G6 Upgrade Kit - Isn't the Price Absurd?

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You all are forgetting about all the rich noobs entering this hobby that will gladly pay $400 to have the latest and greatest. To them, having the G6 is the key to successfully bring out the color of their $600 WWC Holy Crap I Overpaid acro. Without the G6, their tank will 100% crash even with perfect parameters based on their daily ICP tests.

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You all are forgetting about all the rich noobs entering this hobby that will gladly pay $400 to have the latest and greatest. To them, having the G6 is the key to successfully bring out the color of their $600 WWC Holy Crap I Overpaid acro. Without the G6, their tank will 100% crash even with perfect parameters based on their daily ICP tests.
I'm having trouble figuring out how you really feel about the noobs.

Last edited:

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 3 gen 4 XR30 pro. I have nothing to be jealous about ... =P
Not the "rich noobs entering this hobby that will gladly pay $400 to have the latest and greatest"? The "$600 WWC Holy Crap I Overpaid acro"? The "daily ICP tests"?

Chain pulling.

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any rich noobs out there wanting to donate their old pieces of crap Gen 5s to a good cause? Contact me. ;)

BARNAKEWLZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought, but the upgrade kind of sounds like a solution to a foreseen part shortage?!? Maybe? The cost just doesn’t add up. Why wouldn’t they just make more lights to sell. It’s the top of the line light on the market. I could be reaching.. my guess is the g6 is going to be out of stock with the upgrade as the only option.. but the real question is, Where is this graveyard of G5 parts going to be? I’ll find my own heat sink and housing.

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a new concept for Radions. They offered various upgrades to earlier versions.

Last edited:

BARNAKEWLZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a new concept for Radions. They offered various upgrades to earlier versions.
Very True.. it was weird then too. Just the way supply chains are these days I wouldn’t be surprised. The juice just isn’t worth the squeeze for me

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after watching the video, you upgrade the firmware, then change out the LED array and optics. OMG, you're paying $400 just to replace the cheapest parts of the system.

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very True.. it was weird then too. Just the way supply chains are these days I wouldn’t be surprised. The juice just isn’t worth the squeeze for me.
I think there's a marginal difference between selling your old G5s and replacing with G6s or going the upgrade route. I guess you could also sell the old G5 LEDs as spare assemblies.

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gen 4 or earlier to Gen 6 I totally understand. Why you would upgrade from 5 to 6? not so much. £500 here in the UK to upgrade which is just too much for me personally. I do like the upgrade idea though in terms of less waste.

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's nice and cool that ecotech would offer an upgrade path for G5 users to have the new G6. But at $400 to upgrade the xr30 and $200 to upgrade the xr15 is simply absurd in my most humble opinion. I don't profess to know the labor/manufacturing costs of these kits but to the current G5 owners, its does not make sense to drop another $400 per light. It just doesn't. I scored a screaming hot deal and purchased 3 used G5 XR30s from another reefer at $533 per light. Adding another $400 per light nullifies the great deal I found. Though I would break even as if I purchased the lights new, to me, still doesn't make sense because I am 100% certain that I would not purchase these lights at full retail. Perspective is key and I am sure there are several of you out there who believe the upgrade path is "mind-blowing." I can respect that perspective. I actually find the price to be a tad bit abusive. Anyhow, let's discuss. Share your thoughts with me.
As someone pointed out, if you've had the Gen 5's for awhile you might want to upgrade and this is a cheaper alternative.
I don't know if you've seen Jake Adams review but he said there's a significant difference (improved appearance) in the "blue" version. Particularly beneficial for SPS. So I just ordered an XR30 blue upgrade. If it looks good, I'll upgrade my XR15's.
And by the way, in swapping out for the newer model you're left with the parts of the G5 which may be of some value.
For example if someone has a G5 pro and would prefer a G5 blue or vice versa you could sell the parts.
I'm assuming, of course, that swapping the parts of G5's Blue and Pro can be done.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back