G5 Radion Lights - Are They Worth the Price?

Are the new Radion G5 lights worth the price?

• Yes

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • No

Votes: 62 68.1%

• Total voters

ddrueckh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The big argument for using LED reef lights was energy savings/long term cost savings. Is that still true? The new Radions are up to 205 watts and $840 each. For my 6 foot tank, I would need 4 units for a total cost of $3,360! In comparison, my 60” 8 bulb ATI Sunpower fixture costs $673 and another $200 for a set of bulbs. I could use the ATI fixture (replacing bulbs every year) for over 13 years before exceeding the price of the Radion fixtures. Comparing energy, my ATI fixture uses 640 watts while the Radions would use the same at 78%. I don’t see much cost savings energy wise. While I agree the Radions look nice, what am I missing? Are these lights really worth the money?

jlts21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you need 4? 2 ran parallel should suffice, maybe 3. I have never understood why BRS and others mount lights perpendicular. The front to back spread is not going to be that much less if you mount them parallel. The lights are rectangle and so is your tank, mount em the same way But back to your original question, were the G4’s worth the price before the G5’s came out? I’d say yes, and the G5’s are better than the G4’s.

IronVulture

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5 will grow coral but you will never get the pop that leds provide and those g5 blues look amazing. I am surprised ecotech isn’t charging at least 1k for those lights.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess we'll see. I ordered 2 this morning. I was already going order some Gen 4's this week and these came out.

They are not cheap for sure, however I was pleasantly surprised they weren't considerably more than the Gen 4.
BRS is having an amazing sale on the g4 pros with free diffusers.

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could go the MH/T5 route + supplement with some led-strips for that extra pop and should get something that’s easily as good in terms of coral health and growth if not better...but who knows, these bad boys might just be the best thing ever and blow everything out of the water.

Shameless_Dood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could go the MH/T5 route + supplement with some led-strips for that extra pop and should get something that’s easily as good in terms of coral health and growth if not better...but who knows, these bad boys might just be the best thing ever and blow everything out of the water.

So that's part of the reason I am changing. I have MH / T5 now and just tired of dealing with the heat which most of the time was manageable with a fan and kicking the AC down a little bit, but when we get those "in-between" temperature days where the AC doesn't run as much, the temperature swing is just a little too much for my liking.

goggs29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The big argument for using LED reef lights was energy savings/long term cost savings. Is that still true? The new Radions are up to 205 watts and $840 each. For my 6 foot tank, I would need 4 units for a total cost of $3,360! In comparison, my 60” 8 bulb ATI Sunpower fixture costs $673 and another $200 for a set of bulbs. I could use the ATI fixture (replacing bulbs every year) for over 13 years before exceeding the price of the Radion fixtures. Comparing energy, my ATI fixture uses 640 watts while the Radions would use the same at 78%. I don’t see much cost savings energy wise. While I agree the Radions look nice, what am I missing? Are these lights really worth the money?
Excellent point

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS is having an amazing sale on the g4 pros with free diffusers.

I wouldn't waste money on the G4's. I'd personally put in the extra money and get the G5's.

As a long time radion user, I feel the Gap is too large between the G4 and G5. I wouldn't purchase a G4 just to save a couple hundred. This isn't like a G3 to G4 where we have a minor upgrade.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To buy them, sure, but don’t think it’s worth to upgrade from G4 Pros. Given I am running my G4’s at 60% on the SPS AB+ program, I would not benefit from the output increase of the G5. Using diffusers, the only difference would be more even par I think.

Last edited:

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5 will grow coral but you will never get the pop that leds provide and those g5 blues look amazing. I am surprised ecotech isn’t charging at least 1k for those lights.
Just looks. If you frag the same colony and place one frag under LED and one under T5, I'd bet good money the frag that head up under T5 would display significantly more vibrant and rich color when viewed under the same LED as the LED-grown frag. In short, T5 will produce the more colorful/vibrant coral but LED will show it off better...

As for ROI, I'd love to know how many Radion fixtures are still kicking around after 10 years, much less 13...

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looks. If you frag the same colony and place one frag under LED and one under T5, I'd bet good money the frag that head up under T5 would display significantly more vibrant and rich color when viewed under the same LED as the LED-grown frag. In short, T5 will produce the more colorful/vibrant coral but LED will show it off better...

Im not sure if it works like that— I think LED brings out different pigments over time. That’s why things “color up” under LEDs

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure if it works like that— I think LED brings out different pigments over time. That’s why things “color up” under LEDs
Usually duller and less varied pigments is my experience. Most of the shops I buy from are mainly T5 grown. Can never keep the crazy colors a few of them get. XR-15 Pro G4

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back