G6 Upgrade Kit - Isn't the Price Absurd?

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I just don’t see anyone upgrading at this price. most would be better off selling their used G5’s then just buying the new ones. At $400, it would only make sense to buy the upgrade kit if you couldn’t sell your used g5’s for >$550, which you can.

Well, the used price just went south because G6 is out.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope that people at ecotech see this thread and come back down to earth with something more realistic.
I am thinking about it and not sure how much the price of the g5s would drop later on, but if lets say they reduce the price of the upgrade kit and the price of the g5s I don't think they would be happy with people buying g5s (even if used) and upgrading them to g6s at a cheaper price than the actual g6.
Either way I am not a big fan of the radions, Hail Hydra (the lights).

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure they improved the spread, but I seriously doubt that you can reduce the number of fixtures based on the improvements alone, that's simply ridiculous. It's the same size fixture, what little improvements in spread are superficial at best. I like that they added more violets and warm whites, but it's still a vastly overpriced fixture like most LED fixtures. I will say that I love seeing all of the marketing terms being used here, talk about over-sensationalized.
And frankly, the listed coverage sizes were already super optimistic.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking about it and not sure how much the price of the g5s would drop later on, but if lets say they reduce the price of the upgrade kit and the price of the g5s I don't think they would be happy with people buying g5s (even if used) and upgrading them to g6s at a cheaper price than the actual g6.
Either way I am not a big fan of the radions, Hail Hydra (the lights).
so... might be this is elsewhere in the thread, but... how long for the turnaround and how is the tank lit in the meantime?

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really love that I bought 3 g5 blues a month ago and BAM G6's come out and prices are slashed on the g5s. I have such great timing. $200 for an upgrade x3... na. What's that $200 really get you? Doesn't really seem like the slight shift in spectrum really justifies that cost per light.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so... might be this is elsewhere in the thread, but... how long for the turnaround and how is the tank lit in the meantime?
Not sure how long it will take. But if you are asking about my tank(a reefer 250), its lit with one Ai hydra 32 and 2 prime 16 hds.
I had a side by side comparison between the hydra and the radion, The hydra checked all the boxes.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running 3 systems with 3 different light setups. G5s/reefbreeders v2/ maxspect jumps. They all grow coral and I'm always moving things between them with no ill effects. The cheaper lights are by far easier to control and program. Obviously I'm no fan boy of any lights but Mobius sucks period. Maybe fix that first before throwing out a new and "improved" version of the light. Definitely won't be doing an upgrade as I have the reefbrite kits mounted on my radions. Forgot to mention those..

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure they improved the spread, but I seriously doubt that you can reduce the number of fixtures based on the improvements alone, that's simply ridiculous. It's the same size fixture, what little improvements in spread are superficial at best. I like that they added more violets and warm whites, but it's still a vastly overpriced fixture like most LED fixtures. I will say that I love seeing all of the marketing terms being used here, talk about over-sensationalized.
I did say in theory - but it would be very situational dependent. Like in mine, where I might be able to eliminate a G5 Radion XR15 in the center with increased coverage from the pair of G5 XR30s on either side. As I indicated, though - even selling the G5 XR15 I'm only going to recoup some of my upgrade costs.

Don't get me wrong - I'm happy there's an upgrade path. I just doesn't seem to make economic sense at this point - unless I'm missing something,

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say that BRS really took the hype train marketing approach. I like the cellphone comparison above because the marketing techniques used by apple were definitely mimicked by BRS. Can't say that I truly like the approach but hey, businesses have to make money right? No hate here.

My personal philosophy is this, when a product is no longer can no longer prove to use that its worth its value, that's when companies have to start spending money on convincing consumers that it is. Products will eventually stop speaking for themselves.

I will say that BRS really took the hype train marketing approach. I like the cellphone comparison above because the marketing techniques used by apple were definitely mimicked by BRS. Can't say that I truly like the approach but hey, businesses have to make money right? No hate here.

My personal philosophy is this, when a product is no longer can no longer prove to use that its worth its value, that's when companies have to start spending money on convincing consumers that it is. Products will eventually stop speaking for themselves.

What does brs have to do with this? They don't make the light

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did say in theory - but it would be very situational dependent. Like in mine, where I might be able to eliminate a G5 Radion XR15 in the center with increased coverage from the pair of G5 XR30s on either side. As I indicated, though - even selling the G5 XR15 I'm only going to recoup some of my upgrade costs.

Don't get me wrong - I'm happy there's an upgrade path. I just doesn't seem to make economic sense at this point - unless I'm missing something,
Totally agree. It also depends on what animals you're trying to provide light for. Mixed or softies, no problem, but full on sps, that's a whole other ballgame. Even if the spread has increased, it's still coming from a small panel. You can't change the physics, unless you change the actual source size.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm fairly confident this is just because they don't want to lose out on money from the customers who would just say why get the new one if I can upgrade mine? I very much doubt this is costly on their end to make given how the new light appears nearly identical to the previous model

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm fairly confident this is just because they don't want to lose out on money from the customers who would just say why get the new one if I can upgrade mine? I very much doubt this is costly on their end to make given how the new light appears nearly identical to the previous model
Very likely. I wonder if this will be the path going forward? ie: the G7 will use the same mounts and you can just upgrade the LED cluster from your G5/G6.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same parent company: Bertram Capital

That doesn't mean it's the same company.

If you are referring to why Ryam likes the radions so much, it's simply because they are fantastic lights. Ryan isn't concerned with the costs when talking about his preferences as he gets these things for a very low cost, and when they do mention the lights, they actually calculated it as the best bang for buck for price per par compared to most other major lights they sold at the time. I dislike ecotech, but they make one of the best if not the best LED light on the market

San Diego Reef Fan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been going back-and-forth between the Kessil A360x and Radion Xr15 pro G5’s. Chose Kessil before the new G6’s came out and glad I did. Sure they are all fantastic.

eaquintero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's a great option to have, but not a necessary option for everyone. As far as the price goes, it makes sense that it wouldn't be cheap looking at the overall price of the new g6 fixtures. Most of the costs are coming from the led board and the lense. With this upgrade you are basically paying for a new light minus the heat sink, case and power supply.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back