OP
Gablami

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad the Achilles is looking better and relieved that it wasn't one of the potters in the pump.
I am taking notes for my Rubbermaid for when it's observation time. You had a spare skimmer? or is that the one for your new tank, it looks pretty fresh!
What have you been working on for the DT?
I kept my skimmer from my older tank as a spare. Trying to skim as wet as I can. It’s a newly cycled system so being cautious as to how much food I’m putting in. I just added a few shrimp and 4 pretty cool urchins in the main tank. Hair algae is getting pretty funky in there. @rds did you ever have an ugly phase? All the photos look pretty pristine.

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept my skimmer from my older tank as a spare. Trying to skim as wet as I can. It’s a newly cycled system so being cautious as to how much food I’m putting in. I just added a few shrimp and 4 pretty cool urchins in the main tank. Hair algae is getting pretty funky in there. @rds did you ever have an ugly phase? All the photos look pretty pristine.
What kind of urchins, blue tuxedo?
I am freaking out over a small patch of gha and brown sand...kinda why uv daydreaming. Any pics of your gha?
Your right, I don't think @rds85 's tank had an ugly phase.

OP
OP
Gablami

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your fish! :(

Instead of putting the nori in the clip, rubber-band it in a piece of live rock. That’s how I trained mine (when I used to have one many years ago) to eat the nori, and I soaked the nori in garlic, selcon, and other vitamins for a couple of hours.
I was skeptical but I rubberbanded nori to a rock and placed it in his pacing path (he’s been swimming nonstop on this track around the tub), and after a few minutes, to my amazement, I saw him take a few bites, and then come back and have more. Hallelujah! Thanks for the tip!!

OP
OP
Gablami

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of urchins, blue tuxedo?
I am freaking out over a small patch of gha and brown sand...kinda why uv daydreaming. Any pics of your gha?
Your right, I don't think @rds85 's tank had an ugly phase.
I have one blue tuxedo urchin and a purple short spine urchin. The other two I don’t know what they are but one of my LFS had them in. The red one he called a “radiator urchin” but I can find no reference on the internet to it. It’s got these really cool bright blue lines on it that show up as reflective white on the photos. The other one is also a mystery to me. If anyone can shed some light on it, that would be great.

890CDD0B-F820-44E8-AF08-F689C3A46FEF.jpeg
49AB68BA-C953-43AF-B306-FBB1A17D1877.jpeg
4B7631EC-2569-4DF0-9860-C6BE30B74036.jpeg
C76459CA-3DB2-439E-99DE-9F3EEDAA8F54.jpeg
F725AD62-AAC2-47CC-9551-2126DD45F34D.jpeg

oh yeah, also got my first starfish. Lets see how that goes. I think it’s called a marbled starfish?

Shaka_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was skeptical but I rubberbanded nori to a rock and placed it in his pacing path (he’s been swimming nonstop on this track around the tub), and after a few minutes, to my amazement, I saw him take a few bites, and then come back and have more. Hallelujah! Thanks for the tip!!
So glad to hear this!!! I also put NLS pellets inside the nori and he eventually started eating pellets! You should try this next!

OP
OP
Gablami

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So glad to hear this!!! I also put NLS pellets inside the nori and he eventually started eating pellets! You should try this next!
I was thinking of putting some frozen foods inside a wrap of nori. Like a delicious crepe with a surprise inside! Hope my fish don’t get spoiled by this cause I’m definitely not doing this long term!

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I did have a very small ugly stage. It was the smallest ugly stage I have ever had. I was supplementing with bacteria 4 times a week until about one month ago. Fuge went online within 2 weeks of the tank running. I do not have much of a clean up crew still. So no idea why it was really this small. I vacuum sections of sand every 2 weeks. I am waiting for something to take hold of the system.
@Wen Luck??

OP
OP
Gablami

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha. I was just about to post an update...which is basically, there is no news.

Tank is fallow. There’s a bunch of treated healthy fish in my 150gallon Rubbermaid swimming around. Achilles is healthy (Thank God!). And I have a few new fish in a 40breeder that I’m getting ready to treat.

New fish are a yellow tang, a white tail bristletooth tooth, 4 dispar anthias, and 2 bimac anthias. I’ve put converted black mollies into both the holding Rubbermaid and the 40breeder last Saturday and they both still look pristine. But I’ll probably still treat the new fish with a couple weeks of copper.

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha. I was just about to post an update...which is basically, there is no news.

Tank is fallow. There’s a bunch of treated healthy fish in my 150gallon Rubbermaid swimming around. Achilles is healthy (Thank God!). And I have a few new fish in a 40breeder that I’m getting ready to treat.

New fish are a yellow tang, a white tail bristletooth tooth, 4 dispar anthias, and 2 bimac anthias. I’ve put converted black mollies into both the holding Rubbermaid and the 40breeder last Saturday and they both still look pristine. But I’ll probably still treat the new fish with a couple weeks of copper.

