GBTA starting to lose color/graying

Utahsaltnoob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

My anemone seems to be losing its color. It’s in aweful location, chosen by itself, away from light and very low flow. It’s not really extending it tentacles or being very bubbly.

I give it food 1-2 time per week and I keep hoping it’ll move but it seems to just want to stay in that aweful location.

I’m considering hitting it with a power head to get it to detach and help it relocated. I hate to see it slowly die under there.

On a side note I have a RBTA who is thriving and for all intents and purposes m water quality is excellent not to toot my own horn.

Thoughts?

FD164FA4-BE11-43B6-B51F-1A5F1131F734.png

B4CCAB91-278C-49C5-957D-0930A0862C27.png

ShaunRobinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of Nem is it? How long has it been in the tank and how long has your tank been running? Do you have a picture of your other Anemone?

To start with I would stop feeding it. Twice a week is far too often and lets be honest, why would you move when you’re getting fed where you are twice a week...

OP
OP
Utahsaltnoob

Utahsaltnoob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of Nem is it? How long has it been in the tank and how long has your tank been running? Do you have a picture of your other Anemone?

To start with I would stop feeding it. Twice a week is far too often and lets be honest, why would you move when you’re getting fed where you are twice a week...
It’s a green bubble tip anemone

Tank is 6-7months old

Green guys been in there 3 months. Same place

Here is a picture of my RBTA

0AC53F2F-75D1-47FD-996F-0B9BA630279E.jpeg

ShaunRobinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a green bubble tip anemone

Tank is 6-7months old

Green guys been in there 3 months. Same place

Here is a picture of my RBTA

0AC53F2F-75D1-47FD-996F-0B9BA630279E.jpeg
Okay, well your other one looks healthy enough so that would indicate your water and tank is probably okay. I usually don’t advise moving a nem because they generally go where they are happy but in this case I would point a powerhead at it and try to get it to move up the rockwork out into the open so it gets some light. You’ll probably find it has a little more colour than you think and the good thing is that it doesn’t look on deaths door. I also wouldn’t worry too much about it bubbling up, some do and some don’t even 2 of the same nems right next to each other.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 3 month old tank was probably to new when you added it. How long has the RBTA been in your tank. What size tank? What are your parameters? You really should not need to feed an anemone directly at all.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with OceanGlass Box, I've tried 5~6 GBTAs in my RBTA dominated tank and none have survived longterm. Don't know why because you always see variations of BTAs snuggled against each other.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had green and rose BTAs together for 20 years. I have approximately 25 BTAs in my 300 from 3 different original BTAs. I do know that some well respected authorities say mixing anemones is bad. It has not ben my experience with just BTAs.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the same, I even have a Magnifica in there that is fine but every green version BTA that I introduce would disintegrate over a course of a few weeks and they were healthy specimens that I would handpick at a LFS or show.

OP
OP
Utahsaltnoob

Utahsaltnoob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t know that they could kill each other from across the aquarium!

In the event it dies, how will I know it’s dead? Will it fall off the rock?

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually eventually find them falling apart on the sandbed and I syphon them out with a small water change. The cleaned, dried out bucket will smell for days, Lol!

OP
OP
Utahsaltnoob

Utahsaltnoob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update, I was preparing to pick up a corpse soon and happy to report the green guy saw the light (literally!)
He moved to a great spot, low flow and good lighting and is looking better every day.

I did hit jinn with a power head for a few hours to try and move him but stopped and he moved a few days later

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back