Garlic... not a debate, but a hunt for info.

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I know that one well.... unfortunately.

There are no sides to be had in this thread, though! We're just passing around some papers. :)

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I know that one well.... unfortunately.

There are no sides to be had in this thread, though! We're just passing around some papers. :)
(I know you know about it, but I'm not sure some skeptical in this thread do) ;)
And agree! :)

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(I know you know about it, but I'm not sure some skeptical in this thread do)

neo.gif

LOL!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Neptune1707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting conversation. I have been using Kent's Garlic Extreme for awhile. Fish all seem very healthy and no side effects from what I can see. So yes...the Million Dollar question, would they be just as healthy without it. It has been proven that garlic is very beneficial to humans. So does this same logical therefore apply to fish? I'm no marine biologist, but I do know that a fish's anatomy and digestive system is much simpler. So how exactly is the garlic being absorbed and used if at all. For the same reason we are not suppose to feed table scraps to furry 4 legged friends, their stomachs can't handle the things we eat so they get simplified food...kibble, that digest easier. As far as an attractant, I would like to mention that I have been a fisherman for many years and I when I was a kid, "smell attractants" (not sure what the chemical attractants were) were used on artificial bait to get a reaction out of fish. This method has for sure been proven and many pro bass fisherman use "scents" to attract a fish to "eat" or "bite" the lure. So with that logic if you have a finicky eater and the garlic entices the fish, I'd say it's worth the cost of the product. If there are no long term health issues, I say continue using...just my 2 sense worth. :) Good luck on your research, report what you find out!!

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*Disclaimer* I'm not taking sides in this (yet) :), nor am I trying to poke any bears here. I am simply trying to provide some background to the discussion.
Here is the seed where a lot of this started a few years back: www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2352039
Yep. I'm in that thread. :D
What I am wondering is if 'garlic is dangerous' is being said to head off the 'it can't hurt argument'.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Undeniably people are using garlic supplements with success so there's always more to the the story.

Are they though? Humans are highly susceptible to the 'wonders' of potions, tonics, and supplement's .... often in the absence of any supporting data. We feed them to ourselves and to our pets; and frankly, one's predisposition to them reinforces the 'benefits'. "I started feeding my fish garlic extract and amazingly the ich has completely disappeared''. Correlation is not causation. I have no idea whether garlic is good for fish or bad for them, but I do think it is useless. I have tried it as a regular soak ..... made no difference. I have tried it as a an attractant .... made no difference. A new fish will eat, or not, when it is good and ready.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post the 99 studies showing garlic offers benefits as an additive in a marine diet? Please provide the links to 99 articles showing garlic offers a benefit for marine ornamental fish and I may rethink my position.

L, been using your foods when they had garlic and now that they don't. Guess what, no difference. Fish don't eat garlic in the wild, keep it out!

Back