OP
Gablami

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took down my GHL fans from my current tank, cleaned them, and mounted them on the light fixture today. Put in some 1cm spacers and mounted them to the 8020 similarly to the orpheks. Still need to do some cable management.

5BAF73AB-FA28-4CEB-BF19-FC2FC88B8DBB.jpeg

3E515394-797F-48A7-A9B6-AB1F54CF6065.jpeg

0B656082-7443-4DE8-88C2-85AFFC4783AD.jpeg

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very well thought out build. Following along. You see to have thought through your setup and have a plan for how you would like it to run. I think that always makes for a more enjoyable and successful tank long term. Following.

That is great news on having a date for the tank to arrive.

OP
OP
Gablami

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very well thought out build. Following along. You see to have thought through your setup and have a plan for how you would like it to run. I think that always makes for a more enjoyable and successful tank long term. Following.

That is great news on having a date for the tank to arrive.

Thanks! It’s all the things I wish I would/could have done the first time around. Like getting a do-over.

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the lighting. This is looking like a great tank build.

OP
OP
Gablami

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it’s time to discuss water stations. I don’t have much room indoors so when I first started this hobby, I setup my RODI system outdoors. Eventually I bought two 65 gallon Norwesco bins. I decided to go with horizontal bins one stacked atop the other as opposed to the traditional vertical bins that I see most often.

9DC7B8A2-DDFB-4371-B8D8-5138F459FB7C.jpeg

C5C8141D-23FB-40C4-8D0F-01ECC71F9017.jpeg

The horizontal setup is a lot simpler in concept and in plumbing. With the RODI water up high, you can turn one valve and gravity drain into the mixing container. With the vertical setup, you need to turn more valves and turn on the pump.

Also, cleaning the tanks is easier horizontal. I’ll be honest, I’ve only cleaned the mixing tank twice in three years. And there is definitely a lot of crude in the mixing station. But at least with the horizontal tank I can reach the bottom and scrub a bit. Maybe it’s not a big deal with the vertical tank and you just let it soak and rinse it out. I’ll never know...

15C9EBA2-2119-41E6-B6EE-9791C8437ADC.jpeg

The RODI tank is teed off to fill my 30-gallon ATO reservoir in the crawl space. There is a float valve on reservoir. I have a temperature probe, a powerhead, and a 300W heater in the mixing station.

8E6B4FDB-F198-4D2B-9C12-D5E6859C0796.jpeg

The NSW container is teed off to a pump and to a spigot for 5g water jugs. The new build will be about 8 feet away from the pump, so I am envisioning draining the sump with a ball valve; then attaching the tubing to an extra bulkhead on my sump, turning the valve and starting the pump, and having pump shut off using an optical sensor in the sump.

For my RODI system, I’ve got a BRS system with pressure gauge and triple TDS meter. It’s connected to a hose bib. I added a chloramine monster after the carbon filters, and a second RO water saver unit to boost my production to 150gpd. So I guess you could call it an 8 stage unit.

The location does get some sun. There is a tree providing shade right over it, but it’s not covered all the time. I think the shelving cover does help. I painted the NSW container black and left a strip unpainted so I can see the water level. I have never seen any algae growing in the RODI storage container, but I do get a small amount of green in the chloramine monster (probably because it’s not covered as well, and there is probably more stuff for the algae to grow with in it). But beggars can’t be choosers. If you’re looking for an outdoor setup, it can definitely be done.

Last edited:

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! Let’s jump to lighting. I’ve had experience with all LEDs (kessil) then did LED/T5 hybrid, and experimented with a 6 bulb Sunpower with reefbrites. For this build I want to go all LED. I don’t want to change bulbs, and heat is a major factor for me (I’m in California, so I’m cooling my tank with fans more often than heating it).

So for LED only, for an SPS only tank, I wanted good quality, even coverage. Initially I was convinced I would go with 10 XR15s with diffusers spaced out evenly. But the costs made me hesitant to bite the bullet. Almost more than the costs, the idea of managing all those cables and power bricks was giving me a headache.

Ultimately I decided on Orphek Atlantik v4 gen 2. For big tanks, the price per acreage just can’t be beat. I spoke with James at Orphek, and he said 3 panels for a tank oriented perpendicular would work. I decided to go with 4 panels.

For awhile i struggled with how to mount the lights. But I think I’m going with the top diagram.

AE84C66E-1A1C-4A98-A925-8654EDEF54FB.jpeg
Really like CAD software you used to draw-out (design) your tank. Would you mind sharing what software you use. You are doing a terrific job in describing the progress of your tank and the thought process you went through.

