OP
OP
geekengineer

geekengineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here is where I think I put the saltwater mixing station in my basement. I think I'm going to get new pump that has better head capability so I can pump saltwater to the tank upstairs. I had an old one but it is a flow pump.

20190317_185306.jpg

OP
OP
geekengineer

geekengineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did it last time and it was kinda a pain running the hose around and I still have one. In the case of the new location of my tank I have to hook it up to the kitchen sink which the wife probably won't like that idea. lol

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol, a pain is a understatement! Wish I was able to run hard pipe from basement to the tank. Atm, I need to run the hose from the tank to my basement laundry sink. Mix the salt water there, then and connect the hose to a pump to bring it back up. Once I move, I hope to do something similar but have hard pvc running along the basement ceiling and through the floor to the tank instead of winding/unwinding the python hose. That way i can just turn some valves for water changes.

OP
OP
geekengineer

geekengineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to gather up some of the old plumbing supplies I had laying around to see if I can make use of those first before I go out and buy more.. Needless to say I'm feeling lazy tonight and don't want to do it. lol Maybe I will get motivated here later. ;Sorry

OP
OP
geekengineer

geekengineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So hopefully I didn't jump too far ahead but I put 20lbs of reef sand in my tank and setup the rock by sort of just winging it. I might change it as I go later on and take them out when I working on the plumbing. I wasn't sure how much reef sand I should have for a 40 breeder but would less or more be better?
20190319_212456.jpg

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The depth of the sandbed is whats important. I've read alot of forums when looking into this and the general agreement is:
-roughly 1 1/2 to 2 inches for a shallow bed (more preferred)
-over 3 inches for a deep bed but it requires animals to maintain it.

Here is one of the videos, there are plenty of others.

OP
OP
geekengineer

geekengineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I go ahead and put 40 pounds in then that will be a good compromise. I forgot I got to paint the back of the aquarium as well. So I have to get some drop cloth so I don't paint everything else.. :)

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have always used the $1 spray paint from home depot to paint my tanks black (always black, no exceptions) and it works very well. excellent coverage, very durable.

for your lights, 2x150w mh is plenty on its own. I'm going to run 1x175w mogul mh with 4x t5. you could easily get away w/2x t5. VHO is super old school. i bet that fixture you have is 15 years old or older.

OP
OP
geekengineer

geekengineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I got some potentially bad news that I probably should be holding off on until I know for sure. I might have to shut down the reef project for a bit. :(

OP
OP
geekengineer

geekengineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK well its official I'm looking for a new job.. :( So I debating on if I should at least get the setup to the point where I can let it cycle for a while in hopes that it doesn't take me too long to find a new job. I guess life throws you curve balls.

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that. I would definitely start cycling and ghost feeding until something comes up. You don't have to run lights or your pump, just a heater and have something like a air stone or wave maker to break the surface.

Last edited:
OP
OP
geekengineer

geekengineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I was nervous too and I prefer not to have to do drilling too often lol. I used one of those Drill guides which I think helped a bit. I also ended up clamping a wood board behind the glass to keep the amount of chip out minimal when the drill goes through. Also if your drilling for the eshoppe eclipse overflow make sure you get the hole in the right spot and don't put it too low. Everyone also told me to do it as slow as you can let the weight of the drill push down onto the glass and don't' try to force it especially at the end.

EDIT: yes I used plumbers putty in a circle under the drill guide so when I put the water in it would stay in a puddle where your drilling the hole.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back