Still is a good update when it comes to QT. I must have missed it.. but I didn't see regal angel in there. Must have been a typo.

OP
OP
Gablami

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ranco Temp Controller

I love these things. I just bought my third one and wired it this morning. Rancos are recommended frequently on thus forum, but it can take a little DIY to set it up (unless you buy them prewired for more money). post helps demystify it a bit.

There are single stage a dual stage controllers. Dual stage allows you to control two outlets separately, to have two heating/cooling outlets, or have one each. I am a fan of the dual stage because it’s nice to be able to have one heater turn on with a second heater as backup if the temp continues to drop. OR it’s great for having a fan on a cooling outlet.

There are two different enclosures. NEMA-1 and NEMA-4. The two prior rancos I had were both NEMA4 which is considered more weather proof. The enclosed is almost the same, just that the nema 1 has screw slots in the back for mounting, while the nema 4 has corner tabs to screw in. I think you can definitely go with nema-1 for reefing (cheaper).

I bought this one at SupplyHouse.com for $103.

To wire the Ranco you’ll need:

2F7693B4-C129-43DB-BE7D-08B7F86FE6E4.jpeg

The bag in middle is two 6 ft 16g wires from Amazon. You also need a small flathead screwdriver (not pictured). The Swiss Army knife is not needed...I used a razor blade to help strip the wires instead.

890B8D57-D164-42E5-8B7A-F06DE11591BE.jpeg

Mark which outlet is #1 and #2:
B00195F9-2CB5-4797-BD0F-177BF8C1BCAF.jpeg

Then open it up and start wiring. I will link to the instructions I used for wiring. I could not do a better job than this:

Then close up the enclosure.
3266251D-C7EA-4E45-AA60-BE7BA5EEC33D.jpeg

People use lots of different methods to protect the temp probe. I’ve heard of people using plastidip. I use a thermal well shrink wrap tubing sold on the rancoetc site.

Before heat:
CFC1D768-E796-43E6-BE56-EF139DC9F108.jpeg

After heat:
9444121C-A5A5-40BB-ADD7-83794C6763B3.jpeg

then I use some superglue to seal up the edges and the top just in case.

All done. Took me about 45 minutes start to finish. Now I have one on my main tank, one of the Rubbermaid holding tank, and this one will go in my treatment tank.

OP
OP
Gablami

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still is a good update when it comes to QT. I must have missed it.. but I didn't see regal angel in there. Must have been a typo.
Haha. I’ve had too much fish drama the last month. Just want things to go smoothly until fish go back into the tank. Adding a regal to that would cause me to go a little nuts!

OP
OP
Gablami

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If my math is correct... This weekend should be a good update!?
Sorry for the lack of updates! When you go into a fallow period, it kind-of feels like a pause in reefing. I do have some updates though.

About 3 weeks ago I purchased a green-tipped magnifica from a local reefer. He bought it from a LFS and treated it with 7 days of cipro, and then transferred it into his display. It was wandering all over the place looking for better light, and the reefer decided to sell it.

When I went to look at it, the base was purple, the tips were yellow, but the rest of the nem was bleached. However, it did look otherwise healthy, and I decided to go for it. I had previously prepared a spot for it on one of my tall rock formations. I used some reef cement to form a smooth base for its foot to attach. So far though, it seems pretty content to attach on the side on the rock and not go all the way up. I'm optimistic that it will eventually, given time.

3F6837CD-2849-471B-B2C7-8FCC02E2DE7A.jpeg

This is a photo of within the first hour of being in my tank. His mouth looks pretty horrible. But since then it has improved.

E43A86D0-9731-42CD-B790-369485F0101F.jpeg
The mouth is still not closed but the nem is almost always extended and inflated. I've asked some experts, and they have told me not to worry too much about the mouth if it otherwise looks healthy. Now, during the day when he is totally extended, he's probably 16+ inches across. Don't see any return of color to the bleached part yet, but I am feeding it mysis every other day.

9063ACFF-9CE2-4208-B091-DFE7BDB72D52.jpeg

@rds85 dropped some knowledge on me that ocellaris clowns were more well-behaved and handled multiples better than Percula. I did my own research and seems like it’s the case. I had previously only seen one clown pair per nem, but I’ve now learned that many clowns can be hosted by one magnifica in the wild.

One of my local LFS had a bunch of wild caught ocellaris, and I bought 4. They are currently in treatment. I like the idea of wild caught fish. I feel like all the in-breeding has made designer clowns stupid and shortened their life span. That’s just a theory of mine, not supported by any real evidence.

OP
OP
Gablami

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now about fish.

The old standard for ich fallow period was 76 days, set in stone by humblefish himself.

