Gall crab in my trachy? Friend or foe?

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So one of the reasons I love/hate this hobby is unexpected surprises. I recently picked up my first trachyphyllia and when I put it in QT I noticed an odd sight, it looked like something was living inside a small hole! This coral did a 10 minute dip in CoralRx earlier that day so whatever it is survived that.

I was able to get some video and I think it's a gall crab.. maybe. Bear in mind this coral is 3-4 inches across, which means the hole this crab is in is about the size of a pencil eraser. Can anyone comment on what it is? Also if it's not hurting the coral I'd prefer not to kill it, does it pose any danger?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i just pulled this up,nice trachy.. :)
Gall crabs are coral-dwelling crabs that spend their entire life living inside a hole of the hard coral. These micro crabs are only 7mm-10mm in size. They are hard to find and photograph due to their small size. These tiny crabs are considered to be safe keepers or guardians of the hard coral.
it was on the internet ,gotta be true...:D

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back