Just want to confirm I can upgrade straight to QD driver I think with the additional RF chip being required

OP
OP
Coral Euphoria

Coral Euphoria

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the QD wetside should work just fine with old MP40w, if the driver and dry side are working. I was using the QD wetside for a while with the old driver and dryside before the driver finally died.

But to answer your question, yes the QD works just fine with the the MP40w dry side.

Ccarcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the update
I just went to buy the quick drive upgrade and found it didn't come with a case which was a bit of a surprise, apparently this is how they are now shipped according to the retailer, seems a bit odd.

This causes me a 2nd problem as I only have the original wwd driver white square case and therefore not a suitable control for the newer driver

So left it for now and looking to find an alterny supplier

Did your upgrades come with the case?

Hi,

Thanks

20200903_134527.jpg
Hi did you ever proceed with this im in a similar position have same MP40w and driver and had to replace wetside today for mp40wqd but didn't realise it won't work with existing driver. Just want to confirm I can upgrade straight to QD driver I think with the additional RF chip being required
the QD wetside should work just fine with old MP40w, if the driver and dry side are working. I was using the QD wetside for a while with the old driver and dryside before the driver finally died.

But to answer your question, yes the QD works just fine with the the MP40w dry side.

OP
OP
Coral Euphoria

Coral Euphoria

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the update
I just went to buy the quick drive upgrade and found it didn't come with a case which was a bit of a surprise, apparently this is how they are now shipped according to the retailer, seems a bit odd.

This causes me a 2nd problem as I only have the original wwd driver white square case and therefore not a suitable control for the newer driver

Hi did you ever proceed with this im in a similar position have same MP40w and driver and had to replace wetside today for mp40wqd but didn't realise it won't work with existing driver. Just want to confirm I can upgrade straight to QD driver I think with the additional RF chip being required
Yeah mine came with a case. Bought it online though, from Marine Depot I believe.

OP
OP
Coral Euphoria

Coral Euphoria

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the update

Shark~bait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Thanks

20200903_134527.jpg
Hi was the upgrade quote simple to do?, I’m in the same position now but not sure how to to the switch to the new driver

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back