Geisemann Futura vs Illumagic Blaze

RyanSweet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doss anyone have any experience with these two lights? I’m trying to decide between the two for my new tank build (120gal 48x24x24). Geisemann obviously is the bigger name, but I don’t see any uv diodes in the clusters. Illumagic is lesser known, at least around the Midwest where I live, but seems to have a big following in Australia and some pretty great number themselves.

Help me r2r community and give me some opinions to consider.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Ilumagic BlazeX minis and I like them. FWIW.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank do you have them over? How does the app stack up?
Standard 125. They supplement my other lights giving additional punch where I have glass cross braces. The app is decent as so many apps are but effective enough.
20190224_113206.jpg

OP
OP
RyanSweet

RyanSweet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have the Geisemann and want to chime in on pros/cons?

lieberca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I replaced an AP700 with the Blaze 60 on my 40x17x16, as I wanted the "actinic" pop of a Radion but I'm also a nonconformist so once I saw Luis Rosa's video on Reefbuilders I ended on Illumagic. Color is great, adjustment is great, app is dated but easy to figure out, fixture looks great, fans are audible and cycle on and off. Some have complained that it doesn't come with preloaded profiles, which you would think Illumagic could add given the (also from Reefbuilders) 5 year study at an acro farm.

I'd looked at the Futura, too, but couldn't justify the added cost.

bckey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 blaze x 90's on a 112 lagoon. They are good lights and in the short time I have used them (6 weeks or so) they have been great. My corals love them and I noticed growth pretty quick. You have to be real careful with channel A. I burned up some trumpet corals. Once I got that channel dialed down everything was ok. That is probably my only complaint is the lack of information on light settings. These things are built like a tank and the pucks and fans are user replaceable. There is a good review by Marcus on Youtube here:
And a great video on Luis Rosa's aquarium that has these lights here:

OP
OP
RyanSweet

RyanSweet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@bckey, thanks for the reply and the videos. I think I’m going to pull the trigger on the Illumagic. Just got back from vacation and am itching to get the new tank up and going, though I do have a 48” reefbreeders led that would work in the meantime, I’d rather have the new lights from day 1 so there are less changes once I’m up and running fully

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@bckey, thanks for the reply and the videos. I think I’m going to pull the trigger on the Illumagic. Just got back from vacation and am itching to get the new tank up and going, though I do have a 48” reefbreeders led that would work in the meantime, I’d rather have the new lights from day 1 so there are less changes once I’m up and running fully
We do offer a 10% loyalty discount on the V2+ if you're an original owner :p

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back