He has advocated for a new fallow period of 6 weeks as long as tank temp is >80.6F and no “anoxic” zones. I haven’t seen any reports of failure from this, but this recommendation hasn’t been around for that long. So I think I’m going to aim for about 8 weeks fallow before putting fish back in.

Now, to be fully transparent about what’s going on, I started copper treatment on my fish one more time before going into the DT. After treating my first batch of fish, I bought some new additions thinking I would treat them and add them to the tank all at the same time. But given the deaths that I had initially with copper, I decided to add 6 black mollies to the tank to observe and see if I even needed to treat. I inspected them every day for 2 weeks and didn’t see one spot. I felt confident enough to transfer the new fish with my previously treated fish in the 150 gal rubbermaid.

Big mistake. Another example of me thinking I know it all, and cutting corners. I had left the mollies in the 40breeder and two days after transferring the fish, I turned on the light to the mollies tank, and the mollies were COVERED in ich. Like it wasn’t a few spots. It was like a nightmare. This photo doesn’t do it justice how apparent ich is on a newly converted molly.
078F4D40-E53E-4707-9370-011D6C248326.jpeg

So that left me feeling pretty crappy. I stared at my Achilles for a long time with an underwater viewer and he still looked spotless, but I knew that there was a decent chance ich was now in the holding tank.

So I bit the bullet and decided to treat again.

The good news is, that this time around has been MUCH better than the first time. Most importantly, all the fish were healthy and eating in the Rubbermaid tank for several weeks. They were used to the tank, and it had a robust biological filtration built up. Secondly, I used copper power instead of cupramine.

I did dose directly into the holding tank with about 100lb of live rock. There is a lot of absorption of copper and I was testing three times a day, and pumping copper into the system. But it’s now super stable at 2.25, all fish are still eating well, and I’m about 1 week in at therapeutic. I have had no issues with ammonia and copper given the live rock.

So I learned a number of lessons through this. I think that I like copper power over cupramine. I think rushing to get your copper therapeutic right when you put your fish in the tank is going to increase fatality rates. And 2 weeks is not enough time for a molly assisted QT.

Shaka_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hang in there man! I am also dealing with ich right now and chose to do the hypo treatment route in the display and so far so good! All tangs are ich-free except the powderblue but she’s getting better daily.

TexAgReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now about fish.

The old standard for ich fallow period was 76 days, set in stone by humblefish himself.

He has advocated for a new fallow period of 6 weeks as long as tank temp is >80.6F and no “anoxic” zones. I haven’t seen any reports of failure from this, but this recommendation hasn’t been around for that long. So I think I’m going to aim for about 8 weeks fallow before putting fish back in.

Now, to be fully transparent about what’s going on, I started copper treatment on my fish one more time before going into the DT. After treating my first batch of fish, I bought some new additions thinking I would treat them and add them to the tank all at the same time. But given the deaths that I had initially with copper, I decided to add 6 black mollies to the tank to observe and see if I even needed to treat. I inspected them every day for 2 weeks and didn’t see one spot. I felt confident enough to transfer the new fish with my previously treated fish in the 150 gal rubbermaid.

Big mistake. Another example of me thinking I know it all, and cutting corners. I had left the mollies in the 40breeder and two days after transferring the fish, I turned on the light to the mollies tank, and the mollies were COVERED in ich. Like it wasn’t a few spots. It was like a nightmare. This photo doesn’t do it justice how apparent ich is on a newly converted molly.
078F4D40-E53E-4707-9370-011D6C248326.jpeg

So that left me feeling pretty crappy. I stared at my Achilles for a long time with an underwater viewer and he still looked spotless, but I knew that there was a decent chance ich was now in the holding tank.

So I bit the bullet and decided to treat again.

The good news is, that this time around has been MUCH better than the first time. Most importantly, all the fish were healthy and eating in the Rubbermaid tank for several weeks. They were used to the tank, and it had a robust biological filtration built up. Secondly, I used copper power instead of cupramine.

I did dose directly into the holding tank with about 100lb of live rock. There is a lot of absorption of copper and I was testing three times a day, and pumping copper into the system. But it’s now super stable at 2.25, all fish are still eating well, and I’m about 1 week in at therapeutic. I have had no issues with ammonia and copper given the live rock.

So I learned a number of lessons through this. I think that I like copper power over cupramine. I think rushing to get your copper therapeutic right when you put your fish in the tank is going to increase fatality rates. And 2 weeks is not enough time for a molly assisted QT.
If you don't mind me asking, did you just temp acclimate the mollies before putting them in the tank?

OP
OP
Gablami

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't mind me asking, did you just temp acclimate the mollies before putting them in the tank?
No, you’ll have a high death rate doing that (I’ve tried). In the past I went to 6 hour acclimation to salt at 50% died. This time I took about 36 hours and they all survived. Just used a heater and a bubbler in a bucket.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back