Gathering Intel

Jedi_Master

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m hoping to take the plunge into saltwater later this summer after the move into the new house. I’ve had many freshwater tanks over the years but am interested in putting in a saltwater tank. While doing research I almost pulled the trigger on a RS250. Since then, I’ve really considering the WB Marine X. Bouncing back and forth between the 60.2 and 90.3. Currently leaning towards the 90.3. Looking at some form of Ecotech Radion for lighting (although I’m not sure if I’d need 1 or 2). As for other equipment, I’m not sure. I’d like to eventually and slowly have a mixed reef but easing in over time, and taking it slow. I’d also like to keep it as basic as possible. Any and all suggestions on the above would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m hoping to take the plunge into saltwater later this summer after the move into the new house. I’ve had many freshwater tanks over the years but am interested in putting in a saltwater tank. While doing research I almost pulled the trigger on a RS250. Since then, I’ve really considering the WB Marine X. Bouncing back and forth between the 60.2 and 90.3. Currently leaning towards the 90.3. Looking at some form of Ecotech Radion for lighting (although I’m not sure if I’d need 1 or 2). As for other equipment, I’m not sure. I’d like to eventually and slowly have a mixed reef but easing in over time, and taking it slow. I’d also like to keep it as basic as possible. Any and all suggestions on the above would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
WB and RS make good tanks your will be fine. For the lights I recommend you to check AI Hydras and Kessil. They perform as good as Radions but not that expensive. The powerhead definitely Vortech are the best. For return pump you could go with a COR15 and a Reef Octopus DC skimmer.

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you don't want to build your own cabinet and save money in some places like drilling your own tank so you can buy premium other parts like a royal exclusiv skimmer and return? At your size tank there is some true options if you don't rush it. Tunze power heads, etc... good stuff. Buy used if you can.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the community. Smart plan, ease into it and plan it out, I have been doing that as well and update my equipment list and livestock list as I learn new things. This is a great place for learning as are the Bulk Reef Supply and Tidal Gardens videos on YouTube.

Good luck.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WB and RS make good tanks your will be fine. For the lights I recommend you to check AI Hydras and Kessil. They perform as good as Radions but not that expensive. The powerhead definitely Vortech are the best. For return pump you could go with a COR15 and a Reef Octopus DC skimmer.

Personally, I am a big Red Sea and AI Fan.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't go for a used RSM C250! I bought one in January, and I'll just say that it's been a journey. Red Sea is no longer supporting this line, and that means that parts are impossible to find and very expensive if you do source them. The people at Red Sea support have been nice, but pretty unhelpful on technical info. When I asked them about the hood fans (and how to take them out), they actually directed me to Steve's LEDs! I know that they don't really have any obligation to support someone buying a used product, but I have to say that that answer shocked me. Surely SOMEONE at Red Sea has knowledge...of their OWN product?!

While there's still lots to like about it, including reduced moisture loss and a sturdy design, there are better choices out there. I got mine for a pretty good deal, but -- knowing what I know now -- I probably would have just saved up for a Waterbox.

OP
OP
Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update…..it’s been a few months! I recently pulled the trigger on a WB Marine X 90.3. It was a close call between the WB and RS. Both have good products. I had quite a few gift cards and hit the sale on WB which made the decision a bit easier. I receive the tank in early January so I decided to gather some of the equipment.

So far I’ve accrued the following:

Vectra S2 return pump
Radion Gen 5 XR15 Pro X 2

Looking to get a protein skimmer, heater, and ATO.

Thinking of a Tunze ATO and a Octopus protein skimmer (although not sure what to get here or size).

Size of the sump is 15.5” x 12.3”. Total water volume is 80 gallons.

Anything else I’m missing?

many and all suggestions welcome!

Thanks.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back