OP
OP
Gablami

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really like CAD software you used to draw-out (design) your tank. Would you mind sharing what software you use. You are doing a terrific job in describing the progress of your tank and the thought process you went through.

Thanks! I do get kinda long-winded, but maybe it makes for a good read. Trying to throw in some photos once in awhile. :)

It’s actually done with PowerPoint. When I was in middle school and high school I made all sorts of technical diagrams for my dad using PowerPoint. I recently tried learning sketchup but couldn’t get a hang of it. PowerPoint is easy. You can format the size of any line or shape, so I just have the numbers in inches, and made the slide size super large. There’s no 3D rendering though. Very much 2D.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gablami

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the tunze turbelle 6255s today. BRS had a 10% tunze sale. It’s a pretty good sized powerhead - larger than I expected. Hoping that just two of these on the side panel can handle all the flow. Looking forward to seeing what it can do in the tank!

7E80DA5C-487E-4F4D-B919-1276C10A9122.jpeg

For the skimmer, I’ve currently got a Bubble King Double Cone 180 running on my Reefer. I’ll probably switch that over initially and see how it does. I also bought a used BK Double Cone 200 for this build that I’ll probably switch out once I get my fish load up.

E50F6CB5-F8AB-476F-B5F4-046D6B9B1F6F.jpeg

I’m going to run a triton sump, with a big fuge without socks. It will be lit by a used H380.

Will have dual returns, my red dragon speedy 3 100W that is currently running, and a vectra M2 that I currently have stored as a backup. Each pump will run to its own 1” return on the DT, and both with have a 57W AquaUV sterilizer plumbed in line. I already have one running and will buy one more.

I plan to have the red dragon pump do most of the heavy lifting and leave that UV on mostly as a clarifier or for dinos/algae. The vectra will run low and with its UV off. If I ever get ich, I’ll turn the red dragon down and turn up the vectra, and have both UV on. I know it all sounds confusing, but if you’re following me so far, and have a question, I can elaborate in more detail.

Ddot38m

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had two AP700s and 4 T5 bulbs. I think for LED/T5 hybrid, Kessils are the best option given its unparalleled shimmer. I have no specific complaints about that combination. Kessils alone do result in a good amount of shadowing.

I used 2 blue plus and 2 coral plus bulbs which give a little bit a whiter appearance, but you can use the Kessils to give it whatever appearance you like.

With 4 bulbs, I had the T5 doing the heavy lifting during the peak periods. With 2 bulbs, the Kessils will have to do a little bit more, but they are more than up to the task. I was only running my Kessils around 30% max power.
84F4A738-2BAC-46A4-B5D0-7BD4C1910B05.jpeg

A7F6DC12-EDBC-451C-9BEC-EE465D275C3D.jpeg

07BC22DB-484C-4A8C-AFC4-B50F941026FE.jpeg

E41D931B-09AF-4C34-9EA4-53AFB43B2EA7.jpeg
Where did you get the wood to make the canopy from? I really like the open style concept.

OP
OP
Gablami

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get the wood to make the canopy from? I really like the open style concept.
I just got it from Home Depot. It’s solid wood (don’t remember what type) and they sell it as a long 3.5 inch wide strip. I used a Kreg’s mini jig pocket hole kit to connect the 4 pieces to make a rectangle. And put one piece in the top center as a cross brace. Really easy! Let me know if you have other questions.

offtropic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking build! Any update on the tank delivery?

I noticed your intention to plan this over on @rds85 's thread so happy to finally stumble across it (fellow Bay Area reefer here as well). I'm in the planning stage for a large peninsula (a littler taller than yours so would be eurobraced) and your plan has some similarities and I find myself also looking at the same equipment (flow and lights). I go back and forth on cabinet versus floating canopy and love the simple elegant 'floater' you have on your current tank so might have more questions about that.

Looking forward to seeing this come together!

OP
OP
Gablami

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking build! Any update on the tank delivery?

I noticed your intention to plan this over on @rds85 's thread so happy to finally stumble across it (fellow Bay Area reefer here as well). I'm in the planning stage for a large peninsula (a littler taller than yours so would be eurobraced) and your plan has some similarities and I find myself also looking at the same equipment (flow and lights). I go back and forth on cabinet versus floating canopy and love the simple elegant 'floater' you have on your current tank so might have more questions about that.

