Gate valves and adjustable pumps

BRS

Theulli

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
So the aquarium manufacturer for my new tank states you *need* a gate valve on the return line. My understanding is that the gate valve is for tuning the rate of return....is this necessary if you have a return pump that is GPH adjustable? Seems like they would both accomplish the same thing.

Thanks!

Zoanthids

zoa what

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
So the aquarium manufacturer for my new tank states you *need* a gate valve on the return line. My understanding is that the gate valve is for tuning the rate of return....is this necessary if you have a return pump that is GPH adjustable? Seems like they would both accomplish the same thing.

Thanks!
I mean.... why listen to Mfgr recommendations anyway?

Surprise Explode GIF by Channel 7

CK00020

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Depending on what type of drain you are running, it gives you a full suction with a trickle going down the secondary. When I first set mine up the valve was wide open, you get lots of air mixed with water which is noisy. My wife said is that thing always going to be that loud

Maxout
OP
T

Theulli

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Depending on what type of drain you are running, it gives you a full suction with a trickle going down the secondary. When I first set mine up the valve was wide open, you get lots of air mixed with water which is noisy. My wife said is that thing always going to be that loud
Aha! This is what I was missing. I had thought they wanted the gate valve on the return line. This makes much more sense. Thank you!

BRS

Do you house a "Reef Safe" Angelfish in your reef tank?

• YES and it's going good

Votes: 165 41.4%
  • YES but it's not working out

Votes: 11 2.8%
  • NO I have tried it in the past and it didn't work out

Votes: 35 8.8%
  • NO I haven't tried yet

Votes: 174 43.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 14 3.5%
MrReefs