Gate Valve

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes it will let you control the flow which is needed with a herbie or bean animal style. You will need lots of gate valves when plumbing. They are your friend and can save your tank.

OP
OP
P

premm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it will let you control the flow which is needed with a herbie or bean animal style. You will need lots of gate valves when plumbing. They are your friend and can save your tank.
image0.jpeg

Can I just get another 1 1/4inch PVC female adapter, attach it to the drain & put a ball valve inbetween?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up my tank and was told I need to have a gate valve for the overflow I'm using. I have an Eshopps Eclipse M overflow. My question is what does a gate valve do and is it definitely necessary?
Welcome to Reef2Reef. A gate valve works by creating a siphon on your primary drain line. With a siphon you are able to drain more water than if you let it gravity feed. Siphons also tend to be much quieter due to no air present in the plumbing compared to gravity drain. You can put the gate valve in the drain line wherever its convenient for you. The emergency line should be plumbed unrestricted.

OP
OP
P

premm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef. A gate valve works by creating a siphon on your primary drain line. With a siphon you are able to drain more water than if you let it gravity feed. Siphons also tend to be much quieter due to no air present in the plumbing compared to gravity drain. You can put the gate valve in the drain line wherever its convenient for you. The emergency line should be plumbed unrestricted.
Appreciate the explanation as I'm pretty new to all this and still learning.
Would this fit between the two female adapters?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the explanation as I'm pretty new to all this and still learning.
Would this fit between the two female adapters?
Dont use a ball valve, in my experience they're very hard to tune in, use a gate valve like this one

They're super easy to make slight adjustments to.

They can simply be glued into your plumbing, however for maintenance reasons, I'd put unions on each side of it so the unit can be removed:)
Check out BRS video on plumbing, great advice

OP
OP
P

premm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont use a ball valve, in my experience they're very hard to tune in, use a gate valve like this one

They're super easy to make slight adjustments to.

They can simply be glued into your plumbing, however for maintenance reasons, I'd put unions on each side of it so the unit can be removed:)
Check out BRS video on plumbing, great advice

Would I be able to use this one?

I wouldn't have to wait for shipping & It's only $13 compared to the $50 BRS one
Something just doesn't feel right about paying that for a valve ;Hilarious although I wouldn't mind if I had to

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would I be able to use this one?

I wouldn't have to wait for shipping & It's only $13 compared to the $50 BRS one
Something just doesn't feel right about paying that for a valve ;Hilarious although I wouldn't mind if I had to
Just my opinion, but that's not something you want to cut corners on. A flooded kitchen taught me that early on :) but totally up to you and your goals :) I can only make recommendations

OP
OP
P

premm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my opinion, but that's not something you want to cut corners on. A flooded kitchen taught me that early on :) but totally up to you and your goals :) I can only make recommendations
$50 one it is! no flooded bedroom for me

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a ball valve in a herbie drain. It was acquired from work so no cost to me and it worked just fine for me. It was a Hayward so that could be why I didn't have problems. I am installing a gate valve in my rebuild but also because I acquired at work.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check these out too. Same thing but cheaper. Not sure the difference

gabrieltackitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually just finished the plumbing on my tank this evening with this exact overflow, HERE is the write up on my build thread if you need some ideas of what do.

I got mine from my LFS for $32 including delivery but definitely second the BRS ones above too if you don't mind waiting for shipping(I'm inpatient sometimes and it was the last thing I needed to finish my plumbing.).

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the gate valve I got was only 15 bucks or so, and I would definitely recommend it over a ball valve because there are times where I have to fine tune it and it's way easier to turn a gate valve than a ball valve after a while.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back