Garlic... not a debate, but a hunt for info.

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really do appreciate yall's opinions and information. It can be a hot topic, which makes it so difficult to discuss and find roots. I'm sure people get a little irritated when I poke at their references sometimes, but it's just because I'm trying to get to the bottom of it.

So, as I sit here and look at 100 articles studies concerning garlic and 99 say it has beneficial properties and perhaps 1 that says it has negative properties, what am I to think....... my world is all about research-based practice, so I can't pretend to not notice the disjunct between the idea and supportive data.

ReefFrenzy

Shrimp Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post the 99 studies showing garlic offers benefits as an additive in a marine diet? Please provide the links to 99 articles showing garlic offers a benefit for marine ornamental fish and I may rethink my position.

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL! I wasn't being literal.

Remember I'm not saying there's enough information out there for you to want to add it, that's not my quest with this thread. I'm looking for the data that supports the claims that it is bad for fish in supplemental doses. Like, if it's "bad" for the liver and heart, where is the research that supports that? Those are very specific claims.

I am NOT a garlic user. :)

One thing they may be of interest to you, Larry, is not what garlic can or cannot do for/to your fish, but what it can mean for dead fish. It seems it makes for a good retardant against lipid oxidation.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify for anyone who has some stuff, I'm looking for marine, freshwater and all in between.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for research articles that support the claim that garlic is harmful in supplemental doses. If you have the actual article to share THAT would be fantastic. If you just have the title, please still share, as I can probably still find the original piece.

It doesn't make a difference if it's saltwater focused or not. Studies with freshwater or brackish fish are also awesome.

PLEASE, if you have anything, please share!!

Are people really making that claim? If they are, have you asked them to support it?

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing they may be of interest to you, Larry, is not what garlic can or cannot do for/to your fish, but what it can mean for dead fish. It seems it makes for a good retardant against lipid oxidation.

Can you explain what this means?
Thanks!

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you can make more sense of the study in my second post. It does seem to show some harmful impacts when fed high (2%+) concentrations of garlic. Unfortunately, much of it is alphabet soup to me.

This is going to be the main factor I think. System design will dictate the inter study relations. What really needs to be dissected is the dosing strategy then they can be compared for benefits and risks. That study didn't even consider lower doses like the previous posted at 0.5, 1, ... %. Most organica are biologically active at very low doses. When you over saturate their specific actions are often masked by off-target interactions. In this case what we would simply call abothet avoidable reef disaster lol.

Undeniably people are using garlic supplements with success so there's always more to the the story.

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does success mean in this case? Is that success different from not using garlic?

Touché.

Success broadly is not killing everything...so I suppose without measurable detriment might be a better way to put it.

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you explain what this means?
Thanks!

It's basically being used a preservative to reduce the spoilage of food fish.

Are people really making that claim? If they are, have you asked them to support it?

Yes and yes. :) (it's usually that point where peeps start to get ticked with me)

Last edited:

Edward Kowalski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Garlic has been shown to increase body condition and resistance to some bacterial infections/challenges.

See for example
Aly, Salah Mesalhy, NASHWA MAHMOUD ABDEL Atti, and Mohamed Fathi Mohamed. "Effect of garlic on the survival, growth, resistance and quality of Oreochromis niloticus." International Symposium on Tilapia in Aquaculture. Vol. 2008. 2008.

https://cals.arizona.edu/azaqua/ista/ISTA8/FinalPapers/Growth pdf/22 salah Meselhy.pdf

Nya, Elijah Jacob, Zahra Dawood, and Brian Austin. "The garlic component, allicin, prevents disease caused by Aeromonas hydrophila in rainbow trout, Oncorhynchus mykiss (Walbaum)." Journal of fish diseases 33.4 (2010): 293-300.

Newaj‐Fyzul, A., and B. Austin. "Probiotics, immunostimulants, plant products and oral vaccines, and their role as feed supplements in the control of bacterial fish diseases." Journal of fish diseases 38.11 (2015): 937-955.
https://www.researchgate.net/profil...h_diseases/links/56b6054308aebbde1a79c016.pdf

Dawood, Mahmoud AO, et al. "Effects of using exogenous digestive enzymes or natural enhancer mixture on growth, feed utilization, and body composition of rabbitfish, Siganus rivulatus." Journal of Agricultural Science and Technology. B 4.3B (2014).
http://www.davidpublishing.com/davidpublishing/Upfile/6/2/2014/2014060269464753.pdf

Guo, J. J., et al. "The effects of garlic-supplemented diets on antibacterial activity against Streptococcus iniae and on growth in orange-spotted grouper, Epinephelus coioides." Aquaculture 364 (2012): 33-38.

Aly, S. M., and M. F. Mohamed. "Echinacea purpurea and Allium sativum as immunostimulants in fish culture using Nile tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus)." Journal of Animal Physiology and Animal Nutrition 94.5 (2010): e31-e39.

İrkin, Latife C., and Murat Yiğit. "The use of garlic (Allium sativum) meal as a natural feed supplement in diets for European seabass (Dicentrarchus labrax) juveniles." J. Aqua. Engg 2 (2016): 128-141.

Breyer, Kate E., et al. "Efficacy of an extract from garlic, Allium sativum, against infection with the furunculosis bacterium, Aeromonas salmonicida, in rainbow trout, Oncorhynchus mykiss." Journal of the World Aquaculture Society 46.3 (2015): 273-282.

Elias, Nashwa S., and Nadia A. Abd El Ghany. "Monitoring the Effect of Garlic (Allium sativum) and Black Seed (Nigella sativa) on Fusarium moniliform Infection in Fish with Emphasis on Fecundity." (2008)

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the studies I did with feeding garlic soaked food ended the same, my fish simply did not communicate when feeding. After I stopped they were all back at the heaters talking all day not cleaning algae like they were hired for.

I hope that helps! I will follow for real knowledge :)

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much for contributing. I really do appreciate the time and effort.

If you run across studies that speak to the negative aspects of garlic supplementation, please don't hesitate to share. Those are the ones I'm really digging for. It's those I have not found in my travels.

burk986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I add garlic to my frozen brine shrimp every once in a while. I have noticed if I add 2 drops to the cube, the fish find it too strong and won't eat as much. I add 1 drop and it seems they eat it as if I never added any. I can't tell any difference in if they are benefitting from the drops or not.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is also good for repelling a dracula goby. I made a little necklace for my clown and mandarin to wear. It works! No Dracula gobies in my tank so far.

IMG_20170404_225333.jpg

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did a search if you have not read through these before link

edosan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Garlic is good to keep vampires out of the tank! (works perfect, I have try it! jaja)
And after salt, Garlic is my second best human food aditive!
I do not use it.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back