Garlic Xtreme... Does it really help with Ich? Truth or Fiction?

Panama Brown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dosing Garlic Xtreme into my display daily now for years. I have read articles where some say it helps keep Ich at bay and others say its a waste. I just finished off yet another bottle and contemplating if it's even worth keeping around as a daily dose. My fish eat like pigs, regardless of the addition of Garlic Xtreme... I have still had my run ins with Ich even with the use of Garlic Xtreme. I should probably note I also run a UV Sterilizer, but wether you use a UV light or not, that is not what this post is about. What are your thoughts? Good? Bad? Worthless? Make your own garlic extracts? What are the pros doing? TIA

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Based on what I've read - I would say, in general, garlic is a waste. But - I do not know that particular food/supplement.

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its usefull in the sense that it entices fish to eat more. The flavor is said to be like blood to them. It does nothing to the actual parasite itself, hence their are no scientific publications about it (ich isnt just an issue in this hobby, its an issue in the aquaculture industry tenfold and has been studied in depth).

A feeding fish tends to be a healthy fish. A healthy fish tends to fight of ich (Its actually a fairly mild parasite compared to the other commonly seen ones). Hence it indirectly gets labelled as an "ich" band aid.

If your fish are eating vigorously with or without using it then i personally would stop using it, its just an added process, cost.

LateStageReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked this a few days ago if garlic helps eliminate ich and I was told no. the only thing that can help ease ich for your fish truly is the tank transfer method. Stressful yes but imho better and faster than copper in a QT tank.

If you still want to try the garlic in food to help their diet its in the freshly cut cloves of garlic. This must be done every time you plan to feed them as the Allicin is what you want. Allicin has the history of killing parasites.

Simply run RODI water over the garlic and press it mix the fish food in there and let it sit for a few minutes then feed.

let me know how this goes if you try it. very interested.

LateStageReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry I forgot to mention Allicin goes neutral after 30 min hence why it must be done every day as storing this garlic mix would be a waste.

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked this a few days ago if garlic helps eliminate ich and I was told no. the only thing that can help ease ich for your fish truly is the tank transfer method. Stressful yes but imho better and faster than copper in a QT tank.

If you still want to try the garlic in food to help their diet its in the freshly cut cloves of garlic. This must be done every time you plan to feed them as the Allicin is what you want. Allicin has the history of killing parasites.

Simply run RODI water over the garlic and press it mix the fish food in there and let it sit for a few minutes then feed.

let me know how this goes if you try it. very interested.
Is there actually any scientific research in the aquaculture/aquarium trade that details this though?

As far as im aware Allicin gets its track record from the fact it has anti parasitic features against human intestinal parasites but to bring that across to fish in aquariums seems like a stretch.

Generally interested by the way.

LateStageReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there actually any scientific research in the aquaculture/aquarium trade that details this though?

As far as im aware Allicin gets its track record from the fact it has anti parasitic features against human intestinal parasites but to bring that across to fish in aquariums seems like a stretch.

Generally interested by the way.

I have not yet run an experiment but I might just try it since I haven't started a build thread.

Some things that work on humans work on fish. Since this is dietary and not full blown dilution of medication I cant see why allicin would not do its job in a fishes body like it does in our body since its parasites that don't like the Allicin not the other way around.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Garlic is commonly available. If it was effective for ich everyone would know about it and use it. All those ich threads would have posts well duh, did you use the garlic.

I have been keeping fish many decades. The garlic cures ich has come up over and over again. There has never been anything to indicate it does anything except anecdotal replies. There are not even that many of them.

Humans love to attribute medicinal properties to things and sell them to each other. Ones that have a strong odor, funny taste, interesting name or funny color must be especially strong.

iu

53 ingredients. This stuff will make you Einstein.
It is basically a Centum Vitamin with a few nontoxic herbs thrown in for special magical properties.

BoxKing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My personal thought is that adding garlic to the tank is a waste.
Best practice is to soak your dry foods in a few drops prior to feeding the fish. This way you know the garlic is actually being consumed.

I feed garlic mixed with TDO/Seaweed Extreme/Piscene pellet once a week - it also makes me get a savory hankering :)

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to vote gimmick/fable and then Liam's message read really well.

The one aspect I'd add: wheres the garlic sticky in the fish disease forum

why would that be missing from top selected/relayed options

on 100% of the aquarium shows I watch, the zoo ones like georgia aquarium, garlic is only used on the fish when employees were eating dinner after shift. forums love it though

marine conventions never have stalled cycles and literally every cycle in a forum reef tank begins stalled

what's the smell test indicate here, a double standard for the sellers vs buyers on feed and cycling practices?

if garlic entices feeding that is really neat and a legit tool to vector in medicated food then or keep up appetite for healthy feeding. I had never thought of it that way Liam as a way it can contribute to fish health, solid. Im convinced it may have a legit use then.

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snake Oil. Does entice fish to eat, but does nothing for ich. Getting fish eating and healthy does help with ich, so there is that.

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not yet run an experiment but I might just try it since I haven't started a build thread.

Some things that work on humans work on fish. Since this is dietary and not full blown dilution of medication I cant see why allicin would not do its job in a fishes body like it does in our body since its parasites that don't like the Allicin not the other way around.
I can see your point....But im not 100% sure id compare cryptocaryon irritans to intestinal parasites that Allicin is commonly referred with. Not all parasites are equal in that respect.

Regardless, for me, being that the aquaculture industry is a billion doller industry and that parasites are a problem tenfold in that aspect, i imagine the addition of garlic to combat it has been tested on large scientific levels already and we'd know about it if it held its weight.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After using it on a tank of mixed fish what I noticed was it would entice some to eat the food. However it also caused some to turn from food they were normally eating, so it was a wash.
I have had more luck using Selcon as an attractant than garlic.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 134 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back