Gallow3’s first saltwater tank - IM Nuvo 10 AIO

gallow3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After about three years of a freshwater tank, and a year and a half of reading in this forum and others, I finally bought my first saltwater setup today. I have been talking to guys at my LFS for a couple weeks as I got more serious. Wanting to start slow, I wanted to go as small as I could and still maintain levels. They suggested this setup. Because of supply chain issues they haven’t been able to get it new, but they called me when they got in a used setup. Tank has been under their care for a while and they sold me a full package. It seems like I have already found some hitchhikers after about three hours! Need to work on the scape some. Got everything home and pump wasn’t running well. LFS was great and gave me a new (and upgraded!) one. So that messed with me being able to aquascape tonight like I wanted.

Equipment:
Innovative Marine Nuvo 10 gallon
Kessil a80
Aquatop htg 50 heater
Upgraded spin stream output
Upgraded pump (need to get model)
ATO thru a liter bottle setup (7/10 update)
Homemade Lexan lid and clips (In Process)

Filtration:
Compartment 1 - filter floss
Compartment 2 - heater, bio balls, packet, chemipur bag
Compartment 3 - Return pump

Livestock:
1 Mexican turbo
4 Trochus (7/15)
4 small hermits
3 brittle starfish (hitchhikers)
2 asterina starfish (hitchhikers)
1 clowns (orange)
2 mocha clowns (RIP) :(
Majano Anemone

Brand new to this hobby- I read a lot, but I would love thoughts from those who have done this for a while!

08376E7F-9553-4A06-84C5-8CAA25263791.jpeg 1D9497C8-221C-4BB4-BC22-B099E2B349E1.jpeg 6EEC61F2-5E73-4B26-BFCB-8C90744F22E6.jpeg 0805B6F5-870F-487B-9C7E-BB3F7A84FF75.jpeg

Last edited:

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For now you can get away with this, but later you need to add an ATO (Auto Top Off) for the tank if it does not already have one. You really need to keep on top of the water level. The secret to a Nano tank is very strong stability, and attention to maintaining that water level. Water level stability also helps with other parameter stability in your tank. One other thing we all have to learn, some quicker than others, is to learn how to Hurry Up and Wait. Make one change at a time, slowly, and wait sometime to see what happens before making another change.

This is going to be exciting, frustrating maybe, but we are all here for you. Congrats.

Seffner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are off to a good start! All the research in the world won't help you know what you can do until you actually start to the work! Bryn is right about being patient (it's tough and most of us still fall for an impulse purchase or something every once in a while)! I look forward to watching your tank progress.

OP
OP
gallow3

gallow3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For now you can get away with this, but later you need to add an ATO (Auto Top Off) for the tank if it does not already have one. You really need to keep on top of the water level. The secret to a Nano tank is very strong stability, and attention to maintaining that water level. Water level stability also helps with other parameter stability in your tank. One other thing we all have to learn, some quicker than others, is to learn how to Hurry Up and Wait. Make one change at a time, slowly, and wait sometime to see what happens before making another change.

This is going to be exciting, frustrating maybe, but we are all here for you. Congrats.
Thanks Bryn - been thinking a lot about ATO, this is going to be my weekend project I believe. When I was in college, and had a small freshwater tank, I created one from a water bottle and some tubing. Its not pretty, but effective, and last about a week and a half on a 5 gallon tank. Going to try it again until i have some extra money to invest in a better system!

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Bryn - been thinking a lot about ATO, this is going to be my weekend project I believe. When I was in college, and had a small freshwater tank, I created one from a water bottle and some tubing. Its not pretty, but effective, and last about a week and a half on a 5 gallon tank. Going to try it again until i have some extra money to invest in a better system!

I posted a thread about what equipment reefers wished they had bought when they started, and ATO seemed to be at the top. But they are really expensive, so good idea about the bottle, especially cheap and effective.

Here is the link if you have not seen it.

OP
OP
gallow3

gallow3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got water tests in from Amazon today - API saltwater and reef kits. First parameters since bringing the tank home....

PH: 8
Nitrate / Nitrite: 0
Ammonia: .5-1 !!!!! - got this checked a few different ways at LFS. They say ammonia is there but it’s not unsafe type - both are apparently picked up in my api test

Panicking a little about ammonia, although it doesn't appear any of the inhabitants are showing signs of high ammonia levels. Concerned I may have gotten flawed tests? Since this is my first time with salt it could also be human error (me)? Taking a sample to LFS for a second review right after work.

