G5 radion vs ReeFi, which is better for SPS dominant tank

CaptPatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m about to buy lights for a new build, have always wanted radions and had my mind made up until I recently saw the ReeFi lights. Is anybody using them that had radions before and can offer a comparison? They will be on an SPS dominant tank. Thanks for any info.

Reefer_GQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were you thinking about the ReeFi Uno or the ReeFi Duo Extreme?
Below is a link to @SuncrestReef 's detailed comparison. He swapped out his Radions for ReeFi Duo Extreme.

OP
OP
CaptPatrick

CaptPatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I actually watched and read that last night, I read that a single duo could do 36”x30” but that pretty big coverage, so I’d like to hear from some people to get a better idea of how accurate that is.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Comparison was against gen4 not gen5.

gioNVA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've am heavily invested in Radions. I've had Radions from XR30 Gen 1, G3, to G4 Pros, XR15 G3/4. I tried the Reefi Uno to see if it would be any better than what I have now and see if that's the path I want to take since I am looking to replace my lights. I just installed the Uno last weekend and so far the spectrum is just what I was looking for. Just by looking at it, it looks very heavy at the ~440nm spectrum. The SPS just looks to to be more fluorescent under the Reefi. I also have a lot of clownfish and they look much better under the Reefi, most likely due to the mint and amber LEDs. The clownfish actually looks orange/red now. Under Radions with the SPS AB program, they tend to look reddish brown. The standard SPS program on the Reefi looks to be between 14000 to 18000K. I think it's worth while upgrade from my G4 Pros. I also like the fact that the Reefi reflectors keep the light spill to a minumum. On my Radions, the lens protrude from under the fixture so the lights bother me when I'm viewing the tank from a sitting position. My LFS has the G5s and I feel that they have a similar spectrum to the G4s but with better spread.

I've had great results in my SPS tank from Radions and have had no issues with them. With the Reefi, I don't know how the corals will respond to it long term but everything looks better as of now. The Radions do have better and more mounting options that looks nicer.

OP
OP
CaptPatrick

CaptPatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've am heavily invested in Radions. I've had Radions from XR30 Gen 1, G3, to G4 Pros, XR15 G3/4. I tried the Reefi Uno to see if it would be any better than what I have now and see if that's the path I want to take since I am looking to replace my lights. I just installed the Uno last weekend and so far the spectrum is just what I was looking for. Just by looking at it, it looks very heavy at the ~440nm spectrum. The SPS just looks to to be more fluorescent under the Reefi. I also have a lot of clownfish and they look much better under the Reefi, most likely due to the mint and amber LEDs. The clownfish actually looks orange/red now. Under Radions with the SPS AB program, they tend to look reddish brown. The standard SPS program on the Reefi looks to be between 14000 to 18000K. I think it's worth while upgrade from my G4 Pros. I also like the fact that the Reefi reflectors keep the light spill to a minumum. On my Radions, the lens protrude from under the fixture so the lights bother me when I'm viewing the tank from a sitting position. My LFS has the G5s and I feel that they have a similar spectrum to the G4s but with better spread.

I've had great results in my SPS tank from Radions and have had no issues with them. With the Reefi, I don't know how the corals will respond to it long term but everything looks better as of now. The Radions do have better and more mounting options that looks nicer.
Thanks for the info. How is the control of the lights, I saw a video on it but do you find it pretty straight forward? It’s not an app but a webpage?

AlainD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Reefi control is very easy and no problem with it

LDog74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not Reefi vs Radion however hopefully my story helps you!
I have 4 Reefi duo extremes & just added 2 Reefi unos for better overall coverage as my corals grow.
I could not be happier with my Reefi’s which I have owned for 12 months now. In searching for lighting for my tank I did a lot of research & emailed a few people that knew more than me about lighting an SPS tank. Based on that info I chose Reefi. Daniel has been very helpful along the way & provides excellent customer service.

My tank is SPS dominant (78x28x26) and the top of my scape sits 13” - 14” off the bottom. I did this to allow for plenty of coral growth up.
I recently rented a par meter from BRS and was getting consistent readings of 250-300 at the top of my rock scape. This was prior to adding the two Unos. I also took the readings with my net lid (fish saver) on the tank & pumps full day flow for a true par measurement. (Water movement really effects the par reading). I have dual returns, 2 mp40’s & 3 Red Sea Reefwave 45 for movement.
Remember this reading is basically in the middle of my tank with a lid & massive water movement, lights sitting 10” off the water. Pretty impressive.
Prior to adding the Unos I had excellent color & growth on my corals with fish popping with color.
IMO I believe the Reefi‘s combination of par & spectrum provide corals exactly what they need to grow & thrive. Had I not rented the par meter I probably would’ve never added the additional two Unos but I am starting to add some very expensive high end SPS and wanted to make sure my coverage was more than efficient moving forward with growth & shading.
I hope this helps you & others. We have so many options when it comes to lighting & its expensive so you want to get it right the first time. I couldn’t be happier with my purchase & experience.

