OP
Gablami

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting there! Wood wrap around a steel stand. Props to Trent and Zoya and CDA! Hope to get it delivered soon.

92257DEA-6285-41EC-ACF7-B3B7F5A33E52.jpeg
5C66AAEF-C0F1-4A6C-9A6D-35290ECEFD46.jpeg
AAF1421C-90BF-4BB7-8B06-5D8C776F471E.jpeg
C26E0E2D-5BBB-4677-82A1-269EF32E5E2E.jpeg
Removable leg to get the sump in.

DE02BAC6-485C-4BA0-9D39-04CF486E77E9.jpeg

signal7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks really nice! I like the matching white paint and overflow on the back.

OP
OP
Gablami

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in January when I put down the deposit for this tank, a local Reefer was breaking down his 10 year old tank, and was selling his live rock. Checked it out - no obvious pests, just vermetid. I bought about 170 lb of his rock and kept it wet. Threw them in some bins with a heater and powerhead and left it covered. I noticed phosphates were high and I started squirting I n lanthanum chloride every few days, and once a month would do a 100% water change. Eventually phosphate got better (<0.1). Didn’t feed the rock for 5 months besides some ammonia whenever I remembered.

I then bought about 80 lb of dry Pukani, bleached, dried and rinsed. Consolidated it all into a 150g Rubbermaid. Started feeding some pellets a few weeks ago. Threw in a skimmer last night and I’m kinda surprised it’s able to make foam.

I doubt I’ll use all throck, but it’s kinda fun to have that big tub. I might keep it running after I setup the new tank.

23F0C4B4-CBDE-4B5F-B2CA-3635C8FA6760.jpeg

OP
OP
Gablami

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found yourself a remote fuge or QT or Fish jail, frag tank, lab tank

Yup! Got myself a separate little fishroom. It’s covered, but outdoors. Fortunately it doesn’t get too hot or cold here. Best part about the location is a clean out sewage drain right next to it!

BA5BD55C-696C-41FC-80A3-00B63361F124.jpeg

U

User1

View Badges
Back in January when I put down the deposit for this tank, a local Reefer was breaking down his 10 year old tank, and was selling his live rock. Checked it out - no obvious pests, just vermetid. I bought about 170 lb of his rock and kept it wet. Threw them in some bins with a heater and powerhead and left it covered. I noticed phosphates were high and I started squirting I n lanthanum chloride every few days, and once a month would do a 100% water change. Eventually phosphate got better (<0.1). Didn’t feed the rock for 5 months besides some ammonia whenever I remembered.

I then bought about 80 lb of dry Pukani, bleached, dried and rinsed. Consolidated it all into a 150g Rubbermaid. Started feeding some pellets a few weeks ago. Threw in a skimmer last night and I’m kinda surprised it’s able to make foam.

I doubt I’ll use all throck, but it’s kinda fun to have that big tub. I might keep it running after I setup the new tank.

23F0C4B4-CBDE-4B5F-B2CA-3635C8FA6760.jpeg

I'm surprised you found a source for Pukani rock. One thing to note on it is that it takes a long time to mature. I'm 2 years in and can still pick up a rock, turn it 180 degrees, and it will look brand new like I just put it in. Take another rock out, bust it in half, and again it will look like you just bleached it. Stuff takes forever to establish through every nook and crannie.

Since you are curing it in parallel maybe move the pieces around as you check in on it. It may help you get it established in shorter time.

Nice update and thread. Keep up the great work.

OP
OP
Gablami

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that tank and stand look incredible. Can’t wait to see all that rock in there.

You have to be getting excited.

Definitely getting excited. Starting to look into borrowing some suction cups from my local club. I don’t know many buff dudes (no offense friends). Strength in numbers I guess!

I'm surprised you found a source for Pukani rock. One thing to note on it is that it takes a long time to mature. I'm 2 years in and can still pick up a rock, turn it 180 degrees, and it will look brand new like I just put it in. Take another rock out, bust it in half, and again it will look like you just bleached it. Stuff takes forever to establish through every nook and crannie.

Since you are curing it in parallel maybe move the pieces around as you check in on it. It may help you get it established in shorter time.

Nice update and thread. Keep up the great work.

Thanks @saf1! It was not easy to find the Pukani. Scrounged around and probably overpaid the first 30lb. Second score was shared with a friend when a local Reefer broke down his tank. I almost got another 45lbs shipped to me, but the seller bailed because he got nervous shipping the rock. Felt the boxes would break.

It’s kind of a rush searching for gold (Pukani). Nobody else gets more excited about rock than a Reefer!

OP
OP
Gablami

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Longest wait I’ve seen! I’m excited for you! Are they shipping soon since it’s done now?
Yes, CDA said they would ship tomorrow and should arrive at local freight depot Wednesday. Then I would have to schedule the actual delivery date. I’m not a normally a patient person, but I figure I’ve waited this long. I can wait another week or two. At least that’s what I tell myself...

newjack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tick tok tick tok, I’m hearing the Jeopardy theme song playing in my head while we wait. The suspense is killing us.

OP
OP
Gablami

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get the tank yet?
No ;Bored, but that’s cause I work and can’t take delivery any old day. They don’t deliver on weekends.

So it’s scheduled to be delivered Wednesday morning. Crossing my fingers it actually happens. At this point, I trust nothing until it’s actually in my possession! Lol.

This weekend I’m going to build a ramp up to the deck (only 2 steps high). Already got the dollies ready to go.

tick tok tick tok, I’m hearing the Jeopardy theme song playing in my head while we wait. The suspense is killing us.

Speaking of...what are you doing Wednesday afternoon? Lol. I‘ll text you.

VashonBigs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome!!! I have 2 Orpheks. Want to copy your Mount but there are so many options on the aluminum. What did you choose off your link? Where did u get the mounts for the wall? I know it’s a lot to ask but do you have receipts or a specific parts list with specifics? You should box that and sell it on Amazon!!!

Thanks for asking! I’m glad there’s interest.

For people who aren’t familiar with Orphek atlantik fixtures, the fixture is held together my 8 screws with bolts at the end that you can hand tighten. These photos are from BRS:

5F617C69-BDAE-4ACB-8F28-8BC4B80B9BBE.png

AC31DF39-72C0-4ECA-9E2C-CB8D40914999.png

I just bought longer screws, and tnuts that would fit, and connected them to the 1010 aluminum extrusion. You can see in the tnut screenshot how it fits into the extrusion.

46327DEC-7B49-43C3-BCC4-53D1F59C0910.jpeg

7AAA792A-ADEE-43B9-98D8-C9D5ECAAE982.jpeg

Here’s the link to the 1010 extrusion:

Let me know if you have any other questions about how it’s put together.

OP
OP
Gablami

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome!!! I have 2 Orpheks. Want to copy your Mount but there are so many options on the aluminum. What did you choose off your link? Where did u get the mounts for the wall? I know it’s a lot to ask but do you have receipts or a specific parts list with specifics? You should box that and sell it on Amazon!!!

Thanks for the compliment! The wall mounts I bought from here:

https://www.lockandhinge.com/hafele-hebgo-folding-bench-bracket-287-47-917/

On the first page of this thread I go into detail about the mount setup. I don’t think you need to modify the mount like I did to make it work well. In fact, grinding down the steel made it less even between the two.

In terms of the brackets. All these 8020 websites are confusing because there are so many options. But that’s what makes them awesome! Like legos for adults. Here’s my order from them:

2B06A137-7451-45F2-B291-343EBFFC0AE7.jpeg

I hope this helps! If you do it, let me know how it turns out.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back