Few other observations:
  • Found another inhabitant today - asterina starfish - very small but found it in pump area. Seems based on my reading it isn't a concern until it starts eating your corals. I'll leave it be for a while unless folks have other comments
  • I think I have a dead snail. Hasn't moved since I brought it home - and saw a hermit messing with him yesterday. With such a small tank, I'm thinking of taking it out - maybe causing ammonia spike?
  • To this point I'm a little shocked about how much water is evaporating. Going to monitor but it looks like I lost 12 oz over a day? Seems very high compared to what I'm used to with freshwater. No sign of leaks or pump shooting it out of the tank.

60FB6F4D-593D-4160-B687-9811BCAC394C.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
gallow3

gallow3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good, only suggestion (and this is just me) would be get the rocks off the glass. Makes it annoying to clean.
Love the feedback and it makes a lot of sense. A newbie like me appreciates the input! I made some changes yesterday. This will be freestanding with enough room to go around the back to clean and doesn’t touch sides. Haven’t glued together yet tho.

5C233BA0-5EC9-4E47-9771-B27872DA9DB5.jpeg

OP
OP
gallow3

gallow3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a while since I posted! Things have definitely been interesting so far. Bad news first- I lost two mocha clowns. They were eating and doing fine, and after two weeks in the tank each, the mocha guys would turn lethargic and eventually lay down on the sandbed. Really in the matter of hours. LFS guys think maybe bullying. Hard to say haven’t seen evidence of it.

Added a few more snails. And have gone thru some ugly tank stuff. Brown / red algae, and now experiencing neon green algae. Lots of micro spots on the glass.

Doing a 10% water change every two weeks and Params have stayed Really consistent post my first week freak out.

lighting schedule has been 20% white, 80% blue, full intensity for about 11 hours.

clown is growing a lot, and majano anemone is too. Asterina looks to have split, and brittles are growing. Been feeding alternating days of frozen mysis And prime reef flakes. Everyone seems to love both.

created my ATO using liter bottles. I go thru about a liter every other day, with no lid. Bought some lid clips and getting some Lexington this weekend to try out a lid.

post the mocha clown experience, thinking about switching livestock plan on going for some gobies and shrimps, don’t think they would get bullied. With consistent params, thinking about starting with some cheap small corals too!

5B176AF5-AC53-40D0-A5F2-77B73872F1CB.jpeg 218923D9-D186-4064-82F2-9BD118439DD2.jpeg E0A44631-DB77-4D79-B576-AEE5261A01B3.jpeg 4C07A152-68A3-4425-B1A9-147EB5F9935B.jpeg F0D42FE6-0C2F-46EA-B9B0-137F50F342C1.jpeg

OP
OP
gallow3

gallow3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted a thread about what equipment reefers wished they had bought when they started, and ATO seemed to be at the top. But they are really expensive, so good idea about the bottle, especially cheap and effective.

Here is the link if you have not seen it.

Took some time and read thru this, good thread. I didn't want to skimp on starting so i feel good about equipment so far. Little ATO mechanism was a really good call, and has definitely made it more enjoyable. I feel up a 5 -1 liter bottles and it last me about 10 days, so i replace them every other day. much better than constantly dipping from 5 gallon bucket.

OP
OP
gallow3

gallow3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a fun week!

Added a lid I built using some Lexan, and a few clips from Amazon. Two days in and it feels like a good move. Much less temp variation, it was around 1.5 degrees and that felt risky. Seeing about .2 degrees last two days. Much better. Also retaining condensation. I”ll update next week but I think I’ll Be able to reduce ATO significantly. Main benefit was to get a new tank mate for my clown. Yellow watchman goby. He likes to jump I can already tell. He’s eating good, and a lot of fun to watch.

added my first corals too! Zoas I found on sale. One concern. I thought and the LFS told me the zoas were on a pebble. After getting closer look myself on introducing to tank, looks like a sponge.... love your thoughts on this. Look like about 20 tiny polyps. About 6 have opened so far.

AD49EC38-4C3E-4572-984C-D80E4AF86E4B.jpeg 8B04F9E7-2AB9-43FD-9BBE-C357F9E86CB8.jpeg E17760D0-C313-4840-831B-330BFFF16DDD.jpeg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Keep it up!!!

