Gap in outside seam of aquarium

rwarzek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed a gap in the silicone on the outside seam of a new 90 gallon aquarium. It is about a cm long and not very deep but is concerning to me. Is something to be worried about especially long term? The inside seam looks good, the tank is new and has not been filled.

OP
OP
R

rwarzek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some photos

Attachments

• BFE246B1-C1CF-4F51-A25C-E6BAC7CC3A95.jpeg
    BFE246B1-C1CF-4F51-A25C-E6BAC7CC3A95.jpeg
    72 KB · Views: 216
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 211
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 203

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the silicone is sperated, meaning water can get through. Get a replacement. But it looks like it is sealed from what I can see. If you want peace of mind try putting some silicone in a syringe, making sure needle end is wide enough but not too wide so you can still fit it in the gap. Then fill it in.

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stop there, the seam is fine but deep tanks make terrible reefs. I have a 30" deep and its a pain not being able to reach the bottom. IF jts fish only so be it

Celestion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's a new tank , it's half way up , two biggies working in your favor, it's a deep tank,. Fill it to 20inches and go ..lol

Akamelborne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed a gap in the silicone on the outside seam of a new 90 gallon aquarium. It is about a cm long and not very deep but is concerning to me. Is something to be worried about especially long term? The inside seam looks good, the tank is new and has not been filled.
Did you ever get this sorted out? I've got a tank doing something similar.

OP
OP
R

rwarzek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses, I was told by seapora that the important thing is that the inside seal is water tight and a friend of mine that does custom aquariums told me that he’s seen much worse. I filled the tank and it’s been running this whole time but there are a few spots on that same side that seem to have developed gaps as well, I’m unsure what could be causing this.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 59 85.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back