OP
Gablami

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rockwork looks great. I watched the video you linked - that's a pretty amazing reef
I know! It blew my mind when I saw it, and all subsequent times I viewed it. I tell myself that my reef would be just as awesome if I lived next to the Great Barrier Reef, but I’m just kidding myself. I’m glad you enjoyed it.

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work on getting the red dragon working and rewired!! Good thing you had the spare too! You would have one of my favourite scapes too! It's just awesome man :D

OP
OP
Gablami

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very excited. Just got some pics of my sump. It’s 48”x28”x16”. Should be shipping out this week!

It goes crash box in the back, then to fuge, then skimmer, then return.

402325BF-CB14-4E2B-A0E9-437C806A2D00.jpeg
CEFACAC4-AF32-4A98-8F5D-6C2E0F379D21.jpeg
5ECD05A5-1517-4839-A0E5-2CC3CA8FE24C.jpeg

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! Let’s jump to lighting. I’ve had experience with all LEDs (kessil) then did LED/T5 hybrid, and experimented with a 6 bulb Sunpower with reefbrites. For this build I want to go all LED. I don’t want to change bulbs, and heat is a major factor for me (I’m in California, so I’m cooling my tank with fans more often than heating it).

So for LED only, for an SPS only tank, I wanted good quality, even coverage. Initially I was convinced I would go with 10 XR15s with diffusers spaced out evenly. But the costs made me hesitant to bite the bullet. Almost more than the costs, the idea of managing all those cables and power bricks was giving me a headache.

Ultimately I decided on Orphek Atlantik v4 gen 2. For big tanks, the price per acreage just can’t be beat. I spoke with James at Orphek, and he said 3 panels for a tank oriented perpendicular would work. I decided to go with 4 panels.

For awhile i struggled with how to mount the lights. But I think I’m going with the top diagram.

AE84C66E-1A1C-4A98-A925-8654EDEF54FB.jpeg

Love my ORPHEK Atlantek GEN 2. You can always supplement with their light bars which are just as great (if not even more bang for the buck)

OP
OP
Gablami

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my ORPHEK Atlantek GEN 2. You can always supplement with their light bars which are just as great (if not even more bang for the buck)
I am already loving them. Great color, tons of power, consistent programming. It does give me some weird shimmer at the bottom of my white bare bottom, but after a day I stop noticing it.

You said it, great bang for your buck.

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am already loving them. Great color, tons of power, consistent programming. It does give me some weird shimmer at the bottom of my white bare bottom, but after a day I stop noticing it.

You said it, great bang for your buck.

Mount them a little higher. I get no disco rainbow shimmer...

Attachments

• V1.MOV
    1.4 MB

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very excited. Just got some pics of my sump. It’s 48”x28”x16”. Should be shipping out this week!

It goes crash box in the back, then to fuge, then skimmer, then return.

402325BF-CB14-4E2B-A0E9-437C806A2D00.jpeg
CEFACAC4-AF32-4A98-8F5D-6C2E0F379D21.jpeg
5ECD05A5-1517-4839-A0E5-2CC3CA8FE24C.jpeg

Is this an AA made sump? It looks very sleek! To bad sumps never stay as pristine as the first week. They are more fashionable the the glass tanks themselves.

OP
OP
Gablami

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally the yellows are in! Always wanted to have a trio of yellows. Got two new ones to go with my established one. You can tell who's who :). The new ones finished TTM and are now in the tank together. So far no fighting between all the tangs. So nice to add them all in at once, instead of having to put in mirrors and dividers, etc.

fish1-4.jpg
fish1 1.jpg

Above photos are from my dSLR. Below is from my iPhone 8. Can definitely see the difference, especially in the dynamic range.
A635FB74-80F0-45D7-93D9-F413E9004F39.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gablami

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is from AA. Once I receive it I'll post a more thorough review. I agree that custom sumps are to a good degree about looks. But for big tanks, not a lot of off-the-shelf sump options besides IceCap 48XL. This custom size uses up every inch of available space for the sump in the stand. I'll really need to squeeze it in. Maybe I'll be hating myself at that point.

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That achilles... :cool:. Will be the last fish I add. Tank looks great. You know what would really make this fish selection pop. A regal angel.

OP
OP
Gablami

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That achilles... :cool:. Will be the last fish I add. Tank looks great. You know what would really make this fish selection pop. A regal angel.
You know what? Because of your post, I checked @NYAquatic ’s site this morning and he had a 3-4” yellow belly in stock. Messaged him and within a couple minutes he sent me a video. I asked a few questions and pulled the trigger. Fish will get here tomorrow!

I should name it rds.

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you planning on doing with the Redsea tank. I see stuff in there that the Regal Angelfish will demolish. Clam, elegance, polyps, etc.

OP
OP
Gablami

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you planning on doing with the Redsea tank. I see stuff in there that the Regal Angelfish will demolish. Clam, elegance, polyps, etc.
Ah, that tank is decommissioned and all corals sold or otherwise gone. Will be moved out tomorrow to a new home.

This tank is going to be 99% acropora and 1% heteractis magnifica.

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, you got me looking at my previous tank with a trio of Regals.
Got me thinking......

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know what? Because of your post, I checked @NYAquatic ’s site this morning and he had a 3-4” yellow belly in stock. Messaged him and within a couple minutes he sent me a video. I asked a few questions and pulled the trigger. Fish will get here tomorrow!

I should name it rds.

Now that is what I am talking about!! Such a good looking fish. Does he QT? or you going to QT him yourself. I think I am just as excited HA!
I am on board with the name.

Send a photo when he gets in or at least within a few days.

OP
OP
Gablami

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that is what I am talking about!! Such a good looking fish. Does he QT? or you going to QT him yourself. I think I am just as excited HA!
I am on board with the name.

Send a photo when he gets in or at least within a few days.
Michael said he had him for 3 weeks and is eating frozen brine. I’ll QT for sure for awhile to get him ready for gen pop. Nice to have that big 150g Rubbermaid now :).

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Michael said he had him for 3 weeks and is eating frozen brine. I’ll QT for sure for awhile to get him ready for gen pop. Nice to have that big 150g Rubbermaid now :).

Nice! I mean there is a reason they are called tang gang
Well at that rate might as well get a few fancy fish to make the QT run even more worth it!

OP
OP
Gablami

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I mean there is a reason they are called tang gang
Well at that rate might as well get a few fancy fish to make the QT run even more worth it!
Good point. But I already feel like I’m pushing my luck a bit going for a big angel this early. I think I’ll stop here for now. Maybe add a few Chromis later.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 76 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 76 51.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 32 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.1%
Back