OP
OP
gallow3

gallow3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great, I'm thinking of buying one of these tanks so will follow along
First Saltwater tank, loving the AIO. i have done freshwater for years, but the idea of a full sump scared me off. so happy with the 10 so far. The shape / dimensions makes it very easy to get around the tank. Lid of some type has been best upgrade so far (only a week in). Saving me so much RODI and temp consistency.

saw your thread on the switch - dont think i am one to give advice on it, but the a80 seems to give plenty for zoas on the bottom and more advanced stuff towards the top based on what i have seen on other threads. i was on the fence about not enough light but i think it is more the sufficient.

DarylRib

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First Saltwater tank, loving the AIO. i have done freshwater for years, but the idea of a full sump scared me off. so happy with the 10 so far. The shape / dimensions makes it very easy to get around the tank. Lid of some type has been best upgrade so far (only a week in). Saving me so much RODI and temp consistency.

saw your thread on the switch - dont think i am one to give advice on it, but the a80 seems to give plenty for zoas on the bottom and more advanced stuff towards the top based on what i have seen on other threads. i was on the fence about not enough light but i think it is more the sufficient.
I had the a 80 when I started , it's a great light and the kessil shimmer is un matched ......the a 80 wish perfect for keeping zoas......if you wanna try your hand with some sps , I would suggest you go with the ai prime hd .....I upgraded to that light and it really does wonders for the corals in both growth and color

OP
OP
gallow3

gallow3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update time!

Been a little busy, my freshwater tank is having some issues so have been hard at work getting that corrected. Couple purchases last week - tiger pistol shrimp and a frag of gsp.
Pistol and YWG paired up immediately and began their work. So far they have take up residence under my island rock in the middle, which is nice because it’s a visible area. Glad I went with the pairing, they really are fun to watch.
GSP was a piece a LFS had in their display tank and fragged for me. Lot of stress on it with fragging and new tank. Been 4 days and haven’t seen it come out of hiding yet. Starting to get a little concerned, but will be patient. Had them water test day of buying and all was well.
I had my first fragging experience. I separated the zoas from the sponge, and both seem to be doing well! I count around 20 heads opening on the zoa! Not bad for a $10 frag! Need to find them a home somewhere other than sand but haven’t committed yet.

Open question To those following... glue disks to live rock or put zoas straight on rock, what’s your preference???

Rocks are deep neon green. Think it’s just the uglies?

6DAA3E8A-0B49-4EF7-81CD-7EDDD7952086.jpeg 48D0294E-EB51-47B2-90DF-6855421B0FDE.jpeg AC8F3928-DC12-4CF6-9D5A-B81DDF38EE56.jpeg 979F57F2-4DD3-429D-8D76-207FFF9B2758.jpeg 6736E38C-92D1-46E5-B1B1-14D7A3D4C611.jpeg 99A3C68E-F0E6-49B3-BC98-857899CB65A0.jpeg 43576397-ED86-46DD-B32A-AE0E9C7222EF.jpeg

OP
OP
gallow3

gallow3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have really been getting the coral bug!

found some cool zoas and paly’s last week. One set I picked and one set for fiancé to keep her interested. Bought them on plugs, let them settle, and got them on live rock. This is my first experience going from plug to rock using super glue. I’ll admit, I bit off more than I could chew and have had to Reggie a couple times since the first day. Learning point. Maybe don’t try fragging and gluing all three for the first time on the same day

270CF667-53EF-45CE-BB51-8A283F29972B.jpeg A562332E-8160-4044-92E6-26546B7DC86A.jpeg 24EE1C2A-D251-4DFA-93DB-60CF6AB966B4.jpeg 32FD4F7D-82D5-47BA-8A8A-B491D77E7E7F.jpeg

OP
OP
gallow3

gallow3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today local store had by two get one sale!
Got a blasto, candy cane and Favia!

I have been noticing elevated alkalinity and calcium over the past couple weeks. I thought this might be a good chance to get some stuff that can utilize that.

All other numbers seem ideal. Bought some reefroids online. Plan to start using that once a week starting this weekend. Been reading on amino acids too. Would love input from experienced folks!

EAE61467-226E-4C43-B384-F1F1E1F30BD7.jpeg 3A325B68-B3AF-4A8D-8A94-31D0DCB25C11.jpeg

Back