FC7ECEBF-70A9-43F3-96D1-E6A4C0497692.jpeg 6AD5F819-41D9-4B29-B18E-FEDBF5AFEBEE.jpeg

Last edited:

alysak6075

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 Reefi duo extremes & just added 2 Reefi unos for better overall coverage as my corals grow.
I could not be happier with my Reefi’s which I have owned for 12 months now. In searching for lighting for my tank I did a lot of research & emailed a few people that knew more than me about lighting an SPS tank. Based on that info I chose Reefi. Daniel has been very helpful along the way & provides excellent customer service.

My tank is SPS dominant (78x28x26) and the top of my scape sits 13” - 14” off the bottom. I did this to allow for plenty of coral growth up.
I recently rented a par meter from BRS and was getting consistent readings of 250-300 at the top of my rock scape. This was prior to adding the two Unos. I also took the readings with my net lid (fish saver) on the tank & pumps full day flow for a true par measurement. (Water movement really effects the par reading). I have dual returns, 2 mp40’s & 3 Red Sea Reefwave 45 for movement.
Remember this reading is basically in the middle of my tank with a lid & massive water movement, lights sitting 10” off the water. Pretty impressive.
Prior to adding the Unos I had excellent color & growth on my corals with fish popping with color.
IMO I believe the Reefi‘s combination of par & spectrum provide corals exactly what they need to grow & thrive. Had I not rented the par meter I probably would’ve never added the additional two Unos but I am starting to add some very expensive high end SPS and wanted to make sure my coverage was more than efficient moving forward with growth & shading.
I hope this helps you & others. We have so many options when it comes to lighting & its expensive so you want to get it right the first time. I couldn’t be happier with my purchase & experience.

FC7ECEBF-70A9-43F3-96D1-E6A4C0497692.jpeg 6AD5F819-41D9-4B29-B18E-FEDBF5AFEBEE.jpeg
That looks like an awesome build!

LDog74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

alysak6075

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to the spec, Reefi Uno is similar in power to the new Kessil a500x, but with half the price. It's also similar form as a tight spot light. I'll probably add couple LED bar, like reefbrites or orphek, to supply some fill light to reduce shadowing. I think Reefi Uno will be the light of my choice when I start my frag tank.

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was considering replacing my A360X with the Uno's. From the sounds of it, everyone with one is very happy. Out of curiosity, how high is everyone mounting their Unos?

OP
OP
CaptPatrick

CaptPatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. Your tank looks great! So I have not heard of anyone who is not impressed with these lights, I think ReeFi is the way to go.

RhinoNM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 6 Reefi Unos covering a 48"x35"x20" tank. I mounted them using 2040 and Reefi mounts. Absolutely love them. I was to order g5's originally but read too much BS on quality, fan noise and the programing. Reefi has none of those problems and you save a boatload with not having to buy Ecotechs expensive mounting and their light diffuser. Reefis have 0 disco effect on my rather shallow tank. And they are powerful and no glare. Best lights I have ever owned hands down and Ive had them all..G4's, AI's, T5 blah blah..

Attachments

• uno1.jpg
    uno1.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 205
  • uno2.jpg
    uno2.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 189
  • uno4.jpg
    uno4.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 222
OP
OP
CaptPatrick

CaptPatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 6 Reefi Unos covering a 48"x35"x20" tank. I mounted them using 2040 and Reefi mounts. Absolutely love them. I was to order g5's originally but read too much BS on quality, fan noise and the programing. Reefi has none of those problems and you save a boatload with not having to buy Ecotechs expensive mounting and their light diffuser. Reefis have 0 disco effect on my rather shallow tank. And they are powerful and no glare. Best lights I have ever owned hands down and Ive had them all..G4's, AI's, T5 blah blah..
Thanks for taking the time to respond. If you had to guess what would you think one uno’s coverage would be for sps?

RhinoNM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
24" x 24" at 11.5" above the water line gives a pretty even spread. Those par measurements are listed on their site. I like being able to raise the Uno's up higher than most lights like the Radion. It gives you more room to work without having to work around the light.

OP
OP
CaptPatrick

CaptPatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the ReeFi have pre programmed sps schedules? Also can I use my iPhone to access the programming page or will I need to use a computer? I read recently someone was having issues accessing it and had to use google chrome

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 52.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back