Looking forward to seeing this come together!
Thanks for stopping by and saying hi! It’s exciting that you’re planning a tank of that size. That’s probably the one thing that I still wonder about for this build: whether I should have gone 30” tall with eurobrace. One day, hopefully many years from now, if I do another build I’ll probably keep the same stand and just upgrade the tank to that size.

I finally have some news on the tank. Trent at CDA has been working to finish up the tank and the steel frame this week. Then he’ll work on the wood wrap as the silicone cures for two weeks or so, and then delivery! I’m hoping to have some photos of the process next week, but I’ve learned not to get my hopes up too much during this process.

Yes, please ask away regarding my previous floating canopy. Maybe I’ll even do a post here since I’ve gotten a few question on it on PM.

OP
OP
Gablami

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the meanwhile, I’ve been trying to plan out a custom sump with advanced acrylics. John has been great and very responsive to work with (you’ll get emails and texts responded to quickly). His PVC/acrylic hybrid sump looks pretty slick and I’m thinking of going with the grey PVC color.

I want to have a triton method sump, which is refugium first without filter socks. The dimensions will be 48x28x16”. Here’s what I’ve sketched out.

60F2BF25-A169-402B-A140-570F314B24C8.jpeg

DE63DF9C-0B41-42D4-A750-7B4BF532FEAF.jpeg

Let me know if you think I’m making any mistakes here or have any suggestions. Here’s a photo of their sumps. Obviously not mine, but gives you an idea of what it might look like.

CD27F9C8-21FD-4782-AC63-247881C4D124.png

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great clean build! I really like the passthroughs for managing the cords from the light fixture. I will definitely be using that in the future.

I was planning on adding some dedicated outlets for my upcoming build and was considering whether I should use GFCI vs other means of moisture resistance. I have zero electrical experience, so not sure if this is a valid concern, but I was worried that the GFCI might get tripped while I was away and lose power to part of the system. I was wondering if I might be better served using something like an outdoor outlet cover. Interested to know your perspective on this. Really great build thread!

OP
OP
Gablami

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great clean build! I really like the passthroughs for managing the cords from the light fixture. I will definitely be using that in the future.

I was planning on adding some dedicated outlets for my upcoming build and was considering whether I should use GFCI vs other means of moisture resistance. I have zero electrical experience, so not sure if this is a valid concern, but I was worried that the GFCI might get tripped while I was away and lose power to part of the system. I was wondering if I might be better served using something like an outdoor outlet cover. Interested to know your perspective on this. Really great build thread!
Thanks! I’m enjoying the build. Planning and executing is a lot of fun for me.

I’m a firm believer in gfci protection. I haven’t had a gfci trip on me that wasn’t real. If you look for it, you’ll eventually find the leaky device.

I like having individual outlets as gfci, as opposed to the circuit board switch. That way, less equipment gets shut down if it trips. You can also plan redundancy to equipment. Dual return pumps on difference outlets, same with pumps, same with heaters. So losing one set of outlets doesn’t cripple a tank.

I’m not really following what you mean by installing outdoor covers on your outlets instead of gfci. Gfci isn’t protecting the outlets from moisture, it’s protecting you and your loved ones from your electrical devices in water. Sorry if I’m sounding obvious and I’m misunderstanding.

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I’m enjoying the build. Planning and executing is a lot of fun for me.

I’m a firm believer in gfci protection. I haven’t had a gfci trip on me that wasn’t real. If you look for it, you’ll eventually find the leaky device.

I like having individual outlets as gfci, as opposed to the circuit board switch. That way, less equipment gets shut down if it trips. You can also plan redundancy to equipment. Dual return pumps on difference outlets, same with pumps, same with heaters. So losing one set of outlets doesn’t cripple a tank.

I’m not really following what you mean by installing outdoor covers on your outlets instead of gfci. Gfci isn’t protecting the outlets from moisture, it’s protecting you and your loved ones from your electrical devices in water. Sorry if I’m sounding obvious and I’m misunderstanding.
Thanks, makes sense, and the redundancy on different outlets seems like a good solution.

newjack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally found the New tank build thread. I can see you’re taking this set up serious Gabe, I’m following this build now. Looking sweet so far.

OP
OP
Gablami

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally found the New tank build thread. I can see you’re taking this set up serious Gabe, I’m following this build now. Looking sweet so far.
Even though I feel like I know what I’m doing, I haven’t had the success I want with acros like you and @RandyC. I’m going to be running my moves by the two of you once this gets going.

Last edited:

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 31 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back